R U READY?

fairymom

A certain portion would be grass to graze the critters during a seige, and there'd be a garden for herbs & veggies outside the kitchen, the area near the stables might be cobbled.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well are there any new progress on the Castles?

Err.. um.. <gulp> no. Not since I got it stripped. I keep telling myself soon soon my pressssciousssss.. but it just sits there as if to say "oh yea I heard THAT before!" :D:)

-David :)

A certain portion would be grass to graze the critters during a seige, and there'd be a garden for herbs & veggies outside the kitchen, the area near the stables might be cobbled.

Thanks -- Sounds better than plain old dirt :) Got a flock? herd? whatever of piggies in right scale for the critter pens (thank you MOM!!!!), but haven't found any tiny cows yet. Need cows. :D Horses, too, I guess.

Here's the plan -- I'm doing an armory/farrier in one of the front tower sections which I thought I'd put cobbles around. The stable/pen would be right in front of that...of course, the actual pens would have to be dirt. Also thought I'd cobble the gate area and sort of carry it up toward the center. Hadn't thought of a garden -- Splendid!! Do a kitchen area in one of the rear tower thingees and a garden just outside. So much more interesting than dirt :)

Some of the nicer toy stores carry really good-looking farm animals now. The horses in scale are available from Breyer and also some of the knock-offs (BGF?). Dont' forget a handcart or wheelbarrow & maybe a wagon.

Some of the nicer toy stores carry really good-looking farm animals now. The horses in scale are available from Breyer and also some of the knock-offs (BGF?). Dont' forget a handcart or wheelbarrow & maybe a wagon.

Why, Holly, you know so much about castle stuff -- I suspect, in a prior life, you were a medieval maiden! :)

Don't know where Mom found the tiny pigs -- they're perfect for 1:24 scale. Does Breyer make horses that small? I know their "classic" line is 1:12. Also gonna see if I can find some tiny hens -- tho' if I can't I might be able to pull those off in Fimo. Know I can't do a horse or cow, tho :) Think a cow, some pigs and the chicks might be enough if I can't find horses. Does anyone know how high a horse would be in 1:24? :D Sorry, I'm a true-blue city girl even if I am in the country now! A while back I saw some really nice toy farm animals in one of the stores and darned if I can remember where. Wish I'd bought them then, but I (duh!) figured I'd have no use for them since they were too small for 1/12 scenes.

Oh, yeah, a handcart...one of the magazines (DHM? AM?) had a how-to for one some time ago (probably years ago)...as I recall it was in 1" but I can cut it down. It was part of a medieval minis spread they did. Back to rooting thru' the magazine piles ;) Also have to do an anvil (for the smith), some tiny swords, shields and I may try my hand a making some little armor from some metal I have -- at least I can probably do a helmet. Also have to do Fimo veggies. Gee, I think this may take a while. :o

But first must finish the Prancing Pony which is quickly winding down and I will have at long last completed a project :)

The medieval minis spread in American Miniaturist was September 05. I believe that's the one with the cart in it too.

-David

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK!!! Have you any idea how long it takes to go through all those old mags? You saved me bundles of time...I'm off the the AM shelf. :D

Oops, forget the Breyer horses, I was visualizing this HUMONGOUS 1:12 scale castle! The toy stores I'm thinking of have all sorts of knights & horses and other Medieval folks (no peasants, alas!) to people your castle.

Here is a pic of some really cool chairs that I ordered for my castle. They just came in today.

I got a table too. :rolleyes: I finished the "stones" and will be putting the plaster on tomorrow. I will be doing the fireplace too. I was able to get the same arch that is in the doorways on the fireplace. I think I may try a wooden spiral stair. Not sure yet. I am trying to have this done very soon as I need the desk for the next build. Any opinions on beds?

Melanie your castle looks wonderful!

I just took another long look and I just cant wait to see how it turns out.

it is just the perfect size for those dolls. I have 2 still in the boxes for a castle down the road!

nutti :rolleyes:

Melanie,

Your castle is looking beautiful! I can't wait till mine gets that far along! I haven't forgotten about it just because another project with a deadline has come up - I'm still collectnig bits for it. Oh! And Micheals just got in some of their Halloween stuff including Spooky Hollow (I think that's the name of it) They have a set of trick or treat pails just about 1:12 scale and a very cool set of Gargoyles! <_< I can't wait to use the gargoyles in my castle!!

Holly- thanks for the heads up on the new issue of MC - I guess I'm going to have to buy that one - I'll at least have to be sure I give it a good look over - I hope the instructions are for the entire bed - that would be too cool!

-David :rolleyes:

I hope the instructions are for the entire bed - that would be too cool!

Indeed they do, and you could modify the instruction to make a single-mattress bed. I've been collecting the issues for the paneled library roombox because there are so many how-tos I can use or adapt for various projects.

Love your castle Melanie & the chairs look great! A princess & the pea bed would be perfect, wouldn't it? I always think of castle beds as being those huge numbers with their own ceilings & curtains...guess I'll have to look up MC at the store since I don't subscribe.

Charlene your Castle is looking WONDERFUL!!

Your Princess Barbie fit in well in the Castle too. The Lavendar upholstered Chairs look wonderful! I just can't wait to see more about what you do as you finish this Castle.

I don't get MC and can't find it anywhere around here. I'll have to post a pick of the bed room so you you can see my problem. Where to put them. With the french doors in the middle if I put the beds on either side it would block the door ways. I got the rest of the bricks glued on last night so today I get to plaster! Once the plaster dries I can glue on the doors and trim and then paint the stones. Then It's just the stairs and benches. ( I stained the pieces of side tables and will be making them today too.) What a great day to mini. Now if I can really get it all done.

Thanks Holly! I can't wait to get to the mini shop to see that issue. :rolleyes:

Melanie - I think Earth & Tree sells MC I'm not sure but I've ordered issues of American Miniaturist from them, they're really nice to order from. And until I found our miniature shop MC was the only miniature magazine that anyone around here carried at all - it's the only one our Newstands carry. And once again - your castle is looking just Awesome! I love the furniture you have picked out for it!

-David

think of castle beds as being those huge numbers with their own ceilings & curtains

I'd like to try building one of those with all the carving (ha!) some day. If you can get a half-testerbed kit I think you could make one and simulate some of the carving.

I'd like to try building one of those with all the carving (ha!) some day. If you can get a half-testerbed kit I think you could make one and simulate some of the carving.

Actually, I thought of building one using some of those those neat resin trims you can get. Some of them are so intricate and you're supposed to be able to stain them-- bit pricey, but lots cheaper than buying the bed and certainly less frustrating that cutting my fingers off carving!

Melanie: Your castle is looking very good. I like the floor and your table and chairs. Maybe for a bed you can just use a straw mattress thrown on the floor.