Hi From Florida

Hi. My name's Amber, and I currently live in Florida. I'm actually only 16, so I'm still in high school, and I've recently become interested in dollhouses and miniatures. I just bought my first kit, the Orchid dollhouse, from Hobby Lobby, but I haven't been able to put it together yet. (Bit of money issue with getting glue and paint ^^; It happens.)

I'd very much appreciate it if people, out of the kindness of their hearts, would be willing to help me along if I get stuck with something, or give me tips of what NOT to do so that it isn't a total disaster. I will be using Elmer's wood glue though, and BEHR Ultra paint, in case anybody needs to know that. :)

WELCOME to the Greenleaf mini-family, Amber – so glad you joined us! We love to share news, pictures, and ideas on all things miniature! Feel free to browse through the website - and ask any questions. You're getting started in a wonderful hobby.

Welcome to the little family, Amber. We're here to answer questions. Even if the questions has been asked before there may be someone who has found a different/ better way to do things. I make everything that goes into my houses. I have built a couple of Orchids and have another one to rehab. Where in FL are you? I grew up in West Palm Beach, moved away when I got married and lived all over, and returned to N FL nearly 20 years later, and spent the past 30+ years there; we just moved to Baldwin County, Alabama, last August, just across the river from Pensacola.

Welcome to the little family, Amber. We're here to answer questions. Even if the questions has been asked before there may be someone who has found a different/ better way to do things. I make everything that goes into my houses. I have built a couple of Orchids and have another one to rehab. Where in FL are you? I grew up in West Palm Beach, moved away when I got married and lived all over, and returned to N FL nearly 20 years later, and spent the past 30+ years there; we just moved to Baldwin County, Alabama, last August, just across the river from Pensacola.

I live in Palm Bay, on the East coast. But I also used to live in Cape Coral and Spring Hill :)

Once you have made five posts you can make an album of your build in the Gallery and share pictures of your build. Quite often when you have a picture it's easier to see "oopsies" and fix them. The "search" feature is a real help, but your keywords have to have at least four letters or more.

Welcome to the forum from another FL member!

I started building houses in my late 20's when money was an issue at times. Don't be discouraged if you aren't able to devote more time / resources to your house yet. You still have school and other responsibilities (as we all do).

I don't know if they have changed their formula, but when I was younger, Elmer's wood glue had a reputation for being brittle after it dried. I use Elmer's glue-all for almost everything.

Probond & Titebond aren't nearly so brittle when they've cured, and Elmer makes them, too. As I mentioned, I make everything that goes into my houses. See if your local library has or can get you any of Patricia King's books for making dollshouse furniture, etc; it's how I got started.

Welcome to the forum from another FL member!

I started building houses in my late 20's when money was an issue at times. Don't be discouraged if you aren't able to devote more time / resources to your house yet. You still have school and other responsibilities (as we all do).

I don't know if they have changed their formula, but when I was younger, Elmer's wood glue had a reputation for being brittle after it dried. I use Elmer's glue-all for almost everything.

I was going to use wood glue because everywhere I look now, people say they used the wood glue in their construction. I may try it at first, and if I find it does become more brittle than I'd prefer, I might switch to glue-all. Thanks :)

Probond & Titebond aren't nearly so brittle when they've cured, and Elmer makes them, too. As I mentioned, I make everything that goes into my houses. See if your local library has or can get you any of Patricia King's books for making dollshouse furniture, etc; it's how I got started.

Thanks for the advice of finding her books. I found two in my library branch, I just have to have them transferred to the library closest to me.

Hello and welcome Amber! I live in Melbourne so we are right next door to each other! Welcome, you will love it here there is so much great inspiration and encouragement going on here it is a wonderful place.

Hello and welcome Amber! I live in Melbourne so we are right next door to each other! Welcome, you will love it here there is so much great inspiration and encouragement going on here it is a wonderful place.

Wow, that is close. :) Thanks.

Hi Amber, and welcome to our little community! :wave: You've just embarked on what will (hopefully) become a life-long hobby! We are all here to help each other out, so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions! Remember- there are never any "dumb questions"...only questions that you don't have answers for as of yet! :D

I was going to use wood glue because everywhere I look now, people say they used the wood glue in their construction. I may try it at first, and if I find it does become more brittle than I'd prefer, I might switch to glue-all. Thanks :)

Thanks for the advice of finding her books. I found two in my library branch, I just have to have them transferred to the library closest to me.

Hi Amber,

I'm new to this forum. too and getting back into buidling dollhouses. I LOVE my local library! They have been so very helpful in getting several DH books for me from all over our state-wide system. Some have gone onto my wish list and others not so much! Enjoy your reads!

While you're at it, see what your library can get you by Helen Ruthberg.

Thanks for the tip, Holly. I just put in on reserve at my library. There are so many books available (and so little time!), can you share some of your other favorite authors/titles with us? I, too, plan to make as much of my furniture and accessories as possible, but haven't run into many with actual patterns or how to's. Lots of lovely images and tons of inspiration, though!