MHM Attic

heidiiiii

hey Heidi you can find some barrels in the wood craft section

at Hobby lobby or that AC moore everyone talks about.

they sell 4 in a bag. to be painted or stained.

nutti :o

find a fierce dog to protect the goods
a HUGE dog with one of those spikey collars and a snarl!

Check the little toy dispenser machines like you find in restaurant lobbies and shopping malls, one of the pupdogs Peggi sent me is PERFECT!

I saw those at the grocery store yesterday but didnt think to stop and put some money in. It wasnt those dogs with the chains and timberlands on..LOL Just straight dogs. With my luck I will end up with a chihauhau.(sp?) but they can be pretty vicious! :o

The room is kinda small and it has the peak so you can`t really fit any big furniture in but if anyone has any other ideas for the hooch room, please let me know. I didnt hook electricity in there. It is a secret! Dont want the Man to find out about it!

Speaking of small vicious dogs the only dog that ever actually attacked me was a miniature poodle -- nasty little creature -- tore a hole in the ankle of my sock :o -- so maybe a Mexican Hairless for protection isn't such a bad idea :lol:

You'll need an extra plank over your entrance to lock out the gumshoes in an emergency. And if the attic has a window what about a black-out shade? Seltzer bottles, ice bucket and a wooden crate with straw containing the latest delivery :D

Need miniature mason jars--at least that is what the bootleggers around here use to use :D :lol: Bags of sugar also were used. Of course I'm thinking more in the line of moonshiners. The county I live in was the moonshine capital of GA about 30 years ago. :o

that is what the bootleggers around here use to use

I nearly fell out spotting a brand of somebody's corn whiskey in a glass masonjar-shaped container at a little liquor store in Valdosta. I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole, but we used to know a fella in Union, SC, who made his own & brought it to parties and one night after a couple of visits to the mason jar he did handstands on the back of a folding chair on the dining table & crowed like a rooster until he lost his balance.

You can stick a stub of a candle on an empty jar and set it on an empty crate.

Speaking of small vicious dogs the only dog that ever actually attacked me was a miniature poodle -- nasty little creature -- tore a hole in the ankle of my sock -- so maybe a Mexican Hairless for protection isn't such a bad idea

Oh Charlene, you just brought back a bad memory! :lol: I was bitten by a poodle when I was about five years old . . . he bite me right on the nose . . . I had to go to the hospital and everything!! :o

Speaking of dogs Heidi, I found some real neat animals at this seller's store on eBay . . . http://stores.ebay.com/TGF-Toys_W0QQssPage...sQ3amesstQQtZkm. They have all kinds of dogs!!

Michael's also sells the "Safari" animals . . . there's some dogs there . . . how about a hyena?!! :D

:D I'm tellin' ya -- poodles are the worst!!! But a hyena might work.. or a wolf?

Oh, yes, definitely mason jars -- that's what it comes in around here, too. What about a small bathtub for brewing the gin?

Heidi, depending on where your 'family' gets their 'recipe' ;) (code name for homemade hooch, moonshine, white lightnin' ) you might want to have a bluetick, or a black and tan hound dog, or just a regular old bloodhound! :D Since my dad was from N. Carolina, there are 'recipe' and hooch stories abound. My grandfather used to know someone who sold it on the streetcorner! :lol:

Definitely lots of mason jars, some of those gallon jug glass jars, a barrel next to your stash of sugar with a curly cue pipe coming out of it, and a shot gun too! Moonshiners were quite protective of their hooch. If it is prohibition, maybe an old claw footed bathtub filled with the bathtub gin! You could use glass stain or resin along with a water dipper and some glasses or cups nearby.......

Also, one thing you definitely will need are little 'dixie' cups next to the gallon jugs.... :p that's what they drink out of at wakes(funerals) in the NC state....... :o

Send us some pics! In one of the old issues of AM someone did a moonshiners' cabin, it was cool! There were pictures of the 'still'.

ROFL!!!!

OMG! This is too funny.

I can see the faces on the women at the check out at AC Moore:

1. Mini mason jars

2. mini bag of sugar

3. mini shotgun (that one is good! I didnt think of that)

4. candle is good idea

I was thinking of a hound dog. I used to own a half hound half dalmation named Daisy! She was a hoot. We had rescued her from a yard sale (i swear! LOL ) We had her for about a week and fil came to visit and FELL IN LOVE. We told him he could keep her. He kept Daisy for about 5 yrs. He took her to N.C. with him. His mother fell in love with her and she kept her after my inlaws decided to move back to this area.

Ebay: found mason jars, sugar sack,shot gun,seltzer bottle,ladle, and only basset hounds.

:lol: Somehow I just don't see a bassett hound putting anyone in fear for their life!!! :D OOOO -- DH's aunt (who's 82 so she would know), says everyone had their own wooden ladle to use pre-paper cups -- and don't forget the quintessential little brown jugs -- that's what you use in the hollows of WV!!! :o

<rolling around on the floor> Ya'll are cracking me up. Mason jars, pottery jugs, bags of sugar, a hound dog and a shot gun! hehehehehehehehee Our southern is showing here. hehehehhehehehee

Heidi, I can't wait to see how it comes out. I think it's a spectacular idea that will add a very unique feature to your house.

Deb

Deb, want to hear something else funny? I dont drink! Only a wine cooler here and there but nothing. I havent had real booze hit my lips until I had that cracked filling and I took a shot of rum!

It just hit me. The room was too small and had bad angles to fit anything large in. There is no staircase for it so it is not assessible, and then it just hit me. What would be an excellent SECRET room? That is why I even decided on no lights. Can`t let it be known that the mister is up there doing something.

Nat helped me pick out the bottles!

I think I watch too much discovery channel (Illegal drugs series).

You also know that if this still is set up outside, you would need an old radiator or plenty of copper tubing all close to a water source. (don't even ask how I know this :D :lol: :o )

:D Heidi, this makes me roll over with laughter....partly because I remember the ole stories of my great aunts and uncles telling about the wakes, and my mom too! You could have an old jalopy outside with some of the mason jars next to a gas can...some of the old timers would put it in their gas tanks to avoid the revenuer's ( if they can be believed!) :lol:

Have you tried HBS? They might have a bloodhound! Another thing you could have is an old book or leather bag with his 'money' for the hooch sticking out of it, or better yet, money sticking out of the mattress in one of the bedrooms! Remember, they didn't use the bank unless they had to! :o

This will be a cool room, I can hardly wait to see it. You could also have tin cans strung about on a string so anyone trying to break into the room would 'alert' the miser somebody is trying to steal his stash! They used to booby trap the places where their stills were............ ;)

You all have me wanting to go dig out my copy of Paper Moon!

I said this a while ago that the government is giving out permission slips to people who want to distill their own petrol for the car.

It is said that it isnt highly regulated. But you can buy a still for a $1000 or so, make your own hooch, and PROMISE to put some additive in it so that it isnt drinkable. Hahahahaha Promise? The government?

I will take my time and find the right things to stick in there. I have a downed tree branch in the yard. I am going to cut lengths and make a ladder.

Ooo! It just hit me.. A lantern on the table. and I need some playing cards!