Silly Bird

darrellandmelissa

For the past few days whenever I would walk by my open front door, or open the front door, I would see, or hear, a bird fly away. This has been going on for at least the last 4 days. Today as I walked by the open door, I noticed a bird. It was about to land on the grapevine decorated wreath I have hanging there. I went and examined the wreath to see why the bird was there. perhaps it was stealing stuff from it to build a nest. To my suprise it was not stealing nesting material, but had built a nest there and layed 4 tiny, white, speckled eggs.

I had Darrell take pics, but we are having RAM trouble with that comp, so untill it gets fixed, I can not upload pics from the cam, and am forced to go into my son's room to use his comp.

I have DECLAIRED the front door off limits and placed signs inside and outside of the door stating " Please use the back door" I do not want the nest to be disturbed, now that I know it is there.

Melissa

That is so awesome! I had a dove build a nest on top of a post on my deck and did the same thing...the deck was off-limits until baby dove grew up. (Only one survived.) What kind of bird is nesting in your wreath? I do hope you'll get some pictures. :lol:

Good luck!!

Maresiedotes

I had a bird build a nest in my mailbox! I had to move it because well, I had to get my mail. It was the beginnings of a nest.. not occupied.

I went and bought a new mailbox and took the old one (looks like a house) and stuck it on the side of the house away from foot traffic. It is now occupied! :lol:

Melissa, didn't something like this happen to you before? or am I remembering someone else's nest-on-the-porch story (either the archives here or DHM)? My favorite bird story is one time when DS#3 was visiting he & his dad were working next to the front porch and chatting about the occasional hummingbirds that visit our hibiscuses from time to time. Suddenly DS asked, "What's that buzzing? It has to be a huge bug!" (he has arachniphobia to an extreme) and when he could focus, there was a little brown hummingbird going eyeball-to-eyeball with him. We all fell out laughing!

I have a bird feeder on the balcony so no birds will nest there...too much 'action' and other birds flying in and out. HOWEVER, my cats get a daily visitor. Every day just after lunch a squirrel gets up on my balcony and sits on the exterior window sill and the cat sits on the interior one and they play with each other through the glass. I haven't been able to get a picture of it because if the squirrel sees me and sees me moving, he bolts. But the whole thing is so funny to watch. When the fruit around my house starts to go bad, I leave it out for him. I've nicknamed him Melvin. He loves the rocking chair on the balcony too and has figured out how to sit on the back of it and rock it and he'll sit there for hours and rock...so funny.

I have a love/hate relationship with squirrels.

I love them when it is in the fall and I have nuts leftover from Thanksgiving and I throw walnuts to them and they catch them when they bounce.

I hate them because when i was a small child (7yr-8yr) I went into our garage to get my bike. Then I heard a chitchitchit noise behind me. It was a squirrel growling at me! I could SWEAR he had something wrong with him. I threw something in it`s direction and it didnt move!

After it finally fled, I ran in the house and whenever I had to go in the garage, I had heart palpatations!

Just goes to show what trusting creatures birds are !

I had a couple of house finches build a nest in one of my hanging baskets at my kitchen window. Five eggs, five baby chicks! I was privilaged enough to see 2 out of 5 leave the nest!! Way too cool! Now, I have another pair building a nest in one of my front window boxes. One egg so far. I've attached pictures of my five babies!! Too cute!!

You can even see the dying plants in the first picture . . . that was the last bird to leave. I couldn't water the plant for fear of scaring them out of the basket too soon!! Needless to say I had to replace most of the plants . . . but it was worth it!

post-267-1150339579_thumb.jpg

post-267-1150339612_thumb.jpg

post-267-1150339700_thumb.jpg

post-267-1150339735_thumb.jpg

Here are a few pictures of the birds nest.

post-27-1150563598_thumb.jpg

I can not understand how I could walk past this several times a day and not noticed it was being built.

Here is a pic of the mama bird on the nest.

post-27-1150563649_thumb.jpg

These are the eggs

post-27-1150563739_thumb.jpg

I do not know what kind of bird it is. I may try to look it up.

Melissa

Great Pictures Y'all!!!!!

Better at your houses than mine. My 3 cats would have too much fun with those sweet things. They brought home a robin the other day. So sad.

Melissa, I cannot wait to see pictures when they hatch!!!

SuzyQ

I had a couple of house finches build a nest in one of my hanging baskets at my kitchen window. Five eggs, five baby chicks! I was privilaged enough to see 2 out of 5 leave the nest!! Way too cool! Now, I have another pair building a nest in one of my front window boxes. One egg so far. I've attached pictures of my five babies!! Too cute!!

I was curious, so I checked for your name on the Avian Travel Resorts website Teresa. You're listed as a five star BB&B (birdy bed and beakfest). :) The ad said to contact someone named Picasso@martens.com Kinda makes you wonder what he's up to when you're not looking, doesn't it!

Melissa, your birdnest wreath is just too cool! What a neat surprise to find on the door. It's also very cool that you're making sure they aren't being disturbed.

Deb

Deb, you kill me!! I have to share this with my hubby! I think we're going to have to start locking Picasso in his cage at night and when we're not home! Naughty bird!! :)

Melissa, those eggs look like the ones we had. Looks like a house finch to me. Have you seen the male? He's probably around somewhere close. He will have a red head and red breast. Hope all your babies hatch!! :rolleyes:

How wonderful for you Melissa! I hope to see more pix soon! Can you describe the bird? Perhaps someone here knows what it is.

I had to quit putting hanging plants on the front porch during the summer months, because the birds would make a nest in them.

Not nearly as cool as your stuff with baby birds hatching on your front door, but funny ... The other night hubby, son & were in the front room watching TV before putting son to bed for the evening.

All the windows and front door were open. All of a sudden we hear this loud noise! Something hit the front storm door. When I walked over to the door to see if a someone threw something at our door I was surprised to see a VERY stunned grey dove fly away becasue I startled it when I got to the door. It must have hit the top glass window part of the door. I guess our home looked inviting to the bird that he just wanted to come in and watch TV with us!

I then opened to door to see where it had flown, wanted to check to see if it was ok and as I stepped out I almost put my bare foot right on top of another small bird that was right there in front of the door too!!!

Birds are stange little things!!

I have a greenhouse beside our deck, and I've been leaving the window opened lately. Yester day I noticed a wren flying in and out. She is building a nest in a hanging basket in the green house. Both the male and female are bring in straw and twigs so I don't think there are any eggs yet. I don't want to scare them off or disturb them so I'm staying away except to water the plants. A few years ago another bird did the same thing and we watched the babies get bigger and bigger and when they were ready to fly we watched the mother teach them to fly inside the greenhouse. I hope I get to see this batch do the same thing.

terri

Just a few more pics of the baby birds growth. This is actually the first time I have ever seen birds so small and am enjoying watching them grow. The only bad part is my door is getting messy. I do not look forward to cleaning it after the birds leave the nest

post-27-1151545962_thumb.jpg

post-27-1151546003_thumb.jpg

post-27-1151546028_thumb.jpg