Computer interior decorating programs for minis?

Skittiescat

Hi Everyone,

While we're talking about computer programs (Photoshop thread) I have been wondering if anybody uses interior decorating software to try out mini options.

Now that my Glencroft is at that great stage where I'm just making accessories, I'm itching to start my next house, the Fairfield.

The only problem is that once this little house is built, I don't think it will be very easy to change things. So I was thinking about those computer programs for interior decorating to help me plan it out, because I have trouble making up my mind about things untill I can see them :lol:.

Has anybody used one of these programs for your dollhouse, and if so, could you please reccommend one for someone who is totally awful at complicated computer programs :D ?

And if you don't use computer programs, how do you plan out your houses?

Thanks,

-Krista

errrmm you suppose to plan them out?? :lol:

actually I would love to have a program to help me with such issues. and I suffer with many of them!

it is good idea to have a plan of action before starting...like what style, what colors, what parts of the house should be done first...some areas of many houses are hard to get to once you have put up walls and stairs...good idea for the dry fit to see where these areas are.

who will "live" in your house and who will play with your house can affect how you would want to decorate....I mean if house if for child you may not want to use high dollar wallpaper. if it is for yourself you may want to.

but seriously its all about the fun and enjoyment. so go with what you like and what you will enjoy!

nutti <_<

I'm really impressed! I just assumed that because your houses and the other images in the gallery are so beautiful, that they were really intricately planned out.

I'm going to have to try to just 'let go' and hope for the best! (that does sound like ALOT more fun anyway! <_<

Thanks!

PLAN.... :lol: I can't plan how I am gonna do a house. I thought you knew by now that these houses have there own mind! Everytime I plan how I want a house to be, it changes so much that it never looks they way I pictured it in my minds eye so I really truly think each kit has it's own mind made up about what it wants to be <_< that's my story and I am sticking to it.

As regards to computer programs, Emily (FOV) mentioned a game called SIMS, you pick there houses cloths and stuff like that and you get to watch them grow up and old. I want to buy that one day but I am afraid I will get addicted :p

Ya know, I know there are some people who actually plan there houses out and it turns out looking just like what they had on paper. I am one of those people who can't do that though. I don't kow why, I just can't.

Oh Tracy!! I was SO addicted to the Sims. I had to walk away. I was doing that thing to the family (yeah yeah, a huh.)

I started off with the Sims basic version. You have to have that one to be able to load the upgrade games. Then I had them all. I had to stop. I did. Then Sims2 came out! I had to try it..LOL and the last one I bought was the college one for sims2. I did get sims2 for PS2 but it isnt the same. You can do wallpaper, carpet, hardwoods, gardening, you can get a program to make your own stuff, clothing, marriages, children...

OMG! I hope I dont get the sims itch.

If you are really interested..Here is the link to the official website.

Dont worry I wont get addicted. I have dhs now! <_<

Krista, for rooms I have a kinda sorta plan. I kinda sorta know what I want to do but it never really comes together how I first invisioned it. You might find the best sofa on ebay, then you find a different kind of wallpaper at the craft store, then you fall in love with a color of paint. Anything can make it change and I think that is good. The way the world is going, we all need to be able to control something.

Be it dollhouses..or Sims.

Don't worry, I'm addicted to the SIMS too.........I started out with the delux one, then added the pets, now I've got the vacation one and I think like superstar that I haven't installed yet, but, then I got the dh and the sims are just in the poor computer lol Decorating ideas from there is really a good idea too....they have so many different wallpapers and furniature...it's nuts what you can make them people do <_<

I tried to play the sims once. I had a couple with kids that shippedd all their kids off to military school or something, The single guy argued with everyone, the 2 girl room mates, fell in love. The only stable family was the very gothic couple and their kids. lol.

Melissa. Who whenever she plans a dollhouse the house argues with her.

Hey, I'm working on the fairfield right now - it is difficulat to change things - at least for me. I didn't use a program, but what I did do was start with the exterior paint. I went to the hardware store and got paint color cards for colors I liked and went home and looked them over. Once I chose a main color I looked into a complimentary color for the trim and then a stain color for wooden parts like the shingles and the staircase - etc. Once those were set on I looked into wallpapers in the same colors as my paints. While real life houses don't often have complimentary colors inside to those poutside I have found that using the same color pallate inside and out on your dollhouse gives it a more coheasive look because you will see both simultaneously while looking at the house - although there are many houses that are not done in complimentary colors inside and out that look fine - it's just a matter of taste. I'm very conservative in my tastes so I like everything to approximate a match - If you're bolder than I, and I daresay that most people are going for something a little more wild may make you happier.

I have found that using the same color pallate inside and out on your dollhouse gives it a more coheasive look because you will see both simultaneously while looking at the house

I agree. I'd found a really nifty color combination for the outside of my Orchid, but it had a color in it that would have clashed with the more muted palette of the interior, so I changed it. I have a feeling I'll use palette #1 one day, but it will be on a more modern house.

(photos in the gallery)

Wow. I thought I was the only one that got terribly addicted to The Sims! UGH. Alot f fun to decorate the homes, build the family and then watch all the drama!! Yes... I hope I don;t get teh Sims "itch" again. It was very hard to walk away from. LOL <_<

My son thinks that the idea of SIMS is weak so he never bought the game but I keep asking him about it so maybe one day I'll get it (Since he borrowed my PS2 and never gave it back).

Which game system have the best version of SIMs? We have basically all the game systems (I used to play them a LOT back in the day and David still plays them himself).

Hi Everyone,

While we're talking about computer programs (Photoshop thread) I have been wondering if anybody uses interior decorating software to try out mini options.

Now that my Glencroft is at that great stage where I'm just making accessories, I'm itching to start my next house, the Fairfield.

The only problem is that once this little house is built, I don't think it will be very easy to change things. So I was thinking about those computer programs for interior decorating to help me plan it out, because I have trouble making up my mind about things untill I can see them <_<.

Has anybody used one of these programs for your dollhouse, and if so, could you please reccommend one for someone who is totally awful at complicated computer programs :lol: ?

Thanks,

-Krista

Hi ,

I've niver used that but I think it's an outstanding idea . I'm new to the miniature world. Can Ya tell LOL

Tracy, I didnt like the one for Playstation2. It got really boring, really fast. But I think that is because I was so addicted to the PC version. PC is the way to go with this game! <_<

Long hours of play, long hours of hungry children! LOL

LOL <_< ! I too was a SIMS addict. It never even occured to me to use the game to plan out my house! I went so far as to buy the Business expansion pack for the Sims 2, but my poor little computer couldn't handle that much Sims, so it helped me to end the addiction.

I think I'm a little intimidated by the small size of half scale, so I worried too much. I still haven't decorated the half scale store I build in the Guys from Texas class last spring! All right, first things first, a trip to the scrapbook store to find some inspiring papers. That idea of finding a main colour I like, then choosing a complimentary pallette for inside and out, is really great. My Glencroft is just plaster and wood inside, so I didn't go through that part with it!

Thanks everyone!

I don't use an interior design program. Although I have thought about it. I seen a $9.99 cd at OfficeMax I think. It could have been for home design. I should have bought it. I use Adobe Illustrator to make wallpaper and borders using the pattern swatch plug ins or I make my own pattern swatch. I have designed a few in photoshop too, but I didn't like the final product.

I LOVE the Sims too. Not so much to play the characters out, but to build and design and decorate the houses. I guess that was sorta my first step (albeit digital) into "dollhouse" making. Now I'm doing it in the real world! :lol:

I also wondered if there was some sort of computer interior decorating program for minis. I also thought about just getting one of those home design software programs and adapt it to use for dollhouses.

That's a neat idea to design your own wallpapers and stuff in Illustrator and Photoshop. I just might have to try that! :p

Yes Brenda. Chelsea has made me some montage`s in mini for my obsession. She loves to make her own things and layer layer layer.

When I get the MHM done you will see what I am talking about, the goodies are all packed away!

9.99 is a good price for a home plan or decorating CD. I buy things and never use them it seems (so I stopped buying them this year after seeing how many CDs I have that are not used :lol: )

This SIMS thingy sounds fun...More time on the PC won't fly well with my family though :p

I ,heidiiiii, state that I had no part in Tracy`s pending addiction the sims franchise. I do not admit guilt if she spends hours in front of the computer manipulating her lil sims. I do not admit guilt if she uses some of her computer memory. I do not admit guilt if her family eats PB&J for dinner. I am stating these facts for the record in the greenleaf forum for all to witness.

Date signed August 16,2006

Cyber Notarized

ROFL! :lol: :p

I ,heidiiiii, state that I had no part in Tracy`s pending addiction the sims franchise. I do not admit guilt if she spends hours in front of the computer manipulating her lil sims. I do not admit guilt if she uses some of her computer memory. I do not admit guilt if her family eats PB&J for dinner. I am stating these facts for the record in the greenleaf forum for all to witness.

Date signed August 16,2006

Cyber Notarized

ROFL! :p:D

All right, since I can't BLAME anyone (or is this just you I can't blame :lol: ) I won't have an excuss so I can't buy the game (I can borrow it from the library though ;) ) Oh no, maybe that would not be a good idea either.....

Well I guess logically the blame would fall to me next because I started this durn thread in the first place! :lol:

But hopefully I can hitch my name to the disclaimer before any real damage is done! :p

$9.99 for a computer decorating program sounds like exactly what I was thinking about/hoping for. I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open!