Confession Time

Blondie

I have to get this off my chest. I didn't sand the walls of my house. :giggle:

My excuse is that this is my first dollhouse and I've never painted anything either. I read all of your posts about how you were sanding, but I didn't realize its importance. So as I painted today, my little foam brush scraped against the walls with a lovely little irritating sound. Oopsie.

My dad told me to sand the walls now and then paint again. The real question is...do I have the patience? I think not. I want to get that staircase in so I can keep building!!

But the dollhouse is just for me, so I don't have to worry about any little hands going in there and getting scratched...yet. Plus, it's not like there are daggers sprouting out of the walls!! (Until I decorate...)

I'm trying to justify...feel guilty.... :D

(More painting pics in gallery--I'm a bad painter!)

post-1461-1164133346_thumb.jpg

Sanding the walls makes the paint adhere -- stick -- better, and the glue for the wallpaper. And when the wallpaper is installed, it'll lay flatter against a smooth wall. But you're right..it's YOUR house, you do with it what you want to do with it! When it becomes a CHORE, or no longer fun, then....well...it's not fun! :giggle:

Looks good! You've done a LOT with it already. My Garfield took me MUCH longer to get to that stage.

You dó what your house wants you to do LOL ! For me sanding works a little like therapy :giggle: yup I know I am a bit weird but it is something special with that piece of sanpaper between the hand and the house....

I like what you have done with the house so far, looking forward seeing your progress with it as well!

Hugs

I hate sanding too :yikes: , I didn't sand the walls in either the garfield or the harrison :D , ok I HAD to sand the outside of the harrison it was that bad because of the old paint and glue :batman: (hated every minute of it too :giggle: ). The garf came out fine and so did the interior of the harrison. So it's up to you if you want to sand or not that's fine, just so your happy with it that's what matters. :thumb:

Hey...I didn't sand my walls either...I attribute the little flaws in my Orchid to the fact that it's supposed to be an OLD house...and old houses have flaws...right??? I see them as part of the charm of the building...Okay, okay...I was just too lazy to do the sanding...LOL...maybe next time??? Hee hee hee hee!!!

My rule of thumb: if it looks rough after I prime it, I sand it (unless it's raggedy). I also sometimed spread a very thin, diluted layer of spackle and sand that, if it's raggedy. If I need more than one coat of paint to cover a wall I've been known to sand between coats. If it looks OK without, I don't.

Hey...I didn't sand my walls either...I attribute the little flaws in my Orchid to the fact that it's supposed to be an OLD house...and old houses have flaws...right??? I see them as part of the charm of the building...Okay, okay...I was just too lazy to do the sanding...LOL...maybe next time??? Hee hee hee hee!!!

Yep, old houses have flaws... I live in one... Gracie May, (my house) was built in 1889, the walls are Lath and Plaster and a few still have the "cheese cloth" on.. I have taken most of that off... the walls are plaster with lots of coats of paint on.., but it seems to add to her charm... On my dollhouse... I started out not sanding, but have caught up and sanded all the walls, and repainted, the paint does look better at least in the Fairfield I am doing, maybe it is because I am using all white paint.. one coat paint should not take 3 coats to cover... :yikes:

Have a wonderful day..

Karen

I do sand my walls and such, but, since I am making 3 houses right now that have to be done before Christmas, I have taken to only sanding where little hands will be.

All I can say is sorry window trim! Better luck with the sand paper next time lol

I still feel guilty though..........Don't think that is quite normal.......hehe

I only sand luan if it looks rough on the flat sides. I use a fairly light touch with the edges (sometimes it's easy to get carried away...), and a couple of times I just had to take a fingerful of spackling compound and finish smoothing the edges that way.