Plastic canvas doll house

pupa

Wondering if anyone has made one? What age are these safe for? Is a one year old too young? How do you treat them to keep them clean?

Any type/brand of thread/wool recommendations and plastic canvas recommendations?

Thank you!

I really can't answer any of your other questions, but in my opinion a 1-year-old is too young. Simply because they stick everything in their mouths. I would think around age 3-4 would be more appropriate. I know Lillian Vernon sells stuffed dollhouse sets or you can get patterns to make your own stuffed sets.

Wool yarn is the easiest to clean, but if you use a synthetic, you can spray it with scotchguard (if they aren't going to taste it). Best of luck!

I've started one for my daughter, she's almost 2 but it won't be ready for a loooonnggg time. I only have a foundation and living room complete. I think she's too young for it now maybe another year or two before she's really ready. The one I'm working on is for Barbie. I haven't treated it with anything and it hasn't been played with so I don't know how it will be cleaned. The book I'm working from uses ultra stiff plastic canvas and soft plastic canvas. I'm using RedHeart yarn. It comes in more color options and you get a lot more for your money. It's a lot of fun to do and this post has made me really want to start again lol.

I stitched one a few years ago but never sewed the walls together. It's a small painted lady, maybe quarter scale. IIRC, I used DMC Rayon floss since that's what the instructions called for.

(I should find that thing and finish it...)

You got me thinking with this post and I started searching the web for more. I found a kit from Mary Maxim for a christmas plastic canvas dollhouse and a kit for the furniture. The little girl they show playing with it looks just a tad older then my daughter 3 max. I ordered it. I really want her to have a dollhouse she can play with soon and I want it to be one I make. I'll keep pluging away on the Barbie one but that will take a couple more years. If you're really interested in plastic canvas there is a yahoo group dedicated to sharing patterns and such for free. They have a ton of fashion doll patterns, most of the patterns are pretty old but they don't seem to dated.

http://www.lesliesuniquedollhouses.com/LesliesUniqueDollhouses/Projects_%28Archive%29/Projects_%28Archive%29.html

Found this website with some nice eyecandy of different dollhouses. This page is all plastic canvas but if you scroll down and click newer projects she has many wood dollhouses including a Lilly and a Garfield. The blue house plastic canvas dollhouse is the one I have been working on. Thought you might be interested in seeing some completed ones. I love the castle but from what I could find the pattern isn't printed anymore and used copies are 40 on up.

If you stitch them up with acrylic yarn you can handwash & dry them. I can't imagine why a two year old couldn't play with a plastic canvas house. I have found patterns for the Barbie/ 1:6 furniture as well as a booklet with 1:12 furniture stitched with DMC embroidery floss.

I have tons of plastic canvas patterns, I have all the dollhouse patterns, I also have all the Barbie furniture and the big items for Barbie like the cruise ship! I have not made any of them,unfortunately. I would love to see pics.

Kellee

I've never heard of or seen plastic canvas houses, the links attached are great! Especially the one with the Barbie doll size houses, what a great idea for kids, durable and light, and the decor is all built in, I love it!