Paperclay Help Instruction Needed

Can anyone give me detailed instructions on how to paperclay a dollhouse? I have no idea how to do the outside walls to look like brick or stone or how to do the roof tiles. Are the roof tiles done individually? Are they done in a large section? Done in strips? Please help. I have an Orchid on the way and I can't wait to get started. I have seen many lovely houses done this way and they are amazing. Help with painting and everything else that goes with paperclaying is needed. I have read what I can find on this website but I'm still not sure where to begin. If I want to make a kit larger what is the best material to use? I read that many people use foamcore and paperclay over that.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

Mark & Darlene

There is another thread already started (by Betty), called "Paperclay". Some of your questions have been answered there. I'm learning also, so I've been following the other thread for tips and techniques. :D

I've been asking questions about paper clay in the other thread, but here is a link to Tracy's directions for covering a fireplace with paper clay. I'm going to use these when I attempt to cover a chimney with paper clay. I thought I'd start small and work my way up to a whole house. :D Hope the link works. I've printed out the directions so I can have them by my side when I begin.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...p?showtopic=866

LPCullen (Linda) gives very detailed instructions on using paper clay and making bricks in her orchid blog.

Linda's blog She even tells how to paint them. I found it very informative although I've not tried a whole house only a fireplace.

Did you find this link that was posted not long ago in another thread?

http://www.minimotion.com/HOWTO/howtopage.html

Hope it helps a bit! :D

OK...thanks. I've got it saved.

LPCullen (Linda) gives very detailed instructions on using paper clay and making bricks in her orchid blog.

Linda's blog She even tells how to paint them. I found it very informative although I've not tried a whole house only a fireplace.

That is amazing and I printed it out. Lots of good information. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished house now.

I used her blog to put bricks on the front of my Arthur. Her detailed instructions were great. It really wasn't hard to do, just kind of tedious, but I like that kind of challange. Here is a picture of my Arthur so far.

Hi!

The best advice I can give you is to follow Tracy's directions (in the fireplace class) and Linda's blog. These will give you a good idea and lots of hints on technique.

Working with clay is not particularly difficult but it does take practice to get the look you want. You might want to start with the chimney and fireplace to get a feel for working with it. You might love working it and on the other hand you might hate it. I'd always suggest that you try a new technique in a small way before attempting to apply it to the entire house.

As to additions, you can add on using either wood (my preference) or foamcore and then finish the addition in the same manner as you do the rest of the house -- siding, brick, clay whatever.

Have fun :clap:

Tracy, Linda & Nutti, among others, have taken classes with Rik Pierce and have a lot of useful ifo on working with paperclay.

I have used both wood and foamcore for bashing, you just have to be more careful handling the foamcore (warping, folding) than wood.

Irene, your Arthur looks fab-jewel-ous!

That is such a wonderful little house and I can feel it calling to me! LOL!

I came across Linda Cullen's tut on bricks today and it is brilliant!

I'm really happy with the result of the paper clay bricks. I couldn't have done it without Linda's tutoral. Yes brilliant in that it is so detailed. If anyone wants to do bricks or stone, look it up. If I can do it anybody can! :clap:

OK...thanks. I've got it saved.

That is amazing and I printed it out. Lots of good information. Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished house now.

Thank you! I'm glad I could help! Bricks are fun to make. The painting gets a bit tedious, but it's still fun.

I used her blog to put bricks on the front of my Arthur. Her detailed instructions were great. It really wasn't hard to do, just kind of tedious, but I like that kind of challange. Here is a picture of my Arthur so far.

WOWSERS! That's a right good looking Arthur Irene!

I came across Linda Cullen's tut on bricks today and it is brilliant!

Thank you!

That looks very good. It looks very tedious, but I'm glad to hear that it wasn't really that hard. I found a beat up dollhouse at a flea market and I'm fixing it up...God willing. :) Anyway, the longest journey begins with the first step so I'm going to start with the chimney and go from there.

Thanks for the encouragement! :monkeydance: I'm really having fun with this house. I could have never done or even thought of doing any of this without the ideas and help from this forum :)