Hello

Steve Panner

Hi everybody,

My name is Steve, I'm 32, and I'm new both to the forum and to the dollhouse miniatures world. My mini hobby began with model ships a few years ago, but i had to give it up because of lack of space. Now I've moved to a bigger place and considered starting miniatures once again.

But since now I have a daughter I think my hobby should be something that I can include her in, so dollhouses seemed like the natural choice.

I don't own a dollhouse and plan to buy a kit for my daughter when she'll be old enough, but I plan to satisfy my need for mini tinkering by making furniture and other miniatures.

I just finished a furred fimo bichon that has proven a lot more challenging than I thought it would be, which I love. I often take more pleasure in the process of making an item than in the finished product. Now I'm slowly working on a cat.

Anyway I'm glad to have found such a nice online community dedicated to this hobby, and through it links to lots of interesting blogs.

PS: please have patience with my English, it's not my native language. My name is also an English translation of my real name smile.gif

Welcome to the little family, Steve; your English is just fine! and if you don't mind my asking, where are you? We have members from all over. My very favorite furniture artist is Ferd Sobol, but even though I shall never achieve his level I enjoy making my own furniture; actually I enjoy making everything that goes into my houses, although I haven't tried making animals yet; your little bichon frise could be the Dejeune one of my friends had. Have you decided which kit you'd like to begin with? Do check Ken's Westville: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=31950&hl=westville

Thanks Holly. I'm from Romania and here the dollhouse hobby is totally absent. No stores, no forums, no blogs. That's why international communities such as this one are a great resource for us.

When I'll buy a house it will probably be the Beacon Hill, and I will finish it into a french villa style, gilded furniture and all. But I have to wait a few years for that since my daughter is only 8 months now. Meanwhile I'll make furniture and other items. Bu not on the Sobol level, I wouldn't even dream about that.

Ken's westville looks great and I will sure look at a lot of build logs before I venture into my own build.

• Like 1

Welcome to our family.

Love your little dog.

I have no idea how to do that.

Perhaps you could share your tricks of the trade in that area.

BTW, the Beacon Hill is a gorgeous house and will, no doubt, take a lo-o-o-o-ong time.

Maybe you can start with some of the fiddly and more intricate pieces ahead of time so when your daughter is old enough, you can do the easier things together.

One of our members built mirror images of 2 BH's which was quite impressive. I will look for her album and post a link if I can find it.

You can also do a search in the gallery section for other BH's and get ideas for yours.

One of my best friends, my baba, was originally from Romania; well, actually Nina was everybody's baba! She was the one who taught me needlecraft skills my grandmother hadn't learned from her mother (and I now use them in mini, as well!). Every year she had a garden and when she harvested her turnips I was always over to grab the greens before she threw them away!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome!

@Selkie Thanks for the link and advice about Beacon Hill. That's how I imagine it to look, with rooftop terrace, gray roof and pastel exterior. One of the first blogs I've read was otterine's and she built a very similar house. About pet making I'm still learning myself so I can't give much advice. Basically you make a polymer dog and glue fur on it one piece at a time using tweezers.

@Holly I'm happy to hear you had a friend from Romania.

The baby says hello (actually she can't speak yet so she is clapping her hands laughing while I type).

• Like 1