My next project

Carrie

Hi Carrie...I have a Primrose waiting in the wings...so far, I think it is going to be a record shop...I am still in the planning stages...lol...that could take forever!!! I don't know what I am going to do to the outside yet...maybe brick?? maybe stone???

Hi Carrie --

A stone finish sounds wonderful! You do it with clay or Paperclay -- Tracy (minis on the edge) has a tutorial on working with paperclay -- it was a fireplace, but the technique is the same for a house. And there are a number of blogs where clay was used for the exterior walls -- check out David's Orchid or any of Tracy's houses. Fairly simple to do, a little time consuming, but you get fantastic results! :welcome:

I have never used paperclay, have not managed to find a store that has it, but I read the thread about the fireplace and I must day I was impressed with the result, so I gues I will keep searching. I am currently revamping an old neglected Colonial dollhouse built from scratch that I found in a yard sale. This might work well to find up a few flaws that amuteur carpentry and time have produced. I wonder if there as website which shows local stockists?

have not managed to find a store that has it, but I read the thread about the fireplace and I must day I was impressed with the result, so I gues I will keep searching. I am currently revamping an old neglected Colonial dollhouse built from scratch that I found in a yard sale. This might work well to find up a few flaws that amuteur carpentry and time have produced. I wonder if there as website which shows local stockists?

You can achieve the same effect using DAS or any other quality air-dry clay. Check the craft stores for a supply of either paperclay or DAS. I get mine at Ben Franklin, but that's just 'cause it's close. Jo-Anne's, Michaels and most other craft places stock it -- I'm not sure which stores you'd find around Quebec. They generally display Paperclay & DAS with the Fimo & Sculpey clays.

Another yard sale find? I'm jealous -- all I ever see at yard sales is out-of-date clothes!!!! :welcome: Will we get to see pics?

I also used paperclay for stones on my Orchid (Mother Goose's Cottage) and Haunted House (Forestgate Cottage). It's a relatively easy process, although time consuming, but fun to do!!

Tracy (MinisOnTheEdge) is the 'Queen' of paperclay and she gave us the link a while back to where you can purchase directly from 'Creative Paperclay' here http://www.paperclay.com/

Good luck with your Primrose and hope you'll share pictures of your progress! :welcome:

In my team blog for the Orchid I describe how I did the exterior stonework with spackling compound (of course!).

Hmm, would never ever have guessed you liked that stuff Holly! And true it works wonders in many uses for sure, and I also got a recepie from Wenlaine on how to do my own so that is a good thing as well as the other clays are harder to find "over here"

Hugs

I buy my Creative Paper Clay from the site. There is a "wholesale" purchase place on the site that has a minimum of $50. which I just group with a few other miniaturists in my club and we split an order. I believe that it ends up about $ 7. for a 16 oz.(1 lb) block of clay. The clay I buy through the site are always fresh-- because their stock gets rotated frequently- unlike some that you buy at craft stores. The only store I have found it at is Michaels-- then only the 8 oz size.

I just love using it and have even used it to make paper clay sheets of shingles, siding etc. of those white plastic pvc sheets that you can buy. Works great! :w00t:

I have taken a class from Rik Pierce- and would be happy to answer any questions.

Patty Johnson

I just ordered the Primrose Cottage from Country Classics and Miniatures in Ontario.I was inspired by reading the blog on mini shop.I love the stone finish.How did you do it?

Hi There Carrie, Here is a small tutorial on the paper clay fireplace class This is the link to do the fireplace structure

I also have some pictures in my Arthur blog I think of the clay process and the fireplace embers :lol: you can get the same results by using Das clay too. I personally love paper clay because I don't like the smell of Das

:w00t: