My third Westville

Just One More

I just ordered my third Westville. It's one of my favorite houses. I got it on the HBS discount sale. It's not a very big house so I can find room for it. The other two I've finished are similar in color so I'll try and make this one different somehow. I have so much scrap wood and shingles so won't have to spend too much right away. Also lots of furniture. It's not a very difficult house to build. I put a roof over the porch rather than the balcony. I just like it better that way. The little attic I think is cute and I add a bathroom to the left of the stairs. There are pictures of it in my gallery and my avatar is a Westville.

We already had snow here last night and it in the low 30's today so I'll have something to do with winter coming on early.

I LOVED building the Westville! If I ever get to build one for myself I might follow Judith's lead and bash an extra room or two, or at least make the front porch a screen porch; I had so much fun with the one I put on the Coventry Cottage. I also like that it has lovely big rooms, like the Magnolia.

Luanne - The pictures in my gallery are the second one. The first is from 2007, and just the bathroom pic is in the gallery. I gave that house to my neighbor's daughter and then traded her back and put the bathroom in. I took pictures of that one but don't know where I put them. I had the kitchen on the right in that one I remember and changed it to the left when I got it back. It's very similar to the 2010 house now. That's why I hope I can make some other décor in the new one. Both of the houses are white with black roofs so I may put cedar color roof or something to make the outside look different. It's such a pretty house I don't want to make major changes, just wallpaper, paint etc. With the living room on the right with the stairs I found it much roomier than when I had the kitchen on that side.

Pat

I just clicked on your Doll site! My daughter would love you! She collects the American Girl Dolls. Her first one she saved her allowance for over a year to buy one and then I bought her several afterwards. I use to make the outfits. Love your collection! :wub:

The Westville I built for the Team Westville building blog was sold before I ever opened the box and the customer wanted it to "look just like on the box"; and her DH, who was buying it for her, wanted it "navy" blue; so we three compromised and it ended up light blue with more vivid blue and white trim; and they were happy as clams.

I wanted both of mine to look just like the box too but I didn't put on the shutters and put a roof over the porch instead of the balcony. I can't imagine it other than white so will have to think of something. A cedar roof would make it look different than the black. I want to try and go slow which is hard for me, and really make this build keep me busy all winter. :bear:

Funny Pat, because I thought my current village with 12 houses would keep me busy for a long time. I only have one more to build and it took me about 2 months total! I bet if I wanted to finish in a hurry I couldn't! :p

How about dark ivy green trim for the Westville? I never liked green but many white houses in upstate NY use dark green shutters, door or trim. My own house up in Central NY had those colors on an all white house.

• Like 1

The dark green shutters and door would be pretty and maybe a gray instead of black roof. That would still be like the picture.

Both my Westvilles have the kitchen on the left with a 20's style sink and the wooden stove, a 20's style with the side oven cut off to fit. There is no place to put a stove that needs to vent outside on that side of the house. I have the 50's kitchen set in white I just got from HBS. I may try that. It's nice I have the finished houses to experiment with when deciding on room and furniture placement.

I like the Westville too. This is one of the first houses I have almost completed. Mine was a rehab and I finished it in a Tudor style. Pictures are in my gallery.

I recently blogged about this house in my blog. I turned it into an author's writing cottage.

• Like 1

Thanks Pat for the explanation of the pictures. You'll post this one though right?

Minis on the edge- built it with the dark green windows - it's pretty.

Sam- I like your spin on this. very cute. I really dig the little window on the porch. great touch!

My Kit isn't here yet but I tried my 50's kitchen from HBS in one of my finished Westvilles. I can't put pics in the gallery here and have a heck of a time even getting them in my Picasa. I just put in three pics you can see by clicking on my Picasa link at the bottom of my posts. Do you think 50's works in a Westville?

Pat, your '50s kitchen looks right at home in the Westville. If you can swing it, get a tile of uber cheap self-adhesive linoleum and cut it into 1" squares to tile the kitchen floor, and I'll swear I was in my mother's kitchen!

Holly, The tile floor would be nice but the wallpaper I have on the floor is a really old pattern I found so wouldn't want to cover it. It's permanently attached. Having the Kitchen on the left in the Westville doesn't have as many possibilities for appliance arrangement. I want to find some GE or Kenmore stickers to cover the Aztech on the door of the fridge and the stove.

Having the living room on the left has hardly any room for a sofa and chairs. I love the Westville, just wish it was a little bigger.

Pat, I also love the floor you have. The only difference between your Westville kitchen and my mother's RL kitchen was the floor; about the time he replaced the OLD fridge and stove with brand new '50s models like yours Daddy put down black marbled asphalt tile on the floor. Hmmm...

When I was in high school in the 50's we lived in Phoenix, Arizona. We had a Roper style range in bright orange. I've never seen one that color again. We finally got a more modern range, an O'Keefe and Merit in 1954.

I have the white Roper range and fridge in my 40's Jefferson. I've always liked the older appliances in my dollhouse kitchens. Last Christmas I got a Hallmark ornament, a 50's style TV that lights up and plays the Beverly Hillbillies. I should put it in this Westville's living room. I don't know what style I'll do the new Westville yet. It should be here around Monday.

• Like 1