Light blue porch ceiling

mesp2k

I'm a huge fan of the blue ceilings. It's a older home tradition for sure.

Wish I had an old fashioned big front to side wrap around porch to do it to. Oh well, should be happy with what I have.

...thanks...

How do you feel about this:

Should I paint the porch floor & stair treads grey? If the house is at the cool end of the color spectrum should I use a cool grey or warm grey with warm house colors? Can it be the trim color if the trim is medium to dark?

Hi!

I put a dark grey porch on a light pink Peirce and I was surprised at the way it made the pink pop out! I thin it draws more attention to the color of the house. I have pics of it in my gallery if you want to look...

I have never heard of light blue under the porch roof...guess I have to pay more attention!

I put a dark grey porch on a light pink Peirce and I was surprised at the way it made the pink pop out!

I have never heard of light blue under the porch roof...guess I have to pay more attention!

Hey Jennifer - I looked at your dark grey porch floor & now I kinda like the idea! Thanks & your Pink Peirce looks great!

I remember seeing something about a certain shade of pink being used in jail cells to keep the inmates calm. The journalist conducted the interview in a pink cell with the warden then when the interview was near the end - the journalist was asked to raise his arm - the warden pressed down on the journalist's arm which had very little resistance - believe it or not! :) Jennifer does you dollhouse relax you? :p I wasn't implying that you were a criminal or anything like that... :) :yes:

Never heard of blue porch ceilings huh? I have to admit I really have to be looking for them to notice. Its kinda like when yu buy a car you tend to notice them on the road. Now we will all be having dreams about blue ceilings! :D Maybe its a east coast thing? Are these blue ceilings all over the U. S. ? The world?! :o Oh my!

...sorry couldn't stop myself from talking - I wonder if there is color for that... :o

:o Jennifer does you dollhouse relax you? :o I wasn't implying that you were a criminal or anything like that... :) :yes:

:) Maybe its a east coast thing? Are these blue ceilings all over the U. S. ? The world?! :D Oh my!

Yeah, I guess it does relax me. It has the opposite effect on my 6 year old daughter...she starts bouncing off the walls...

East Coast or Victorian? I'm gonna do a little research...

The ones I have seen are in the south and are on antebellum houses as well as early 20th century. I guess when they invented air conditioning, they closed the windows and didn't have to worry about flies!

eye candy - interesting comments to.

more...

Haint Blue brought to America from Africa. (haint = haunt = keep away evil spirits)

pretty...I kinda like the brown / wood floor too...

The house we're renting now has a beautiful wrap around porch - the posts, railings & balusters were left intact but the house was vinylized :o along the porch ceiling - vinyl white! :yes:

eye candy - interesting comments to.

more...

Haint Blue brought to America from Africa. (haint = haunt = keep away evil spirits)

pretty...I kinda like the brown / wood floor too...

The house we're renting now has a beautiful wrap around porch - the posts, railings & balusters were left intact but the house was vinylized :o along the porch ceiling - vinyl white! :yes:

Oh wow, great links! Those houses are beautiful! I especially liked where it said

"A common color for porch ceilings, haint blue was thought to keep bugs away as well as spirits. Now it is thought that it was actually the lime in many southern based paints that acted as a natural insecticide...But the color still remains a tradition across the colonial states. Photo by Jennifer Dickert."

Sherry - I was going to say paint the garden hose fluorescent orange, but there's probably a snake that color too...
Corn snakes can be orange & reddish orange, I got to play with one at the Eglin AFB Air Show Sunday.