The smallest of dollhouses

MerriMagic

I've been looking at the smallest of Greenleaf's houses..the 1/2 scale..one half an inch to a foot...and am wondering if they present any special problems. I've no experience in furnishing as yet..so are there companies who make furniture for these extra tiny homes? Or of necessity are miniaturists expected to construct all the furniture for them?

I'll be buying a kit sometime in the next two weeks, and having such a tiny project would be extra nice for me, because I live in a real life dollhouse...less than 800 sq feet of living space. What with hubby, me, five cats and a VERY large dog, every square inch of space is at a premium.

Merri

the size is fabulous for small spaces....the furniture seems to fluctuate in size from manufacturer to manufacturer....this is my first foray into 1/2 scale so i'm not much help :)

Welcome to the forum. :)

There's more available in half scale than you'd initially think, but it can be harder to find than 1" furniture and you sometimes have to get creative.

You should take a look at the half scale thread here -- lots of good advice, plus links to several options for half scale furniture.

I'm furnishing my Fairfield with a mix of pre-built, kit, and resin furniture. You'll find some pictures here and here.

And make sure to browse the galleries to see what others have done in half scale. You can search for the names of the different half scale houses (Fairfield, Rosedale, Chantilly, etc.)

Jeanne & Linda, my houses talk to me when I build them and so they have to have people live in them. I make my own dolls and I do make them to scale, and I have learned that some manufactured 1:24 furniture makes my 3" tall man look like a GIANT! So far the 1:24 kit furniture and the furniture I make "from scratch" looks just fine with the little people.

My first 1:24 is the adobe La Casita and I'm working on populating the bash of two Fairfields into a Bar Harbor Summer "cottage".

Jeanne & Linda, my houses talk to me when I build them and so they have to have people live in them. I make my own dolls and I do make them to scale, and I have learned that some manufactured 1:24 furniture makes my 3" tall man look like a GIANT! So far the 1:24 kit furniture and the furniture I make "from scratch" looks just fine with the little people.

My first 1:24 is the adobe La Casita and I'm working on populating the bash of two Fairfields into a Bar Harbor Summer "cottage".

OOoooo,memories! My Grandparents had a summer cottage near Bar Harbor(Prospect

Harbor) and I loved it up in Maine so much!! Yes,we need to see more pix!!!!!! :)

The few times people have put a digital ccamera into my hands, all set to take a picture, one of two things happen; it either turns itself off or else just NOTHING. DH has suggested I give off some sort of electronic negative signal that messes up digital cameras! I've asked him to take pictures with his and he just laughs at me. The only decent pictures in my albums are the ones KathieB took with her digital camera, a few that Peggi took with hers, and the ones of my Aubusson rug & dining chair seats that DS#2 took. I'm hopeless!

BTW, Jeanne, the smallest of dollhouses that Greenleaf makes are in 1:48 scale, and I think it's Northeastern Scale Lumber that makes the Beacon Hill and a couple of other GL kits in 1:144.

Oh Holly! I LOVE the idea of making dolls especially for the theme of a house. I've seen your dolls in some of the pictures here. Gorgeous! They really make a dollhouse come alive.

If you liked to play with clay as a child, you'll love making dolls! I use polymer clay and chenille stems, and I will be taking a whole bunch of pictures of the Fairfields and their contents & inhabitants once I've gotten a bit further along.