I'm renaming the Laurel

Deb

And why do I want to call it Mary Poppins, you ask? Because that house is perfect in almost every way! <_<

Seriously, it really is a perfect house. It's a dream to build. I opened the box on Wednesday and finished it this afternoon. I'm amazed that I can build a house that big in 3.5 days. But besides being easy to build, it's got really huge rooms! I mean, the possibilities for arranging things in those rooms is endless just because there's so much space in them. I was really impressed with that. And it's a charming house too. To me it says "midwest farm house, turn of the century", but it's such a blank canvas that it would adapt to almost anything. I only bashed this one just a teeny bit, but I can already tell that I'll have to build a few more of these just to try out different things with it.

I have to admit that I love this house. And did ya'll know that it's exactly like the Lily without the mansard roof and the bay wing? I found that totally fascinating about it.

<giggling> Before Nutti calls the eye candy police on me, I'll post pictures. There are more of them at on my site on this page: http://www.debsminis.com/heirloom.htm

post-329-1155440771_thumb.jpg

post-329-1155440790_thumb.jpg

post-329-1155440810_thumb.jpg

I'm gonna go bake a cake now, but I had to share my excitement with this house. You know how it is when you build one that's just a delight from start to finish. This was a *really* fun house to build.

Deb

Wow Deb!

3.5 days? Great job and you must have been working at superspeeed <_< I wondered why we haven't heard much from you lately - it's cause you've been busy Busy with your houses :lol: It looks Terriffic!!

-David

And the New World's record has been set by (drum roll) Deb from the fantastic Deb's Mini's !!

Deb, I really LOVE it. You are right that this is a fun house to build and then the room sizes are awefully incredible too!!

I LOVE your color scheme too! I can't believe you painted and built it all in 3.5 days! That is wonderful!

To me it says "midwest farm house, turn of the century", but it's such a blank canvas that it would adapt to almost anything.

Very true. I bashed my Laurel with my Haunted House (which has been sitting half finished for well over 2 years) and it is itching to be a classic American farmhouse. I've decided to let the house be what it wishes, but I've got so many ideas for how this house could be modified in the future! And at such a great price, I may buy a few Laurel's and have fun seeing how many different ways the same house can be build and modified! <_<

I wondered why we haven't heard much from you lately - it's cause you've been busy Busy with your houses
<grinning> That's pretty much it. I've been a free agent for my first week and I'm loving every second of it. I have more time to mini!!

You are right that this is a fun house to build and then the room sizes are awefully incredible too!!

It's just the coolest house. I was shocked at how big the rooms are. It's one of those houses that you can put *big* furniture in and it won't be overpowered.

I've decided to let the house be what it wishes,
<giggling> Sometimes I argue with a house, but it always wins. The Laurel did that. I told it that it was going to be off-white with green trim. It said, "I want to be yellow". I told it no, I don't do yellow houses. It said, "I want to be yellow". I told it that it was going to be off-white and that was the end of it. As I turned around I heard it say, "Okay. Suit yourself. But I want to be yellow". I used the same paint I used on the samurai house......it's called parchment. On the samurai house, it was off white. I painted the Laurel and sat back and went, "Alrightee then. It's yellow". <_< I think I heard the house snickering.

Love the color scheme and moving the stairs around really does make a big visual difference.

I'm really happy with the look it gives with the stairs staggered instead of directly over one another. I think it gives it a more balanced appearance. And the color scheme is "Traditional Mid-West Farmhouse". I hear that there's one very much like it in Illinois. :lol: :p:D

Deb

I made one for my daughter and she loves it. The rooms are just so big and easy for a child to use. I want to get another one for me too. I think somethimes people overlook it because it is so simple, but it is such a great house with so many possibilities.

It is really a beauty! You built and painted it in under four days, incredible! I am still building my first house and started last year. I never can seem to devote enough time to finish it. How nice to see someone's house looking so complete in a 3.5 day timeframe.

Deb, what a cute house! I can't believe it only took you 3.5 days! You must be on speed or something! LOL!! <_<

I love the color scheme . . . I'm so glad the house won!! :p The interior is gorgeous! Great job!! It looks to me to be move in ready . . . where do I sign?!! :lol:

awe Deb :p

I wanted to be known as wonder builder!

but if someone has to be it than Im glad it is you!

and wowza what a great lil house!

makes me wonder how long it would take be to build the Orchid if I didnt have all of my decorating issues! :lol:

I dont use green much but that "yellow" just makes it POP

and it really does look like Auntie Ems house from the wizard of oz.

what a really great job!

I am looking forward to seeing more.

you are doing really well at something you just started doing not long ago...shows your apptitude!

big HUGZZ

coz you is on yer way!

nutti <_<

I made one for my daughter and she loves it. The rooms are just so big and easy for a child to use. I want to get another one for me too. I think somethimes people overlook it because it is so simple, but it is such a great house with so many possibilities.
I'd never really looked at the Laurel that closely before, but I'm really glad I did. I think that it is the perfect house for a child to love. There's no fussy stuff that can break off and the rooms are large enough for small hands to get into easily. It's the kind of house that can be used happily and loved for years. I think the main thing that got me excited about this house is thinking about how much joy the Laurel could bring to a child. The houses I've built so far are pretty much in the "display" or "grown up play" category, but the Laurel is the first one I've built that I thought would be great for a kid. It's so easy to build that it would be perfect for a young mini-ists first venture into building. <grinning> I was a teacher for so many years that sometimes things just jump out at me as being a delightful experience for a child. All the time I was building it, I kept thinking what a wonderful first-time build it would be for a kid.

You must be on speed or something! LOL!! :)

<giggling> Naw, I gave that up years ago. However, an obsessive/compulsive personality can do wonders with time frames! And it's legal!! :D:D:D

Deb

Deb, your Laurel looks wonderful. I have built a Laurel and don't know how you accomplished it in three and half days!! Wow, the inside looks just as great as the outside. It makes me want to sit on that big ole porch and have a lemonade with Auntie Em, waiting for Toto to come home.

I still say you're the MacGuyer of minis. It looks really good. :lol: Alysia likes your buttercup.

(could you come finish my laurel/primrose. Its been ignoring me since I got the bayberry. That bayberry is really, really, loud. Its being really pushy and trying to get to the head of the line.)

I used to LOVE that show. I tell you, Deb can hide the true identity of any house PLUS she works super fast! :p

<giggling> I discovered that if you want to know how fast you can build a house, just quit your day job. Did you go thru that too when you quit your job Tracy? Last week hit me with some serious motivation of "OMG! I gave up my paycheck!! I gotta do something fast!". :lol: It's not like Bruce's paycheck isn't still as regular and steady as ever, but this is only the second time since I was 14 that I haven't been working full time, so I clutched. I built a Buttercup, a Sugarplum and the Laurel in a month. I'm feeling better now. :D

That bayberry is really, really, loud. Its being really pushy and trying to get to the head of the line.

heheheheheee Houses can be sooooooooo pushy about being built. But I can't see how you can ignore a Bayberry when it's yelling and hollering like that. It'll just keep you up at night. ;)

Deb

I discovered that if you want to know how fast you can build a house, just quit your day job. Did you go thru that too when you quit your job Tracy?

It was and still is a BIG motivator for me. When I want something new, I start building something to sell. I just can't beleive people really would rather decorate the houses after I built them. Building is the best part for me :D

My Mom is about to retire and she is going through it right now (How can I make my OWN money without just depending on Dads money again :lol: ) She is looing at my minis in a whole new light BUT she is also trying to get me to do interior decorating with her (real houses).

I may go in with her since it has always been a dream of hers since I was a kid :p I like the Mini idea better though ;) .

heheheheheee Houses can be sooooooooo pushy about being built. But I can't see how you can ignore a Bayberry when it's yelling and hollering like that. It'll just keep you up at night. :p

Deb

:lol: I even tried to muffle it it the closet, but I got 'er out for the instructions. My Aster is screaming just as loud. I don't have any supplies for her yet.

It was and still is a BIG motivator for me. When I want something new, I start building something to sell.

<sigh of relief> I'm glad to know it's normal to feel that way. I was afraid I was obsessing again. :D I'm relaxing a little more today. Even went and sat on the patio for awhile and just did nothing. I think it's been years since I took a few minutes to do nothing at all but appreciate the feel of the breeze in my hair and the sound of the leaves rustling.

I may go in with her since it has always been a dream of hers since I was a kid :lol: I like the Mini idea better though :p .
Oh, that would just be cool!! Now if you can convince her that every interior design she does should include a mini house as a centerpiece, you'll have the best of both worlds!!

I even tried to muffle it it the closet, but I got 'er out for the instructions. My Aster is screaming just as loud. I don't have any supplies for her yet.

Oh, the Aster will not be silenced!! I've tried!! I kept telling mine it was going to have to wait for awhile and it just shoved it's way to the top of the list demanding that it be built first. So what plans do you have for the Bayberry and the Aster?

Deb

Oh, the Aster will not be silenced!! I've tried!! I kept telling mine it was going to have to wait for awhile and it just shoved it's way to the top of the list demanding that it be built first. So what plans do you have for the Bayberry and the Aster?

Deb

Sorry, my last response wasn't written well. I have most of what I think I am going to need for the Aster. The Aster is going to be a wizards cottage inspired by Myles Pinkney's painting the Alchemist. The Bayberry is not really saying what it wants to be just that it wants it exterior trim painted orange. Not a pumpkin orange, lighter but darker that a yellow orange. The main exterior color is difficult to interput. Like a melon/cantalope color. I think Greenleaf houses have more personality and can easier say what they want to be. GL has more versitility where as Dura-craft says I was made to be this therefore I am.

Dura-craft says I was made to be this therefore I am.
Most other houses say this to me too because I am "Power tool" challenged :lol: I do love the Real Good Toys Mountain View cottage. an idea for it has been forming in my mind :p

The Bayberry is not really saying what it wants to be just that it wants it exterior trim painted orange. Not a pumpkin orange, lighter but darker that a yellow orange. The main exterior color is difficult to interput. Like a melon/cantalope color. I

Oooooooooooohhh!! Way cool color scheme!! I like it!!

Deb

I spent quite a happy while browsing your site Deb. You do wonderful work. :lol:

<blushing> Thank you Amy! I'm happiest when I'm making minis, but I think that what I like better is sharing them with other people so they'll be happy too.

Deb