Art Deco in 1:6

Hey, guys...check it out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/doll-house-plans-ART-DECO-STYLE-/200747019848?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd746e48#ht_500wt_1314

This is going to be the one, I received the plans yesterday afternoon, and have already purchased some 1/4" plywood. I'm going to make a couple of modifications so I can include some of the features of this one:

http://www.theplancollection.com/house-plans/home-plan-516

Specifically the skylights, the deck over the garage (which isn't going to be a garage, but a lounge/living room/den thingy) and a bay window in the kitchen.

Can someone please tell me what the instructions mean when referring to wallboard? I immediately thought of sheetrock, but that can't be right. Paneling, perhaps? What else could I use to accomplish the curves of the atrium area?

Thanks in advance for your advice and guidance, Sensei's! *bows* ^_^ I am SO stoked!

Our old Real house had hardboard walls & ceilings - not the best thing in a bathroom or kitchen as they warped from the humidity.

But if your dh plan is as old as are house was then maybe its a not-so compressed hardboard of that era?

Curved walls: veneer or poster board can be laminated around a Quaker Oats box or metal container or plastic pipe found in the plumbing section. Or you could use embroidery hoops as horizontal support then glue sticks, strip wood or mat board strips vertically to the inside & outside to form a wall - the narrower the strips the more rounded will be the wall. Could sand & spackle to a smooth curve - sounds like a lot of work :hmm: LOL!

Gatorboard! Is that the same as foam core, Holly? That's what Hubby thinks I should make the entire structure with, any pros/cons you'd care to add to that affect? I don't like the idea of using foam core for the exterior walls, but for some reason I have my heart set on plywood all the way around, even though it's going to be really heavy. I'm really on the fence, at this point, even though I've already purchased plywood, albeit not near what I'll end up needing.

Thanks for the great idea, Mike! I never even gave a thought to using a cylindrical box as a starting point...

Gatorboard is NOT identical to foamcore; it's more rigid, as I understand it. I wouldn't use 1/4" plywood if it needs curving, but then I've been a fan of 1/8" plywood ever since I discovered Greenleaf! Large coffee cans and institutional/ food service sized tins als work for curving dampened plywood.

@Aaron - Cool!! Where did you get your plans? You building yours in 1:12 or 1:6?

@Holly - YES! 1/8" plywood is exactly what I would like to use, but I can't say I've ever seen any. I was thinking about Balsa, but maybe it would be too flimsy? Can you believe the kid @ Home Depot said "UH...I'm not familiar with Ball-zuh". Yeah, he pronounced it just like that, too.

Should I be able to find the 1/8" at Home Depot, Menards, and the like? I'd also LOVE to use it for the interior walls. How much soaking are we talking prior to curving? The coffee can should be perfect since I'm doubling the dimensions of my design. So are you opposed to using foam core for any application? I blanched when Hubby suggested it initially, although I like the light-weight aspect of it, I just think a house should be be built with wood, doggone it, not foam. :p Sheesh.

(but then I am a tad anal when it comes to making stuff). :blush:

Casey uses the door skins. I should think they'd be very good for bending. I've asked about them at Lowe's and Home Depot and gotten all kinds of sideways answers but never any product.

DH got me a sheet of 1/8" plywood at Lowe's that I use off of for bashing, and I believe it was "doorskin" or something like that. I use regular foamcore all the time for bashing interior walls. Heck, for Mildred's staircase I used some of the corrugated cardboard off of one the other old kit boxes!

Dunno if these would work or not but here they are 1/8" baltic birch plywood:

http://www.hobbylinc...mid/mid5306.htm

edit***

They have other thicknesses as well...I have NO idea why the 1/16" plywood is so much more expensive?

http://www.hobbylinc.com/hobby_and_craft_plywood

:huh: You guys realize you speak a completely different language than the rest of the world, right? :lol: I need a primer so I can learn your lingo. My head is spinning right now, too many options available! Where did you find your foam core, Holly, and what thickness would you recommend? I need to feel it, get it in my hands to make my decision, ya know?

1/16" plywood?! Who knew?!?!

What the flip is a "doorskin"? :lol:

:huh: You guys realize you speak a completely different language than the rest of the world, right? :lol: ... What the flip is a "doorskin"? :lol:

It is the thin wood veneer used for the face of contemporary hollow interior doors. If you kick one of those puppies or bang it with something sharp and solid, you'll find out how thin it is!

Deb

Most HomeDepot/Lowes sell the hollow core doors & some sell the 1/8" skins. My HD only sells 3/16" luaun plywood used under floors - also says its for crafts - comes in 4' x 8', 4' x 4', & 2' x 4'.

If anyone is interested contact GL member bluestarpixel she is/was selling, I think 1/16" birch plywood among our things? See topic

I bought some strip wood from her at a very big discount - I was very satisfied with the items.

Honest to God/Goddess, guys, I really learn something of value every day here. Veneer = skin. Got it!! In fact, I have an abandoned trailer on my property that has those kinds of doors, and luckily the roof hasn't started leaking (yet). I'm going to brave the paper wasp population this evening and see what I can scavenge.

I don't know what I ever did without you all! *big ole group hugs all around*

• 4 months later...

hello there i am a new member ... and tryed to look at the link to the ebay page but ..i can't make out what the picture

is ?? it looks like an old 1950s style house but it hard to see the photo is soo small and very fuzzy ..i don't feel i could

trust these people ..when they can't even post a proper photo ..does any one have a better photo of this house ??

i model in 1/6 BARBIE & GIJOE & CYGIRL/ZCGIRL , 1/24, 1/25, 1/29, 1/22.5, i also make costumes for barbie and

gijoe size dolls and 18inch american girl size too......... is ...1inch= 1 foot 1/12th scale ?? or am i wrong ??

...is ...1inch= 1 foot 1/12th scale ?? or am i wrong ??
You're quite right. And if you post Ebay or other Craig's List links, please use the pinned topic for that purpose. If I ever get all my 1:12, 1:24 and 1:48 scale kits built and out I want to give building in 1:6 a whirl, and possibly 1:4.

• 1 year later...

Another art deco fan!

I bought the 'plans' for this art deco house. They are on sale in a few places online. But you can download them, free, by googling!

I paid for mine because I was hoping the seller might have transferred the diagrams, measurements, etc to paper. Frankly I find the plans, as they are laid out, incomprehensible! Just too difficult to tackle. I LOVE that 1937 house but I wouldn't know where to start.

So how did this project turn out? I'd love to know!

HELLO ELFPRINCESS ever since i saw this art deco house i always wanted to build it ... i now have copies of the plans .. i just don't know what scale

this house is in ..i google it and found 5 photos of it and the plans ...both pages so it doesn't seem to be very complicated to build i am hoping that if

i can figure out the scale of these plans then i could draw it up in barbie size 1/6th scale ......it would be big in 1/6 scale ..i know i tried to build the

addams family house in 1/6 and the total house would of been about 8 feet long by 7 feet high by about 4 feet deep i only started to build the front

porch and living room and that was big .. so i stoped at that time ..not enough room for me to build it and i was building it stick by stick