Does cold air make you sleepy?

grazhina

I hate trying to sleep if it's too hot. And my daughter starts coughing at night if her room gets too warm. I like the ceiling fan on year round. We have layers on our bed so you can kick some off or pull some up if you need. I do notice that the temperature in my bed drops like 20 degrees after my husband gets up in the morning :p As far as getting sleepy when cold yes I do that as well Its called hypothermia B)

• 4 years later...

I have suffered with this since I was in first grade, falling asleep when cold. In fact, I just fell asleep in front of the computer because I was so cold, which is what led me to researching this topic. I moved to Florida fifteen years ago for the heat and still can't stay awake in the winter. It is 60 degrees out and the heat is cranked up to a toasty 72, but I am still freezing. I never made it through high school partially for this reason. I couldn't stay awake in class, and Pennsylvania had some cold winters compared to here. When I am cold, my body and mind shut down. Almost like being hypnotized. I thought I was the only one. Everyone else is perky and in motion. Not me, just prop me up in the chair and let me sleep until spring.

• Like 1

Welcome, IOU! Glad youi found us.

I can't sleep in a room that's too hot. Nor can I work. Where I used to work they'd keep the temp in the winter a little less than 75 F and I was miserable. Lethargic, crabby because there was nothing I could do to cool off, sweating like a pig and ssssoooo sleepy.. I'd rather be cold any day as you can warm up but if you're too hot there isn't much you can do to cool off. To sleep I like a nice chilly room with blankets to kick off or not. I like my cheeks chilly while the rest of me is roasty toasty.

Well, they have the heat on now where I live (we can't adjust the temps here) and my room was 73°. So I now have the window wide open to cool down the room some for when I go to bed.

I am sleepy now, but I'd put that down to the huge meal I ate a couple hours ago though. :D Darn you, Jack in the Box, and those yummy cinnamon donut croissants!

• 1 year later...