Dioramas in 1/16th scale.

JohnReid

Ya know when aging and weathering hardwoods I found found that the best way to do it is too weather it as it would do naturally,in other words from a polished finish to a dull.In this way you can retain the beauty of the grain as it seemingly ages.The birch floor for example was originally a gloss finish that was dulled using very fine sandpaper for the wear and tear, then chalk pastels representing the build up of crud over the years ,followed by a spray of matte acrylic fixative to hold it all in place.Later more crud can be built up in all the cracks and crevasses

and to create shadows.

Hi John, re reading some here and enjoying again. I've been to your pb albums to find this photo... did you make the stones or buy seperately? If you made them will you tell me what with and how? I want to use the longish stones for siding on a shop building. I don't like the stryene sheets and it would take 4 and make the cost too pricey for me.

thanks much,

LindaC

Well I have decided to add a few more months work to the project.I was originally planning to save a little time by just weathering the exterior of this car but because nothing looks as good as the real thing,wood, I now plan to board it up instead.I have also opened up all the doors both interior and exterior for better camera angle shots of the interior.I will retain the red framed windows and stain the siding about the same green.

On the roof it is presently what looks like a fine sandpaper type surface.Does anyone here know what may have been used on the real thing ? A tar paper or canvas material ?

I could use a cloth backed sandpaper of appropriate grit and just paint it .Any ideas ?

...On the roof it is presently what looks like a fine sandpaper type surface.Does anyone here know what may have been used on the real thing ?...
According to my resident railroad history buff (family members were railroaders from 'way back...) the roof was asphalt-based, so emery paper would substitute very well to give a scale appearance & texture.

Hi ! Go to my photobucket and click on "Backdrops" in the right hand column .Most of the pics there are self-explanatory.If you need more help please let me know. Cheers !

Your 'backdrops' album is where I got that photo :-) what material did you use for long stones? I have looked for tutorials but only told 'it's really easy'. If you don't mind more info would be great.

Thanks much John.

LindaC

Please note:

I have moved all the pictures in my photobucket taken up until now ,from the General Album to the G Scale Trains Album.Moving pics will cause them to delete in the General thread but they are still available on my G scale album for those who may be interested.

Bending stripwood:

Bending wood is simple for a rectangular roof such as this,shipbuilding is another story.I just use plain old warm tap water and soak the area that I want to bend for a few minutes in this case.(The thicker the wood ,the longer the soak) .I then take an old stick type hair curler and put it in a holding devise,I use a clamp. I then let it warm up to hair curling temperature which seems to be just perfect for bending thin strip wood like this.I hold the dry end in one hand and with the other wet end I use a pencil with an eraser on the end and apply increasing amounts of pressure with the eraser until I get what I am looking for.

Why the eraser end ,well it helps as a tool for bending instead of your fingers and tends not to slip on the wet surface.Keep checking that you are getting the proper bend and re-soak and do it again if necessary.You will want to slightly over bend it as there is a certain amount of spring back when the pressure is remove.If the piece of wood you are working with keeps breaking turn it over and try to bend it the other way.Use only straight grained wood running lengthwise on the strip as cross grain simply won't work without breaking.Most hobby woods bend without any problems.I used the thin long type coffee stir stiks used to stir the extra large double doubles.Your local coffee shop manager may sell you a box for a few bucks especially when you tell him what your using them for.He probably built models too in his younger days !

Most stiks and tongue depressors are birch wood ,which is in the hardwood category. So depending on the thickness they will require more soaking time in hotter water than say basswood , popular or pine.Have fun and good luck !

The above is in answer to a question I got from a another modeler.

Hi ! yes they are individually made from heavy watercolor paper,Then cut ,painted and applied with glue to the foamboard.I haven't had a chance recently to add to the backdrops section as I have been busy building.;)

questions?? what paint should be used on the paper? craft paint? Real acrylic paint? Has to be something that will last forever.

If I mix a grey in a glass jar with lid will it be okay if I don't get back to it really soon?

if I mix real mortor for between stones will it be too heavy for the foamcore? maybe thinnish?

What glue is used to secure foamcore to wood?

I've drawn the lines on paper. Would like to paint tonight.

thanks again :wave:

LindaC

Linda, I would use a watercolor wash (more than one color, randomly all over) and use grated chalk pastels sparingly with a small, soft paintbrush for detailing. I've used both tacky glue and wood glue to adhere wood to foamcore, with about equal results. For mortar I'd be tempted to use something like lightweight spackle; if you go with mortar, definitely thin is down. I think I''d seal your "stones" after they're glued onto your wall, before adding the mortar, that way you'll have sealer on the exposed edges of the foamcore, too; and can wipe off the excess mortar with a damp rag without messing up your color on the "stones". I'd most definitely make some samples to play with.

If it's a "super" hold hairspray, give it a try on your sample. I've sealed watercolors and pastels with hairspray, even scrapbook paper I used as dh wallpaper, and it did the same job as the expensive matt aerosol sealer I got at the art supply store.