Looking for best kit to bash into a specific house design

rbytsdy

Hi folks, I am thinking of making a house that looks somewhat like this:

http://littlehousebytheferry.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/img_3768.jpg

I am still gathering details (trying to fashion it after an old family house), but I believe that it will need to have a multi-pitched roof line (I think that's what it's called, two different angles?), covered porch, and dormers. I am pretty sure that this is NOT a bungalow; I have seen it described as a "country house" but maybe the architects among us can tell me more about it.

I was thinking the Laurel or the Creekside Cabin to start with; any other ideas? The Adams has that roofline already but it's too small for what I'm wanting.

So one inch scale? What about two Adams?

On second thought, I don't think that will give you sufficient height. The foundation and first level makes me think of the Diana. But you would have to completely change the front roof and modify the sides to get the pitch right.

Lovely house btw.

Ha! Two downhill ski slope kits. It has sufficent second story height for you to cut that roof angle from the overhang, and with two of the kits you could add the additional front window panels to get the width. You'd need to do a foundation, and get the trim. You could probably use standard dormers.

<checking pulse rate> Wow, I hear the word "bash" and it triggers a whole Pavlovian response. Cool!

Perhaps a Laurel/ski shop bash? I like Debora's idea of using the downhill ski shop kits and if you throw a Laurel into the mix, you might have something there. <starting to drool and twitch> I think that might work in a Franken-house kind of bash where you pick and choose components of each and really take it to a whole new level. If anyone can do it, it would be you!

Thanks for the ideas, folks! I had forgotten about the downhill ski kit. That is more than I wanted to pay but that little farmstead house sure is a beaut!

I am getting conflicting stories now about how the old house looks (one pitch? two pitch? three dormers intead of two?), so I am going to have to get someone to go photograph it for me if it's still standing. Or, find some more brains to pick about it. :prop: I don't plan to build an aged house, but I think that I have to get the basic architecture right in order for it to be recognizable...

Depending on what you find out, how about just bashing the Laurel by cutting down the walls to make it a two story instead of three (cut out the second story and use the first and third story sections of the walls only) and dropping the roof down to pitch into the porch roof? Leave off the porch wrap and add some dormers and I think you might be onto something. Looking at the Laurel from this angle, it seems like it might work.

laurel2.jpg

• Like 1

I think you're onto something, Deb-- I want it to be a modestly-sized house, but big enough for a few rooms (kitchen and living room, powder room and bedroom), and I think that starting with the Laurel will enable me to do that.

• Like 1

Okay, we have a pic!

post-928-0-95432900-1420328049_thumb.jpg

I think that I will have to make up some things, but this gives me a good idea; that porch post makes me think "bungalow style", and it does look like the porch roof has a less steep pitch than the main roof. The dormer looks like it's a single unit with multiple windows within it.

I think that I will truncate the house so as to keep only the front 2/3 of it.

It does not look like the window trim is a different color, so maybe some white-on-white is the way to go here.