Ladybug Workshop

Missymew

I've almost completed the Dutch Baby House project from the Ladybug workshop I took last weekend. I posted a couple of photos in the Gallery. I've got a little more accessorizing to finish up. But I wanted to share what I did. I really enjoyed the workshop.

-Susanne

Teresa, the ones I've seen are about 6 1/2" high and fit into a 1:12 dollhouse. All that I have seen have been Bespaq. I think they are adorable to look at. After having built that 144th dollhouse, there is no way that I would want to tackle decorating one.

Susanne, you did a superb job on yours. If you can, I would love to see closeups of the rooms.

I think that Dutch Baby House is just the name of the furniture piece. It's a Bespaq armoire, and some Bespaq sellers refer to them as Dutch Baby Houses.

We didn't build the armoire just wallpapered, made furniture and decorated. I've finished it now and I'll go into the Gallery and download photos of the finished project.

This was the first miniature workshop I've ever attended. Up to now I've gotten all my skills from reading magazines, the internet and a good deal from this forum.

Last night I was looking at the decorated Dutch Baby House and thought "this isn't quite me". I'm a much more cluttered person. It's how I decorate my dollhouses and real-life house. I thrive on having lots of stuff around me.

So, this morning I added some more shelves and then loaded them up. I'm satisfied now.

-Susanne

Susanne I am still confused. How big is the actual armoire? What are the measurments? I don't understand scales yet. LOL.

It is just so beautiful!!! I can't wait to show RayAnne the pictures. She will want one for sure.

The armoire is 7 1/2" tall and 5" wide.

When I first saw one at our Edmonton Dollhouse Miniatures Club, I wasn't sure what the scale was. It was larger than 1:144 (dollhouse for the dollhouse on a 1:12 scale), but it wasn't as large as 1:4 scale. I've made 1:4 scale furniture before, and I've bought the metal 1:144 furniture. It was in between.

But, I did know that I very much liked the dollhouse built into a cupboard.

Ladybug (Sue Ann Thwaite) told us the scale was 1:90. I'm not familiar with the scale, but it suited this particular project.

If you go to Ladybug's website -

http://www.ladybug-fairies.com/

-you'll see some of her miniatures. She's quite an amazing lady. She does a lot of fairies and dragons and that sort of stuff.

-Susanne

Actually wallpapering was surprisingly easy. There are no doorways or windows in the rooms, so it was just cutting the paper to size and then pushing it into the room. It was the first step, then we papered/carpeted the floors.

The most daunting stage of the whole workshop was when I first sat down and announced to the ladies sitting beside me at the table that it was my first ever workshop. They thought for a beginner, I'd signed up for too high a skill level in workshops. Then I looked at the zipper lock bags of teeny weeny supplies and wondered how I'd ever figure out which part was what.

But the skills required were minimal. It was mostly learning how to handle all of the itty bitty parts. Ladybug had bagged everything by room number .... so it was kind of like a paint by number. She'd demonstrate different techniques needed to complete the project.

Ladybug said that she herself could complete one of these houses in a day. But for us participants, the 8-hour day was just enough to partially complete a few rooms. But we left with the knowledge that we could complete it on our own.

It took me roughly another 6-8 hours at home to complete the project.

I think that decorating this armoire was more a project of decorating a particular sized cupboard, rather than building in a specific scale.

-Susanne

Missymew Posted The most daunting stage of the whole workshop was when I first sat down and announced to the ladies sitting beside me at the table that it was my first ever workshop. They thought for a beginner, I'd signed up for too high a skill level in workshops.

They obviously hadn't seen all the beautiful work that you had already done. :lol: :o

Wauw Susanne that looks great.

I also have a cabinet, but I haven't finished yet. But now I see this my fingers start to itch. :lol:

It is probably called Dutch because a few centuries ago the rich women here (in Holland) collected (silver) miniatures and put them on display in a cabinet. It was their way to show off.

I love those!

I hope to do one for myself some day!

you are doing a great job on it! is it small enough to go into a dollhouse?

and if so which one will be the recipient of such art?

it really is nice!

nutti :lol:

Nutti - This cabinet wouldn't fit into a regular 1:12 dollhouse. Maybe if it were a house with very large rooms and high ceilings (like a castle). It's a little larger than the micro minis ((1:144) the scale in which you have made so many lovely dollhouses. But, it's slightly smaller than 1/4 scale.

I'm just using it as a stand-alone for now.

-Susanne

Hmmmmm, maybe I need a 1:12 castle or a very large mansion.