Grandpa's new project

BigC

6 hours ago, havanaholly said:

All this discussion about chimney pots reminds me of my favorite Lord Peter Wimsey mystery, Busman's Honeymoon.

We all know its the little things that matter most Holly :) 

Well today I had a go at making a chimney stack for the Georgian Town House. Although I will need a pair, I wanted to try and get things into scale, so after some cutting and re-cutting I managed to fashion something that is perhaps passable as a chimney....see what you think...It/they still need rubbing down, filling, priming, cladding and painting before they are complete.

Have I got something or should I look for a commercial product?

Regards

C

Chimney.jpg

4 hours ago, havanaholly said:

I can't imagine any commercially available product looking any better, if as good, as what you've got there.

Great encouragement to carry on making a second chimney stack in the same vane...Thanks Holly.

• Like 1

The Roof is starting to take on a new life with its walled balustrade. Still a bit rough around the edges needs a little sanding down before primer. It don't look too bad for a novice. I cant wait to affix the windows and door with quoins running down each lateral edge of the building

Regards

C

roof.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Beulah said:

It is looking superb, great job, 

Gosh."Really" thanks Beulah.

If I was being really hypercritical I would have liked a little more space between the chimney stacks (longer roof ridge) but I think is okay for a first attempt. I also  wanted to keep the roof a low as possible without being flat...On hindsight maybe I should have included pillars along the balustrade instead of mitred corners (but I didn't want the roof area projecting too far out....I may shorten the chimney stacks just a little. Just a few wee minor things standing out for me to be picky about but trying to convince myself that it looks fine....but you know the score, once you pick up on something that you perceive to be "not quite right"... or as it should be....then it irritates you and plays on your mind..or is that OCD :)

Regards

C

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigC said:

once you pick up on something that you perceive to be "not quite right"... or as it should be....then it irritates you and plays on your mind..or is that OCD

It may be bordering on OCD, but it's the truth. Something perceived to be a little off can become a major focal point until something is done about it.

• Like 3

Once you receive the windows and temporarily place them, it will all come together. Don’t question your design at this point. The large blank wall is throwing off your perspective. “Patience young grasshopper” (from Kung Fu a 1970’s US TV show).

Nobody said this roofing was easy......

Today I made a start on the roof tiles...to be honest I'm flying a little blind..I've gone with 3mm ply strips and notched out 3/4 of the way into its height  to form a tile shape, I then began to layer and taper these to the contour of the roof (I hope I'm doing this correctly). *all measurements were taken. It didn't turn out too bad, but again it will all be in the finishing...that's when I'll be asking the most questions, so please forgive me if I'm boring anyone. :) 

Roofing.jpg

• Like 1

Colin, I have not commented on your build yet but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been lurking around.  I got to say...most impressive!  I really like the grooves on the bottom floor, great detail!  What happened to the stonework along the side of the building from earlier photos?  Quoins are the called?  Are the coming back?  I like that detail as well. 

44 minutes ago, Keifer said:

Colin, I have not commented on your build yet but that doesn’t mean I haven’t been lurking around.  I got to say...most impressive!  I really like the grooves on the bottom floor, great detail!  What happened to the stonework along the side of the building from earlier photos?  Quoins are the called?  Are the coming back?  I like that detail as well. 

Thank you Keith...The grooves really did turn out well, I used the Dremel in a depth gauge and ran the gauge up against a straight edge (piece of scrap wood) moving it along to each measure....

The quoins as you are clearly fond of haven't gone away...they are still a major part of the look I'm trying to achieve...Problem was the first set measurements were too small, there were simply too many up that wall ...20 odd I think....on reflection I thought it was too much and made it look to much like a castle. These are what I'm working on at the minute but larger and a reduced number, again I dont want to go too large its finding a balance..I think I have a good size mapped out, all I can do is cut them and try, if the dont suit then I'll re-cut them until I'm happy they look right....A saw blade broke in the scrollsaw (I have loads of replacements) so I've retired for this evening and resume in the morning...Sure what else would you rather be doing on Christmas Day hahahaha :) 

22 hours ago, KathieB said:

I agree with Sable about the blank wall throwing off the perspective. The pots look to be the right size to me, at least from the angle the photo was taken. 

You both are probably correct in your assumptions and I thank you sincerely for your comments to this thread,

But I still cant help thinking that the ridge would look better if it was longer.....I'll leave it for now until the front is complete and re address the situation if need be. On recent viewing MikeUK's gallery photos of a Georgian style property I may refashion the chimney stacks so as they fit onto the side slopes of the roof rather than on top..that might help somewhat...all the plans are in my head...nothing is written down or measured from books, although I did buy a few literal works  for inspirational purposes...Christmas Day has arrived, a day to be spent with family so I don't suppose I will get too much done on the house today, but I've inserted a new blade in the scroll saw and if I get the chance I'll sneak off into the workshop, alcohol content permitting off course :) ..Have a great day folks 

Both Brian Long (The Authentic Georgian Dolls' House) and Derek Rowbottom (Making Georgian Dolls' Houses) have published books about Georgian dollshouses and I have stitched a fair few rugs from Pamela Warner's book of Georgian needlework patterns (Miniature Embroidery for the Georgian Dolls' House); the first is a Sterling Publication, the other two are published by The Guild of Master Craftsmen, I believe.  And Christmas Day comes but once a year, so go celebrate with your family; the house will wait for you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Both Brian Long (The Authentic Georgian Dolls' House) and Derek Rowbottom (Making Georgian Dolls' Houses) have published books about Georgian dollshouses and I have stitched a fair few rugs from Pamela Warner's book of Georgian needlework patterns (Miniature Embroidery for the Georgian Dolls' House); the first is a Sterling Publication, the other two are published by The Guild of Master Craftsmen, I believe.  And Christmas Day comes but once a year, so go celebrate with your family; the house will wait for you.

Agreed Holly...I love books. I purchased 3 (used recently via Amazon)..all three for under £10 GBP...what a steal..they are amazing as they are informative. Derek Rowbottom (Making Georgian Dolls' Houses) is among the treasure trove..I will check out the others you have listed for sure. Lo and Behold I can get Brian Long's book for the price of a pint of beer..Thats a must buy...Thanks Holly

Brian Long's Book

48 minutes ago, havanaholly said:

Have miter blocks in both metal & plastic.  Use scrap wood to protect the bottom of the miter box from the saw teeth.

And to protect the saw teeth from the metal

• Like 1

Question:-

I am planning on using real brick slips or stencil and brick mortar for the main body of the building front and sides..do I fit the windows before I start this long journey ...or after?? ...maybe a stupid question to the professional builders but help me out here :) please.

Regards

C

s-l1600 (2).jpg

The thickness of the bricks and how you want your window trim to sit (proud or flush) will determine the answer.

Since you are using MDF, you need to consider if they make the walls too deep for your windows. If they do and you still want to use them, you will have to pad the inner frames of your windows with basswood or similar to make them the correct thickness to reach through the walls and be flush with your interior wall ready for interior trim. :) 

On the outside, fit the windows into place and trace around the frame. Remove the windows. Leave the frame area empty as you do the bricking. When the bricking is finished and you're ready to install the windows, they will slip right into place with the bricks nicely butted against the frame.

• Like 1