Major Sale near Kansas City Memorial Day Weekend 2015

KathieB

I spent another few hours in the basement this evening. Now nearly all of the miniatures stuff is out and marked. Now for the REST of the stuff ... *sigh* ... Oh, would that it all would be mini!

Sharon has promised to come back near the end of the sale in an effort to keep lovely stuff from going to the curb.

Gee, Kathy, it sounds here like you are quitting building miniatures completely. Please say it isn't true?

Like Holly, my stash of kits is big enough to outlast me. I'll be mini-ing to the end, dear heart, with projects already in New Orleans.

• Like 1

With two households Kathie kept enough goodies both places so she wouldn't have to haul all of it back & forth.  I had a little taste of that with the two kits I built on the road in our RV, and it's an unnecessary PIA.

We're already renting storage space in NOLA, mostly for L's art collection and more supplies than he can possible use in a lifetime. There just isn't room for any more mini stuff. (I am bringing my dollhouses, most of them, several of which will have to remain in storage or be periodically rotated into the condo for display.)

It is still a work in progress. He wants to cover it with white/silver paper and fabric. At first he tried to get me to do it, but I just took him on a tour of a couple of fabric shops to show him the range of fabrics and trims and Michael's scrapbook paper section and let him have at it. He has a heavy hand with glue and tends to use the wrong ones, so a few sections got messed up and have been redone or are awaiting redoing, but the end is in sight.

Anyone on the board going to this who might be interested in buying and shipping to someone who can't get to it? Happy to reimburse by paypal or check. If Kathie has anything I'm looking for, that is?

What are you looking for? If it's left over after the sale, I might consider shipping it to you.

I'm interested in lots of things, but may have to pick and choose, as I have a little budget: not more than $200. Let's see: I love kits, like HOM furniture, needlepoint rugs, vintage stained glass...and of course dollhouses, but they might be out of my price range this time. Looking for certain furniture and wallpaper, but I might need pictures...Anyone interested, I'm happy to PM my email so I can see any. Sorry if I sound a little vague.

Update: A couple of the dollhouse kits have sold, the Westville and the Lighthouse, and a couple of the heart arbor kits. Much of the miniature stuff is gone. :) Day one of the sale is behind us. Beautiful sunny day, mid 70s F brought out a lot of people. There were some who came in the morning and returned in the afternoon to buy more. Only two people asked if I'd lower a price, so apparently my pricing is good for moving stuff. I advertised our extensive library of art and history books as being free, and that brought in a lot of people. All but a few bought other items. No book left today. Today (Sunday) it is raining at 6 am and the radar map indicates it will be doing so most of the day. We'll see how it goes.

It's amazing how many of our acquaintances from here are stopping by to tell us how they're going to miss us. I don't know why. We never really mixed with them outside of various community events. We're not going to miss very many of them. 

Sharon, I'm glad you were able to get stuff you can use! Only two dollhouses left, the Van Buren and Glencroft, plus a couple heart arbors and a Primrose. If somebody buys 2 doll house kits, they get a Primrose for free. :D  

The house is emptying. It's interesting to see what draws folks to the table and what doesn't.  Norma Jeane insisted that she take the silver serving dishes home and polish them. It was quite a chore, and I really did try to convince her that this is a garage sale, not a Neiman Marcus display room. Despite her efforts, not one person has picked up a piece of silver. I guess lots of people just don't do silver any more. Not much interest in table linens, either. 

Most of the items are priced under $10, but we've sold some big ticket items, too. I sold a Japanese sword today that I thought wouldn't sell at all. It takes the right person to connect with the right item, and bingo! a sale is made. 

I'm not much into silver but a Japanese sword would have gone home with me!!

Hmm?? I'm thinking I'm remembering a little lady would said she'd love a Glencroft down AL direction. Maybe it's destined to that location and that's why it's still waiting patiently.

You know a Prim might be a great outbuilding for your BH - you know - Lloyds art studio or your workshop replica, or a summer kitchen or, or, or ....

PS. Glad your sale is going so well. I'm sure you'll be glad when it's over but it's an experience to remember never-the-less.

Lloyd keeps agitating for a rental trailer to pull behind our car. I'm adamantly against it. There's a pile of stuff in our bedroom (aka one-room apartment) that I'm going to pack into boxes and ship to a cousin in NOLA for us to pick up when we get there. My half-built Pierce is going in the car and whatever else we can fit around it, and that's IT. If Sharon wants to come get the remaining two kits and other mini stuff to share with her friends, that will be their fate.

I didn't see Loyd Saturday, thought maybe he'd already gone?

You still have tomorrow's sale too!

We do have the sale tomorrow. If you want to come over, you can take all the rest of the mini stuff to share with your friends. I really don't want to kick it to the curb. Would much rather give it to you!

Lloyd was feeling a bit under the weather on Saturday. He holed up in our one room apartment (aka the master bedroom :D ) and slept most of the day. He's feeling much better today.

I packed two boxes to UPS to cousin Gloria. I think the rest will fit in the car. If not, I'll pack another box or two!

Moving is exhausting, having a garage sale is exhausting, I'm exhausted just thinking how it must be to do both at once!

I'm glad Lloyd is feeling better!

We sold a house once, they made a cash offer on Friday night, wanted us out by the following Wednesday, luckily they wanted to also buy most of our furniture, but getting everything else out of the house by weds at noon - I slept Thursday and Friday! My friend was in Europe for a week, he came home and stopped at my house, which was no longer my house!

And you are driving to New Orleans?! You are strong

Moving is exhausting, having a garage sale is exhausting, I'm exhausted just thinking how it must be to do both at once!

I'm glad Lloyd is feeling better!

We sold a house once, they made a cash offer on Friday night, wanted us out by the following Wednesday, luckily they wanted to also buy most of our furniture, but getting everything else out of the house by weds at noon - I slept Thursday and Friday! My friend was in Europe for a week, he came home and stopped at my house, which was no longer my house!

And you are driving to New Orleans?! You are strong

At least we have a fully functioning condo at the other end, so we can stock the refrigerator and crash into a waiting bed and not have to hunt for bath towels and our toothbrushes. :D

I can't imagine having to move an entire household in such a short time. Even when your DH was telling us about it the other day, it seemed unreal. 

Yes, we're driving to NOLA. We do it in two days, stopping for the night near Memphis. It's interstate all the way, which is boring but not difficult. I've booked us into the local Comfort Inn for tonight and tomorrow night, as the unsold furniture is leaving tonight and we're too old and brittle to sleep on the floor. Tomorrow we can load the car, ship the UPS boxes, return the modem to the internet folks, and do all of the "before we leave town" errands. A cleaning crew will come in to do the final cleaning of the house. Wednesday morning we'll put the pedal to the metal and be home in New Orleans Thursday afternoon.

• Like 1