Anyone used 1/24 brick sheets?

grazhina

I'm going to be showing a bit of brick on parts of my 1:24 cottage row and would really like to be able to use some kind of brick sheet that I can adapt to my needs. Egg carton bricks are too bulky, and I just tried making bricks out of a foam plate, but not too happy with them either. For one thing, the paint rubs off easily and I can't spray them because they'll melt. Any experience out there with plastic or pressed paper brick sheets?

10 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

I still use sandpaper:

Yeah, I could do that. I'd really prefer to avoid cutting out scads of 1/8" x 3/8" pieces and gluing them on. Especially gluing them on. They'll stick to my fingers before they stick where I want them to stick

2 hours ago, grazhina said:

Yeah, I could do that. I'd really prefer to avoid cutting out scads of 1/8" x 3/8" pieces and gluing them on. Especially gluing them on. They'll stick to my fingers before they stick where I want them to stick

I confess I use a pair of old tweezers...

I have used that beick paper and it does look pretty good, although obviously quite flat. Two things: I sealed my sheets well after gluing them on, with a clear matte varnish (the paper is very soft). And I coloured some of the bricks (before varnishing!) indiviually to add a little more variation.

I have also used styrene sheets (not brick but timber, and roofing sheets) and love the detail, but it does tend to scratch off if you’re not careful. I think maybe a coat of varnish would help. I use them on my finished display models and they get carted around in the car and there are few scratches, so it’s not a big issues. 

1 hour ago, shannonc60 said:

I have used that beick paper and it does look pretty good, although obviously quite flat. Two things: I sealed my sheets well after gluing them on, with a clear matte varnish (the paper is very soft). And I coloured some of the bricks (before varnishing!) indiviually to add a little more variation.

I have also used styrene sheets (not brick but timber, and roofing sheets) and love the detail, but it does tend to scratch off if you’re not careful. I think maybe a coat of varnish would help. I use them on my finished display models and they get carted around in the car and there are few scratches, so it’s not a big issues. 

Thanks Shannon. I was fooling around with 2 kinds of sandpaper for bricks, wasn't happy with that, couldn't get the bricks all the same width or to line up very well. I tried embossing poster board, then painting the bricks, not happy with that either. The bricks cut from the foam paper plate actually wound up looking the best, but I was afraid they would still wind up too thick, so I took the plunge and ordered a couple sheets of World Model antique brick sheets. I hope I like them.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, shannonc60 said:

I just remembered. I bought this a couple of years ago and was really happy with how it turned out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/16-SHEETS-EMBOSSED-BUMPY-BRICK-PAPER-LANDSCAPE-21x29cm-SCALE-1-24-/312788572065?hash=item48d3a6d7a1

Have been meaning to buy some more sheets but always forget.

Yes, I saw them on Etsy, but the delivery time was weeks and weeks, too long a wait for me. 

Ordered 2 brick sheets Thursday on ebay, they arrived yesterday afternoon. They look good, heavy paper, and they have a bit of texture to them. Too bad we're supposed to be in the 90's up here for 3 days, the third floor workroom is way too hot to stay up there for very long when it's over 85, only bearable when sitting directly in front of the fan. 

• Like 1