Orchid door

Roxxie2

I have the pieces out for the front door. They all fit nicely. Is there suppose to be trim for the interior of the door? It looks plain and not very good compared to the exterior door. I cut out a piece of heavy cardboard and traced the exterior door trim that fits over the entire front of the door for the inside. Do you think it will look odd? Opinions please!

Do you mean trim that goes around the door hole, or trim to glue onto the surface of the door? Yes there is trim that goes around the hole. No, the inside of the door doesn't get trim on top of it like the outside.

If you're talking about the surface of the door, your idea sounds like it will work, or you could glue on wainscot panels like these or resin embellishments.

• Like 1

Thanks Emily and Stacey! I just thought since this is a Victorian style, the inside of the door looks so plain. I will think of something. Emily, maybe I could make those panels with pieces of scrapwood? I have a lot saved from the punch outs. :)

It sure helps to have other people's creative brains to pick!

• Like 1

I would also go with heavy card or posterboard for the interior door trim. I haven't done that to the Orchids I've already built because the first was a general store and the second was the White Orchid; and for the one I'm going to rehab, it already has a fancy Houseworks front door.

Thanks Emily and Stacey! I just thought since this is a Victorian style, the inside of the door looks so plain. I will think of something. Emily, maybe I could make those panels with pieces of scrapwood? I have a lot saved from the punch outs. :)

It sure helps to have other people's creative brains to pick!

Did you keep the arches punched out from the porch railing? They make a nice embellishment.

Well, I cut out a nice piece of cardstock in exactly the right color and glued it to the interior of the door. It looked really nice I thought. Of course, being the perfectionist I had to scrap off a bit of glue that remained in the open part of the frame. Well......
I should have left it alone! I ended up having to tear off the cardstock, sand down the door and start over ...You know how hard it is to get ALL of the tacky glue off after it has set" :bangin:

So back to the drawing board on that one! When will I ever learn???

So I sanded the door down as far as it would go and now crossing my fingers I am going to repaint and hope for the best! This accident had a good outcome because while thinking of how to repair the damage I came up with a new idea for the house in general........all is good! :)

So I sanded the door down as far as it would go and now crossing my fingers I am going to repaint and hope for the best! This accident had a good outcome because while thinking of how to repair the damage I came up with a new idea for the house in general........all is good! :)

Glad to hear the door is turning out well. Do you suppose "your" new idea is really the Orchid's demands? I can see that tricky little house derailing your plan in order to gain time to plant this new idea in your mind.

<wondering if it's time to start wearing a tinfoil hat around the houses> :hmm:

:roflmao: You two ( Kathie B and Pam) !

I seriously think you might be right about that! I took the day off from the Orchid I thought it needed a break. I polked around in our very limited stores in town and found NOTHING as usual so I bought another color printer ink cartridge and plan to scour the internet for printies. Its the only way I can do this house with no resources near by. I think it will be fun hunting them down!!!