Need ideas....

Roxxie2

I need ideas on how to make ivy or vines for my quarter scale house. I noticed after I got it all bricked that the bricks need some clever camouflage to cover up some glue that I can't get off. I realize that bricks can be discolored but this is an obvious place that needs to be covered. Any suggestions? Thanks! :)

I've used architectural model supplies before. You can get just limbs which have "foliage" on them and use them as bushes. There are fine metal frets of ivy, but the scale may be too much (you can get them in half scale). SDK has plant kits in quarter scale. Or if this is going to be the Halloween house, maybe a tombstone or ghost flitting by....

Maybe you could try adding some little dabs of paintable glue, then paint the glue in shades of greens to simulate leaves?

I'm wondering if little bits of reindeer moss might work, or very thin airy looking slices of painted sponge.

How big is a quarter scale house anyway? I can't visualize it.

Grazhe, a 1:48 6' man would be a doll 1.5" high.

Roxy, I read that a steel wool pad can be pulled apart to make vines, so in 1:48 take a small bit and pull it further apart. You could use tweezers to do this and spare your fingers. Once you get the look you want you can paint it shades of green.

I don't know how well this will translate to 1/148, but I made wisteria vines out of this: http://www.sceneryexpress.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WD0177 plus this http://www.minikitz.com/ZenStore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=137_105&products_id=620 (in lavender) to bump up the flower coverage.

capemay-closeupfront03.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks! I have to be super creative without any craft supplies available here. I was thinking I could gather some of the weeds that are dry outside the house and try gluing them. They are pretty brittle I found out. Quarter scale is so small its hard to find anything small enough. Maybe I should just try to paint it on?
Grazhina's idea of the glue for dimension gave me an idea kind of. I would have to paint with a tooth pick or something....I tried using a fine tip marker on scrap but the acrylic sealer wouldn't take the marker very well. This is a brain teaser for sure.

Roxy, I'd advise against using weeds. My friend who did the old time general store used dried real weeds for landscaping. They continued to dry and within a year most had crumbled. Decomposing -- that's what plants do best!

What about using the cloth-covered floral wire as a stem. I'd glue it onto the house and then add leaves with paint. I think it would give a little dimension to the vines.

Edit: I didn't realize Holly was posting her suggestion about stabilizing the weeds the same time I was typing this. Somehow I think that even with a coat of something, weeds won't hold up.