Good grief

me-barbie

I need my co-workers and younger cousins to stop having babies! I started cross stitching birth announcements for co workers (most of whom are significantly younger then me) ...but now the babies are coming so fast and furious I never get any stitching time for me any more! Had a smoking needle last weekend.... :salute:

So much for the cross stitched rug I had planned....

• Like 1

Oh,that was bad,Barbara! :D And what Holly hinted at is right in so many cases-just say No!

How big are the birth announcements? If real life size,can they be miniaturized? Not necessarily to 12:1 scale,etc.,as that is tiny work as you surely know. But just a smaller version,in a tabletop frame maybe,would be easier on you and still be nice...My ex-mother-in-law is a fantastic cross stitcher who felt obligated to make all manner of things for her large family of siblings and their children,as well as her 3 grandsons,and I've seen how much work that can be! Yikes!

It's always nice and sometimes nicer to say 'No',in my opinion! The other person may not like it,but you always have free will and there's no build up of resentment or unrealistic expectations of 'tit for tat' on my part. I have probably saved myself tons of stress by learning it's okay to say that simple little word! Just my opinion...

I think our reluctance to say no stems from the fact that most of us are givers. Every day on this forum I see the generosity of our members in sharing advice and materials. Ask a question and some kind soul will provide the answer or a link to the answer in the next post! We give of ourselves. It makes us feel good. We might complain of being overburdened, but beneath it all, we're happy to share these bits of our happiness with others..

I have learned not to agree to everything asked of me, but when I do say no, I get little twinges of guilt/regret for not being nice.

• Like 4

I sure hope I didn't come off as selfish! I wouldn't be doing the job I do (care-taker/companion for the elderly) if one the of benefits wasn't that smile I receive when I've made someone feel safe or more comfortable or cared for...On the other end,it's my responsibility to myself to be nice to me,too. If I'm doing something that makes me resentful or hurts me in some way,instead of feeling charitable,that isn't helping anyone in the end! It's false,and in my middle age,I am nothing but straightforward as much as possible. This "Kat" was a mouse for too many years-and it got me nothing but an abusive husband and bullied by so called friends..."Yes" is still in my vocabulary,but saying "No" once in awhile doesn't make one not nice...IMO

• Like 3

I guess something I should point out here is that the knitting projects take a few hours not weeks and weeks. I'm charitable, but realistic :) EVERYONE here sounds charitable, please don't mistake my meaning about why I like to knit for gifts. These are quick and stress free. Honest :)

• Like 1

I knit faster than I stitch; even so, sooner or later people start to assume that of course you'll be delighted to make whatever it is they want. I finally said no to a ridiculous request with an impossibly short delivery date; I said it nicely (no, thank you; if I recall) and that was that. It was so liberating! Once in a while I'll still make things for people. It's just that sometimes we get into a rut of thinking we have to say yes to everybody!

• Like 1

It is definitely important to 'get it right.' If you take on too much you cause yourself and others alot of grief. I remember a Christmas I let others fascination of my miniature bears take over. I made something like 15 at about 12 hours each. Time to leave for gift giving and here I am, not quite done. It took another however long and my husband became impatient. I stood up in a huff to stomp across the room. My foot had fallen asleep. I moved forward, my foot folded underneath me and RIP! I tore all kinds of stuff. It took a year to heal. Guess it's a big deal in ER. People who walk on asleep feet get injured. Alot. I made one big bear that year. For my husbands 90 year old Grandma. She sobbed and held it tight. She'd never had a teddy bear which no one realized. I still say it was all worth it.

• Like 5

Yes, I think part of it is I felt I set a precendent, and so should stitch, you know, you made one for cousin shauna, you need to do one for cousin rich...

Nothing like a steaming hot serving of guilt, Lol.

Part of it is summer, I have a hard time stitching in summer, prefer to be outside. I do pick quick designs,and am a fairly advanced stitcher (I can handle a Teresa Wentzler)

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying to learn to bake at a very high elevation. I don't know how creative this would be considered but its certainly a challenge. Does anyone else in here live at a elevation above 7,000 ft about sea level?
I started out making box cakes that give the higher elevation directions. Usually they are for 3,000-6,000 ft but I have learned that if the directions say to bake it at 325 for 40 mins it will usually be done at 30 minutes or less. I made a bundt cake today that came out very well. If you have experience in high elevation baking or cooking I would love to share with you. :) :whistle:

I am living on the bottom of what was once a lake. Elevation is not an issue here, LOL! Really, it is called Riding Mountain cause Riding Bump sounds funny.....

Uh oh. I hope Mother Nature doesn't decide to recycle the landscape and refill the lake!