Wish I had One

Wow - well it just goes to show.. I'm not sure what it goes to show but it sure does anyway! If I'd seen one of these at a yard sale or estate sale I'd have walked right past and had no interrest - and would have also had No Idea they were worth that much! wow - I learn something new every day :D And I'll be keeping my eyes open for tin houses of course if I do find one it will no doubt be rusty but I'll at least give it a look over!

-David :wacko:

Y'all did catch the seller's comment about if you open it & there's a problem, it's your problem? Makes you wonder (well, makes me wonder). BTW Wormann's rates the tin litho houses in mint condition around US$300 (unless they've shot up in value that much in the past year or so...)

David, I think it goes to show that PT Barnum was right.

Y'all did catch the seller's comment about if you open it & there's a problem, it's your problem? Makes you wonder (well, makes me wonder). BTW Wormann's rates the tin litho houses in mint condition around US$300 (unless they've shot up in value that much in the past year or so...)

David, I think it goes to show that PT Barnum was right.

Makes me wonder too. You could open a box of rust particles

I can't imagine it going for that much. Last year, I bought one for my granddaughter and I paid $25. on ebay. It was put together already and it did cost me a considerable sum for shipping to Canada. But it was in very good condition with no rust and included in the purchase was all the furniture. I agree with Holly.

I can't imagine it going for that much. Last year, I bought one for my granddaughter and I paid $25. on ebay.

I did too this past winter! Mine is still in the box never put together all of the furniture has never been taken off the plastic and I paid $36 including shipping! It's put away till we move but that one is for the girls. If I had another one that was mine.......Well let's say I would be listing it today :D

I never knew there were so many different ones out there. I found one site that had about 20 different ones!!

Tracy,

Sounds like you got a great buy on your tin house. And it even came with the cars - too cool :D I saw a tin house once on ebay that had some disney stuff printed on it inside in the upstairs I think it was - I didn't pay too much attention to it but I remember looking at it because it said Disney in the listing and Mack is building his own disney house (once I get the electrical finished.. I may just forget soldering and go with Darrells tutorial which looks tons more simple :D) Anyway I remember that I thought the price was way too high for the Disney tin house but I wish I could remember what it was going for.

Holly,

LoL Oh yea PT Barnum really had something there! Sometimes I swear they see me coming! :D I'm afraid I've been just that "sucker" P.T. was talking about on more than one occasion but how much fun would life be if we didn't fall for something now and then? I've bought more useless kitchen gadgets than I want to think about. Does anyone remember fondu? :wacko:

-David

Does anyone remember fondu? :D

-David

<hanging head and scuffing toe in the dirt> You mean like the one I bought last year? Hey, I used it! Once. :wacko: But speaking of totally useless kitchen gadgets, the one that boggles my mind is the battery powered potato peeler. Have you seen those things? They might work well if you want to massage a potato, but I don't see them as worthwhile for removing the peel.

I'm stunned at the price the tin house is going for!! There's a tin house going for $6 on shopgoodwill right now.

Deb

I disagree about suckers. The reason that went for so much, and the reason the seller takes no responsibility for damage, is that it has NEVER been opened. For collectibles that makes all the difference. The person who bought that is likely to never see what's inside the box.

. The person who bought that is likely to never see what's inside the box.

That is why I was so scared to buy one off ebay last year. It had never been opened until I did and boy was I excited. It's like the same one I had when I was a little girl. Mine don't have a disney room which I think sell for more. None of the furniture or anything had been taken apart.

:wacko:

Andrew, if it is a collector to buy it you are right! They'll never open the box :D

My girlfriend, who's not into dollhouses, bought a tin house from a lady at a garage sale. I haven't seen it, but I think she only paid something like $20 for it already built. Hmmmm . . . I might have to get myself invited over and have a peek at it!! :D

Were the tin houses to any particular scale? It seems to me the ones my neighbors & friends had were smaller, maybe 1:16 or 1:18, if not 1:24; my Keystone was 1:16 and it was slightly larger than most of my friends' tin houses.

I remember the relative sizes of dollhouses from our going to each other's houses to play with them, and later reading about the Keystone & some of the others. I know the 1:12 seems large compared to the one I had, but then I remember some of the houses Mrs Jacobs had on display.

The problem I'd have with an "as is" discontinued kit is there's nothing in the ad to say whether the instructions, etc, are there or not, and the way the ads are worded you could wind up with a box of scraps & have no recourse. That cynical bit of nastiness expressed, I could wish Greenleaf would reissue the Rosedale & Washington, they are both BOSS kits.