A Freebie for Monday :)

kellyannmo

Yup... another freebie....

A loaf of bread with 2 slices of bread on a cutting board with a knife... all glued in place.

I made the bread from polymer.

It's 1:12 scale

If you'd like it send me a message, the first person will get it.

Merry Christmas

Kelly

• Like 3

Semolina,Kelly? I've seen several tuts with it used to give texture to the clay for breads and cakes,including one from Linda Cummings,a IGMA fellow miniature artisan. Never heard any one say anything about it attracting bugs.

So,what of all the miniatures artisans who make things with 'food' items in them...I'm not talking amateurs like me using coffee grounds for dirt in my many mini potted plants,for example, and NEVER having any bug trouble. But what of those miniaturists who make and sell mini items with 'foodstuffs' such as semolina in the clay,etc.-and there are many,many out there. I'd like to think if it was always a problem,these respected artisans would not continue this practice! And I know all about bugs in the South,too,having been born here and living most of my life here and quite naturally I think they are hideous demons who are not allowed a long visit in my home! Not trying to be a snot-it's just that I think things are sometimes given blanket judgements,when there can be variables to anything...Just sayin'....

From growing up in South Africa in a very humid climate, if you sealed your item very well with a clear glue or varnish, the bugs couldn't get at the food particles inside, as it was protected from oxygen exposure - I guess they couldn't smell/taste anything edible.

Mold, now THAT is a different matter all together, sadly.

• Like 1

Holly, I suspect the cornmeal or other food items included in mini foodstuffs absorbs enough toxicity/odor from the polyclay to render it unappetizing to six-legged critters.

• Like 1

I would hope so! I once used sesame seeds and rice grains to decorate a mini case clock I'd made; painted them with a couple of coats of gold metallic paint and sealed them with three coats of laquer. When I finished the house it was to go in and fetched it from the box I'd kept it in, the seeds and rice grains had vanished, leaving holes in my lovely laquer finish (I filled those holes with glue and painted the dried glue with the gold metallic paint, and it looked as good, so I learned that lesson). Our last house was old and loose as a goose, so fighting aggressive bugs and other wild critters (mice! ugh!) was an ongoing battle, and using foodstuffs in minis was a big nono.

Just a thought,is it possible the chemicals in the metallic paint 'disintegrated' the seeds and rice grains,or that they dehydrated to the point of falling off? Hey,I do understand your point about bugs:Umpteen years ago when I was still at home,a date gifted me with a single white rose at the end of the evening. I laid it on my dresser in the room I shared with my sister and had sweet dreams. Next morning,all that was left of that beautiful white rose was the stem! Yikes!! My mother went into hyperdrive with the bug spray!!

• Like 1

Just a thought,is it possible the chemicals in the metallic paint 'disintegrated' the seeds and rice grains,or that they dehydrated to the point of falling off? Hey,I do understand your point about bugs:Umpteen years ago when I was still at home,a date gifted me with a single white rose at the end of the evening. I laid it on my dresser in the room I shared with my sister and had sweet dreams. Next morning,all that was left of that beautiful white rose was the stem! Yikes!! My mother went into hyperdrive with the bug spray!!

And the little sister cackled to herself at her mischief.... :lol:

That was admittedly a momentary thought,but 'little' sis was engaged to be married herself and thought the rose was "so romantic"! (I was an 'old maid' of about 22!) :) She was as freaked as Mom and me the next morning!

• Like 1

Kat, honey, I just sent you a PM.