The Orchid

KathieB

With the staining of the last shingle, the contractor's work is finished! After a major cleanup of the workspace and transformation from carpenter's shed to seamstress table, the interior work will commence! The little lady who will live in the house and I did a very happy dance this evening!

More pictures in my album. ;)

Thanks to all for the wonderful advice and support. Y'all certainly helped to make this a very pleasant experience!

Thanks for the kudos, kids. ;) I enjoyed looking at and learned from all of the Orchids posted here and check the Team Orchid blogs daily. So many innovative ideas for inspiration!

Very nice!! I love the bashes!

Deb

Thanks, Deb .. one (of many) thing(s) I learned. If I do another false wall, it will be in foam core, not balsa. The wood just wanted to split and I had to reinforce it, an awkward situation. I don't know what made me think I had to use wood. ;)

Kathie,

I just love what you done to your Orchid....the colors, very warm and inviting. Beautiful !! I hope ours turns out as well when we get around to building it. Cant wait to see it furnished and see what you do with it there

Great Job

Have a good day

I wanted to add my two penn'orth

I have been avidly checking the gallery every day to look for your updates of your orchid. you have made a wonderful job of it. I really really love the bathroom part in the gable, inspired and brilliant. you work really fast thanks you because I have oved looking at the pictures LOL can't wait now to see what you do with the furnishings.

It has got me inspired to getting Hollies orchid on the go again, I will make a start on the windows and trims this coming bank holiday weekend, it will take my mind off my forthcoming driving test (on the Tues) help me relax.

just wish i could make the gable in Hollie's into a bathroom, but she has plans for a special valentines table and chairs up there, for her cafe.

Its a lovely little house isn't it, so versatile

tell the interior designer to hurry up and furnish it LOL

I really LOVe that idea too of the bathroom Gable! Very unique!

Not so unique ... I saw how Darrell lighted the little blind hallway in his super-duper electrification guide, and that sparked the idea of a "sort of" bathroom. It's actually not large enough for all of the necessities. A full size tub is out, but I found a cute little hip bath with a much smaller footprint. And a toilet will fit. The rest can be filled in by the observer's imagination. :p

tell the interior designer to hurry up and furnish it LOL

LOL .. the interior desecrator is busy straightening up and organizing the workshop. I can't believe how much furniture, building components, paints, tools, accessories, etc, have accumulated! I went to the Dollar Store and got some plastic tubs.

I can't wait to get started on the furnishings, although I can see some problems. I put the furniture in the other night for a quick look and discovered the kitchen is waaaaaay overcrowded. I may have to end up with smaller sink and stove. But the sewing room looks good, and so does the bedroom. I'll start another album with the furnishing adventures. :D

//snipped// you work really fast thanks you because I have oved looking at the pictures LOL can't wait now to see what you do with the furnishings. //snipped//

This has me ROFL! If you knew how many times lately I've told the family that "it's a YOYO night", you'd understand how I got the work done! I finally cooked a real supper for them tonight and just about surprised the socks off of them ... :lol:

YOYO = You're On Your Own :blink:

Kathie -

I really like what you've done with your Orchid. As Heidiiiii said, it's amazing how the Orchid can inspire so many different renditions. Your work is terrific, and I can't wait to see how your interior decorator finishes it off!!

-Susanne

The interior design department has opened another album for the Orchid. Pictures in it now are of furniture I thought would go in. I'm thinking the Design on a Dime team could be very helpful! Some of the furnitures needs to be recovered and some replaced. The kitchen is ... well, ugly. I'll update the photos as I make changes, but it won't go as fast as the construction phase. Mainly because I'll be constructing another Orchid for a friend and starting on the Westville construction.

I'm going to try to get the curtains done and the living room furniture recovered .. and the bedding done and the sewing room curtains ... before I break into the boxes. We'll see if my actions follow my intentions!

So many challenges, so little time ... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I ordered the "Betsy" doll from HBS, so I figured I'd best get cracking to get the Orchid ready for her. She looks very much like my Aunt Mayme, who was a wonderful needleworker who wore sensible shoes. She passed many years ago, yet it's occurred to me that I'm really listening to her guidance as I work on the interior. She'd be comfortable here. ;)

I just posted some pictures of the bedroom in the gallery. I really like how the bathroom curtain turned out. And the bedding is okay for a first attempt ... especially if you consider that the quilt (made from a printie), was as stiff as a board. I practically had to hold it down with my knee as I glued it! :blink:

I absolutely LOVE your Orchid! The bedroom is beautiful and I love that false wall. I've been watching your house for quite a while now. Tell us a little about the bedding - it's wonderful!

Thank you, Robin ... *blush*

The bedding isn't anything special, just lace and bits of fabric from Wally World. My favorite part of it is the quilt. It's done from a printie at Jim's Printable Minis. I ironed the fabric onto freezer paper to do the printing, added a backing and some slightly puffy filler stuff, then machine stitched over some of the lines to give it the quilted look. If I were smart, I would have seamed the edges, but I didn't ... so I had to cover them with binding, which is ribbon from Wally World that I attached with fabric glue.

Back in the day I was an art teacher ... and then owned and operated a stained glass shop in California, where I did everything from designing to installation ... and learned to sew as a kid because my mom and aunts sewed and learned to work with wood because that's what my dad did. As I'm getting older, all of the odd bits of knowledge/training seem to be coming together. Stuff I never thought I'd use again is suddenly becoming very useful!