Garfield - question about tabs and gluing

iwishtofish

Bryan, the good news is that on the Pierce and Garfield, the staircases are probably the hardest part so when you've got that finished, you'll find the rest of the house to be much easier. (we'll discuss gables and towers later) You're doing a great job!

On the topic if sanding and emery boards, I have a cool tool to share...........glass nail files. They're a little pricey but I invested in a couple smaller ones and discovered that they are excellent for sealing wood edges. They sort of fill in as they sand so there's less visible open spaces on the edges which is perfect for stair rails and other exposed edges. I follow up with a schmear of spackle and then sand that down so that the paint goes on nice and sweet, but the finish of the edges sanded with a glass file are noticeably smoother and it goes faster. They also never wear out so the investment is in a tool that you can keep using.

• Like 1

Instead of hitting them with spackle, after using the glass files you could go ahead and stain the edges and let the stain mix with the fine sawdust in the pockets. Once the stairs are installed the edges wouldn't be that noticeable. I use the sanding bords for acrylic nails and get similar results.

I'm kind of stuck on the ways of the aquarium forums I've contributed to for so long, where a "build thread" vs. blog is kind of the norm (not that I started this particular thread with that intent). The differences will take some getting used to. :)

Small world. Maybe we were seperated at birth? Having hung out so long on the fish forums and having one on-going thread for my tank, one for my Pelvicachromis subocellaus, and one for the Congo tetras (I'm making a biotope-like tank based on the Congo river...) I did that here with each house. Tryin' to keep things neat and not start beau coup threads.

Bryan, the good news is that on the Pierce and Garfield, the staircases are probably the hardest part so when you've got that finished, you'll find the rest of the house to be much easier. (we'll discuss gables and towers later) You're doing a great job!

On the topic if sanding and emery boards, I have a cool tool to share...........glass nail files. They're a little pricey but I invested in a couple smaller ones and discovered that they are excellent for sealing wood edges. They sort of fill in as they sand so there's less visible open spaces on the edges which is perfect for stair rails and other exposed edges. I follow up with a schmear of spackle and then sand that down so that the paint goes on nice and sweet, but the finish of the edges sanded with a glass file are noticeably smoother and it goes faster. They also never wear out so the investment is in a tool that you can keep using.

Thanks for the encouragement and for passing on the tip, Deb! I'm glad the rest of the house should be easier. I am eager to start the foundation, too, once that replacement part shows up from Greenleaf.

Instead of hitting them with spackle, after using the glass files you could go ahead and stain the edges and let the stain mix with the fine sawdust in the pockets. Once the stairs are installed the edges wouldn't be that noticeable. I use the sanding bords for acrylic nails and get similar results.

I'm going to have to give that a try, Holly. I like the little experiments to test/build my skills.

Small world. Maybe we were seperated at birth? Having hung out so long on the fish forums and having one on-going thread for my tank, one for my Pelvicachromis subocellaus, and one for the Congo tetras (I'm making a biotope-like tank based on the Congo river...) I did that here with each house. Tryin' to keep things neat and not start beau coup threads.

It is a small world, haha. Especially here! :) The biotope project sounds really neat.

I'm still plugging away at the staircase prep. It is pretty time consuming - particularly if a lot of that time is spent repairing mistakes from the cut-out removal learning process. I've had to do a lot of repairs that, as you'll see, aren't perfect, but should be ok once the paint is on.

muchwoodfiller01post_zpsfb93f69f.jpg

Been dealing with a lot of stuff like this:

needs_glue01post_zps06986fd0.jpg

gluing01post_zps85a75bd4.jpg

I knew I would have trouble getting the railing post caps to look nice. At least they are small and not so noticeable:

postcaps01post_zpse83febef.jpg

Once I get the staircases out of the way, I'll have to deal with a pretty tricky problem. One of the foundation parts (#8) is either warped in a strange way, or the pattern was a bit off. Either way, about a week ago, I contacted Greenleaf customer service and they were very helpful in analyzing the problem. I was pleasantly informed a new piece would be sent out that day.

So, if it comes, great! If it doesn't, I'll need to figure out how to make a modification. The first picture shows one half of the piece, with a reference line on the mat board beneath. The left edge is the bottom edge of the foundation, meant to rest on the build table:

foundation_piece01post_zps8963fe80.jpg

This second picture shows the other half of the piece, and you can see (if the pic is viewable) that the left edge (bottom edge) veers off at a pretty significant angle from the line to which it should be parallel. It can't be forced back into shape.

foundation_piece02post_zps100cb4e1.jpg

Hopefully the replacement piece will be better, and didn't get lost in the land of snail mail.

Perhaps a dampening and weighting would force it into line.

Do you have any heavy duty magnets? Thinking of the creating a large scale magnet jig.

Here is a small one so you get the idea.

gluing-jig.jpg

magnetic-jig.jpg

You could dampen it, line it up on a metal square on top of a piece of sheet metal. Put the magnets as close as you can. Then inch them closer to the straight line as it begins to bend. Let it dry. Repeat if necessary.

The other thing is that the sheer weight of the house may straighten it all by itself.

Hmmm...I wonder if that would work. I've tried bending it back into shape - without dampening it - and it causes it to want to twist in unnatural ways. I don't really have the types of materials you've mentioned. :( I hope Greenleaf didn't forget to send the piece. I tried to call yesterday, but got voicemail the first time and they were closed the second time. Then again, it's only been a week.

Hmmm...I wonder if that would work. I've tried bending it back into shape - without dampening it - and it causes it to want to twist in unnatural ways. I don't really have the types of materials you've mentioned. :( I hope Greenleaf didn't forget to send the piece. I tried to call yesterday, but got voicemail the first time and they were closed the second time. Then again, it's only been a week.

I don't think it would work even by dampening it Bryan.......it's ply so you have three grain runs to contend with and as you rightly say if you do bend it one way then it will also bend another (less desirable way!)

but the magnetic jig that Selkie has shown is a brilliant piece of kit.............best of luck.......but it's coming on!

It is a pretty cool tool. Wish I had one! :) But yes, Mike, I think I'd have to fabricate another piece if the replacement doesn't come. Coming on very slowly, but things will speed up! Problem is that the more I learn about this stuff, and the more examples I see, the more I want to do! Still have to think about flooring, interior and exterior color schemes, siding/shingles/shakes...electrical..whether or not to substitute items. Argh! All that will clarify as I go.

But electrical needs to be figured out soon. Thinking of this kit:

http://cir-kitconcepts.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=22&products_id=287

Anyone think it's enough for this huge house?

Well, it says it's good for 33 bulbs. Disregard the number of rooms because the bulb count is the important thing. For example, if a chandelier has 4 bulbs, you count them individually against your total. It doesn't mean the number of light fixtures but rather the total of individual bulbs. Folks often make that mistake. Another mistake is having too large of a transformer for just a few lights.

I'd make a sketch of what you think you might want and then add a few. You can always fill in with some battery operated ones if you end up needing more. You can also upgrade the transformer or use two separate lines with two transformers. There are lots of options.

Thanks, Selkie, I understand better now. I'll try to pre-plan. I like the idea of the tape wire, as long as the little brads don't protrude too much so that they get in the way of things. I know the tape could be covered by flooring, so maybe it's best confined to floors and dead space?

It can be behind wallpapers, wainscoting, textured or heavy ceiling papers, or any type of flooring or baseboards or crown moldings.

Some folks don't wallpaper right onto the walls themselves. Rather they make cardstock templates and wallpaper to that, attaching it with minimal adhesives or dbl stick tapes so there is easy access to the electrical (regardless of which type you use) and easy change out of wallpaper designs. I've not done that so I can't speak to how well it works. Some do flooring that way as well. I glued wallpaper or painted directly on my walls.

Another thought with the round wire, is there are a few baseboard and crown molding designs out there with a groove in the back for the wire to run through. You can wire outlets into the baseboards or walls and plug lights in and out.

You can also use a power strip and run your lines to that, either direct wiring to it with a u-shaped tip or with the plugs.

Hope I'm not just adding to the confusion and decision making process but there really are a number of ways of doing it and some folks don't use lights at all.

Love lighting...........one of the most interesting bits for me. I use a lot of concealed lighting but then my houses are set in the present and so that's more acceptable. Whatever the lighting though my preference is for wire........straight forward wire.......part of the fun is finding all those ways in which it can be hidden yet remain accessible.......and there always are ways!

Wouldn't worry too much on transformer size though, you can always add another!

If you ever get stuck though.......shout!........there is an awful lot of handy folks on here!

Bryan, when you get to the wiring part, this might be helpful. It's the electrical edition of the Greenleaf Gazette that covers helping decide what type of wiring to use as well as pictorial tuts for tape wiring, hard wiring, and hybrid wiring. There's a lot of helpful info in there plus tons of pics. http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/FEB2009/Greenleaf-Dollhouse-Kits-FEB-2009.html

I forgot to add one more article about wiring.......this one is about hiding hard wires. It's a Brimbles but the concept is the same for any house. LIke Mike, I enjoy the challenge of finding new ways to hide wires.

http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/dollhouse_news/APR2010/how-to-wire-a-dolhouse.html

Well, I haven't given up yet! I started priming the stairs. There's no better way to see the imperfections of one's prep work than to slap on some paint!

I contacted Greenleaf again about the foundation piece that needs to be replaced. They are still looking into getting that to me.

Meanwhile, there will be a delay with the Garfield, although brief. I have to whip up some kind of dollhouse by Christmas, and the Garfield definitely won't be it. So, I bought some 5mm Tri-Ply underlayment at Home depot, and I'm finding it surprisingly nice to work with. I think this will come together fast!

new_plan01post_zpsf8ad38af.jpg

This is such an awesome forum! I'm about to start a Pierce - was going to get a Garfield but it was a little out of my budget. Now of course I'm quite pleased I didn't get it - the Pierce is enough of a challenge!! Iwishtofish (Bryan) - is this your first dollhouse?

Good luck with the project. Hope it goes as quickly as you hope it will.

Must have a little gal waiting for Santa to bring something special.

You are correct! I hope it goes as quickly as I anticipate as well. Keeping it pretty simple, but you know how that can go! :)

This is such an awesome forum! I'm about to start a Pierce - was going to get a Garfield but it was a little out of my budget. Now of course I'm quite pleased I didn't get it - the Pierce is enough of a challenge!! Iwishtofish (Bryan) - is this your first dollhouse?

It is an awesome forum, isn't it? Yes, the Garfield is my first (well, until I started this "interim" dollhouse). It is a bit intimidating, but lots of fun so far. I'm eager to follow along with your project!

• Like 1