Garfield - question about tabs and gluing

iwishtofish

Well, Holly, I may be off the hook. I just got a text from UPS saying my replacement part is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the rough draft of my "distraction" is this here (not sure why I'm posting this in this thread...):

Back (stays open):

roughdraft01post_zpsa9c942ef.jpg

Front (will have a door/windows...porch?):

roughdraft03post_zpsdc5b3d85.jpg

Other angles:

roughdraft04post_zpsa4464f1e.jpg

roughdraft02post_zpsb014bb66.jpg

Going to break down to mark and cut windows, doors, and staircase holes now. Trusty jigsaw! :)

Looking good. Good luck with your deadline. (love my jigsaw!!)

Nice bones. It will be as much fun to decorate as it is to build. :D

Truly a great start Bryan but you have set yourself one heck of a deadline.............nice bit of woodwork though. Thumbs up from here!

Thanks, everyone! I'm not too worried about the deadline because this is a bare-bones thing. I might glue trim around the windows and will try to fashion some very simple stairs, but aside from that all that really must be done is painting. I was going to shingle the roof with cut popsicle sticks, but decided I might run out of time with that. The Garfield is the more serious project.

I can't take credit for this design, either, I should add. The inspiration came from here http://stylebyemilyhenderson.com/blog/2011/09/page/2/

I have seen others like it.

That is going to be a really cute house,Bryan! I like Kathie's idea for the stone texture paint-it does look really good. My suggestion was that you could even glue on some large sheets of sandpaper and paint it black,grey,or even green for faux asphalt roofing. Painting the sandpaper makes it less 'scratchy' and looks really good,imo. Can't wait to see the finished project!

Spray paint the roof with a stone-texture paint ... it will look great.

Kathie, I'm intrigued...can one get the stuff easily?

That is going to be a really cute house,Bryan! I like Kathie's idea for the stone texture paint-it does look really good. My suggestion was that you could even glue on some large sheets of sandpaper and paint it black,grey,or even green for faux asphalt roofing. Painting the sandpaper makes it less 'scratchy' and looks really good,imo. Can't wait to see the finished project!

That's a neat idea with the sandpaper, Kat. Don't get your expectations high for this house - I don't have time to make it very fancy! :)

• Like 1

Bryan, stone-texture paint comes in aerosol form and a variety of colors and textures and I've seen it at the big box hardware stores.

Thanks, Holly.

What Holly said. Walmart, Ace hardware, Lowe's, Home Depot ... wherever spray paint is sold. I've used it on side walls for a quick stucco-like look. Painted roof, sprayed sides -- see it here.

Looks great in those pictures. I saw it at a local hardware store today for about $12/can. One concern is the weather - not sure there will be an agreeable day to spray before Christmas!

Well, I kind of just squeaked by with the "interim" dollhouse - it's not done, but my daughter is eager to help with the color scheme for the exterior (purple and pink striped - would you believe it??), so a joint project it has become. She seems excited about it, and said I must do exactly as she says. We have always been able to compromise, she and I, so we'll see what happens. I'm going to try to fiddle with some window shutters next. I'm still considering the sand-textured spray paint for the roof.

The white paint is primer.

presented01post_zps423ffc49.jpg

I'm proud of my cop-out ladders, haha. Actually, I think they are kind of fun. (Forgot to erase pencil marks)

presented02post_zps7d013614.jpg

I think a lot could be done with the front, at some point.

presented03post_zpsc60a843f.jpg

I'm really eager to get back to the Garfield. I got the replacement sheet from Greenleaf, but it's not the right one (mixed signals and numbering confusion - no one person's fault), so I'm just going to fashion a piece as Holly recommended. Maybe I can try to figure that out tomorrow.

I hope it's been a good holiday season for all!

• Like 2

Maybe pink and purple tape so I wil be removable at some time in the future? I don't know what it is about little girls and colors, but I used an awful lot of pink, magenta, turquoise and purple crayons as a child...

Maybe pink and purple tape so I wil be removable at some time in the future? I don't know what it is about little girls and colors, but I used an awful lot of pink, magenta, turquoise and purple crayons as a child...

Tape might be the route to take, although then I'd have to explain why after already having discussed painting. :) Yeah, it's funny about that pink and purple thing - I guess it's motivated by the products that are marketed to little girls? Regardless, it will be fun to see how it works out.

Looks like the perfect house for little hands. Nice and sturdy and open access - just what the young homeowner needs.

Great job Dad.

Thanks! :) Perfect for a 4-1/2 year old, I guess. She's quite excited about the Garfield, too. It was reboxed (mostly) as a gift from Santa.

Products like that weren't around when I was a little girl.

Hmmm...no idea, then!

Oh, go ahead and paint it however she wants it. It can be painted over readily enough when her tastes change. :D

Yeah, she's being pretty firm about the exterior. It will be interesting!

Paint is cheap and the hilarious fun of being the home designer at age 4 1/2 yrs, especially since she has this basic model first, far outweighs the realism factor that an adult designer would put upon something, imo.

Save the adult realism for the later Garfield version while she just lives out her fantasy in this one. This is really the ideal situation - two levels of building and two levels of fun.

In my gallery, you'll see many grandkids builds. You can tell the ages and abilities by the paint jobs, in a lot of cases. They change as the children aged. Twinkle progressed to entering the Greenleaf contest last year but had done many "kid style" things first.

• Like 2

Paint is cheap and the hilarious fun of being the home designer at age 4 1/2 yrs, especially since she has this basic model first, far outweighs the realism factor that an adult designer would put upon something, imo.

Save the adult realism for the later Garfield version while she just lives out her fantasy in this one. This is really the ideal situation - two levels of building and two levels of fun.

In my gallery, you'll see many grandkids builds. You can tell the ages and abilities by the paint jobs, in a lot of cases. They change as the children aged. Twinkle progressed to entering the Greenleaf contest last year but had done many "kid style" things first.

I think you are exactly right - we are going to have fun with this! :)

The paint has been purchased. Hopefully some will go on tomorrow. I also bought some Skinny Sticks craft sticks from Walmart; I'm going to see if they are a good option for hardwood flooring. I need to search for some ideas for simple window shutters. The stone-textured paint is a lot cheaper at Walmart, so I might pick up a can of that and experiment with a slate roof, or something like that.

This house could work out to be a great testing ground for the Garfield project.

• Like 1

I guess I'll need to invest in a small mitre box and saw blade(s) to cut the little sticks for hardwood flooring, as well as window trim, etc. I've been looking on Amazon, as I have a gift card to burn, and saw products by X-acto and Excel. Can anyone make any suggestions? I suppose I don't need the absolute top-of-the line for my current purposes...

Does wood glue stick to latex paint?

I use a tool called an Easy Cutter by Midwest. Here is s n amazon link to the version with the moveable angle bar.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000BQT3VK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1419783871&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40

I've gotten mine from Midwest directly but several of the craft stores carry them too. Some are smaller and some have different features.