Red squirrel and rabbit

Steve Panner

Like I said last week, I was working on another squirrel, this time a red one, and it's finally done:

71.jpg

Also I have for sale a rabbit with an "intrigued" look on it's face:

03.jpg

The auction for the rabbit is almost closed so it will only be available in the next few hours.

You can see them both on my eBay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/merchant/dollhousepets

I'm working on some commissions at the moment, but also want to make some pieces for my shop, but I'm not sure what to do, I kinda don't want to do cats for a while. I was thinking at some penguins or maybe a baby seal, since we're in the middle of a snow blizzard here. What do you think? Or should I stick with the classic house pets?

Thanks for looking and for your opinions :)

• Like 1

People will want house pets for their houses, I'm thinking. Maybe the seal, etc, as a taxidermy specimen? The red squirrel reminds me of one that hung from a low branch in my face and cussed me out when DH & I were hiking in the park in St John, NB, between the campground and the zoo.

If folks are doing animals in their landscapes, maybe a skunk or a possum. Maybe some robins, bluejays, woodpecker, or cardinals. Could even have a small mother and baby deer. Some folks might go for a chipmunk (I personally live with too many that cause headaches for us so I'd not go for them but some folks love them). Tropical fish suitable to go in a resin filled tank. A wasps nest maybe? A set of chubby little puppies. How about a horse, donkey, goat, sheep, or cow for a barn scene?

• Like 1

Being from the south, I am kind of partial to skunks and possums... o.k., maybe not REAL skunks so much, though they are cute. And those possums carrying all those babies on their back as they cross the road? Adorable! As are cute, fat little puppies. And raccoons, except for the one who figured out how to get in my trash can. And chipmunks are nice. I am probably not much help, as I like pretty much everything.

Both current animals are fabulous!

Thank you all for your lovely ideas! I seem to get a trend from your replies: raccoons, possums, skunks, chipmunks and farm animals.

@Holly: I love how you have a story about every animal I make :) You really have been in a lot of places and have lots of great experiences! Thanks for your suggestions too!

@Brae: I think I'll give raccoons a try next, thank you!

@Selkie: Lots of wonderful ideas, thank you! That should keep me busy for a long time :)

@Debora: Thanks, I'll give farm animals a go and chickens sound like a great start, since I have lots of feathers in various colors.

@Debra: Like from Selkie above, lots of suggestions, thank you! Since some of them have been mentioned by others, I think I can see some popular animals I should focus on.

@Kat: Thank you! I really liked the penguins but I guess I was't thinking how people will integrate them into their scenes. Maybe I'll make some for the miniatures collectors. Thanks!

Steve, art is art because it strikes an emotional cord in the beholder. That, and one of the reasons DH & I love to hike and paddle is the opportunity it gives us to see & interact with the other species with whom we share the planet. I realize just now you're making furred critters, but you can go on with feathered and scaly ones, too. We used to have a lovely huge barred owl that flew into the pine tree in front of our Havana house at twilight and perched on a particular branch we could see from our front window, that she could use to wait for the rabbits and moles and mice to come out. We have found parts of flying squirrels in our yard, but not sure who/ what is snacking on them.