• Renaissance/Medieval
    • Pirates and fantasy
    • Haunted Houses
    • Exotic places/travel

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm waiting to vote, like I usually do in case we need a tiebreaker. Although my heart cries out for Exotic Places/Travel, probably because I never get to go anywhere. I can still dream though!

I'd love to participate, but I've never, ever done a swap -- please, explain what I'd need to do, etc. And then I'll vote.

(Yes, I'll admit it, I live under a rock) :D

I'd love to participate, but I've never, ever done a swap -- please, explain what I'd need to do, etc. And then I'll vote.

Here's a brief overview. If I miss something someone else will help us out.

The poll is to give the theme of the swap, once it is closed, a sign up with deadline for sign up, withdrawal, ship out, etc will be posted. If you sign up you will need to make enough of one item (that goes with the theme) for everyone who signed up plus one for the hub. The items are then sent to the hub (the coordinator of the swap, normally Linda for 1/12 and CatColorado for others) who will then take each individual's swap package and make another packages containing the different items to send out to the swap participants.. In other words you would get make the same number of items that you sent, except one (if the hub doesn't participate), but it will contain one from each member who participated.

The item value equals $5 if you had to pay for it. There is also a small charge for shipping and handling. Last few swaps has been $5.

Hope this helps. You can also review the swap rules posted in this forum at the top.

I can't believe I'm still debating on which to vote for heheh - Ok I have a question - how long will the poll be open for voting? So far I think I've come up with and idea for every theme except one and I'm still thinking on it :D

-David

Up until earlier this year, I lived under that same rock!! I've now participated in 2 swaps - February's Spring theme swap - and April's Kitchen theme swap. I've also signed up for the June's Summer theme swap.

Each swap has been such fun making the items. It's also exciting to receive a package in the mail with all of the lovely items that have been made by the other participants. It's such a wonderful way to decorate your dollhouse(s).

Hope you'll join us for August. All of the themes sound fun.

David, you're amazing that you've already come up with 3 ideas!!!! You're way ahead of me.

If it's a pirate theme, can someone make me a Johnny Depp pirate?

-Susanne

I have never done a swap and would love to participate but am afraid whatever I do wont be any good.

(there is my self-consciousness showing).

Just a quick question..what kind of things do you usually make?

what kind of things do you usually make?
Cat or Linda, correct me if I'm wrong, but usually some accessory type of item that you'd expect to pay about $5 for in a mini shop. If you check in the Gallery there are albums of pictures of swap items.

am afraid whatever I do wont be any good

Each and every one of us doing our first few swaps felt exactly the same way, Heidi. This is your opportunity to try out one of those magazine projects you thought: "I bet I could do that!" I participated in last Autumn's swap and the 1/2-scale January toy swap (and I had NEVER made anything in 1:24 scale before).

I'm not participating in any more swaps until after we hit a lull in the road traveling (short trips this year, but LOTS of them).

Ok, you've convinced me. Sounds like fun. Especially if it's Halloween or Medieval... those I can handle...

and it looks like I won't be the only first-timer...what the heck, I'll go for it.

Y'know my rock was comfy... :D

I have never done a swap and would love to participate but am afraid whatever I do wont be any good.

(there is my self-consciousness showing).

Heidi,

You know I feel that way over every swap I join. Yep every time I go through thinking that I've never made the item before and it won't be any good or that others will be disappointed - or that the item I picked to make will be too hard and I won't do it right.

I wish I could remember who summed up swaps this way cause I think of it every time I join one and it really helps! - it was something like .. A swap is a way to try a new project - it's a way to have a learning experience and make enough of them to get comfortable in the lesson learned. So I look at it as an opportunity to try something I've never done before and learn how to do it. See if I make something once I might do it ok but if I do something 5 or 6 (or more times ) in a row then I've Really learned something about how to do it :) Also it helps that the value placed on the items is only $5.00 so I don't have to worry about it being perfect either - so I always try to remind myself of three things -that it's first of all a learning experience and seconly that it's meant to be fun and stress free :) and thirdly that no matter how it comes out (as opposed to how I thought it should have come out) if it would sell in a miniature shop for $5.00 then it's OK :D - and just about Anything would sell for 5$ when it comes to minis :) I'm not sure my thoughts on all this would help anyone else but they sure help get me through swaps :)

David, you're amazing that you've already come up with 3 ideas!!!! You're way ahead of me.

Charlene - I think you'll really enjoy doing swaps once you get started - it's really pretty exciting when you get your box of stuff and open it to find out what everyone made :D - there is just one other rule - and this is once the items are all finished and mailed - when you recieve and open your box don't post what everyone made until everyone else gets their packages too :) that way you don't spill the beans on the surprises inside. :D Oh - and I'm really not amazing - just really self consious. Like I mentioned before I'm always afraid my item won't turn out.. so I NEED a back-up plan - even if I don't really need it.. I still need it just so I'll be able to relax heheh :) David having a panic attack - Not a pretty sight LOL :blink:

-David

Whoa! Y'all been busy today! I kinda just breezed through the posts, so if I repeat something someone else has said, I apologise.

Q. What to make?

A. Anything that fits the theme. People have made dolls, furniture, accessories, garden plots, you name it.

Q. How do you decide what to make?

A. Many people try something new to give themselves an excuse to practice a skill, others will decide using the skills they already possess. It depends on your comfort zone. The theme is designed to give you ideas and if you need more ideas, just ask us.

Q. What's swapping all about?

A. I saw several great answers in this thread already, so I won't repeat. I do urge everyone to read the guidelines at the top of the swap forum regarding swaps. There are alot of do's and don'ts in those posts that everyone should be familar with. We do update those guidelines from time to time, so if you haven't read them in a while you might want to skim through them again.

I'd like to thank all the veteran swappers for welcoming our swappers to be! You guys and gals rock!

Heidiiiii and Charlene -

Please join in. No one was more unsure of herself to enter into a swap than me. I'm a miniature collector, and hadn't even operated a glue gun before I got caught up in the excitement here. Now I've got my glue gun license and holster (Deb did caution me to be sure that my glue gun was cooled off before dropping the little sucker into my holster). With that great tip and word of caution, I dove right in.

Two swaps down, and I've signed up for my third. My major skill is still arranging and gluing, but I've still managed to complete some swaps. Best of all, I've had fun doing it.

For the June swap, I'm venturing out into unchartered waters (for me anyway) and trying out a new skill that I've been wanting to attempt. Hope the supplies that I've ordered arrive soon. I live in Canada and mail-orders take considerably longer than for you guys south of the border.

A word of advice from somebody who is still very new to making my own miniatures: don't stress - it's supposed to be fun - and it is.

Look at the photos in the gallery here of past swaps, and also go into Webshots and Picture Trail and type in miniature swaps. You'll get some great ideas.

-Susanne

Whoops! Missed a question...

Q. How long is the poll open?

A. About a month, or when the voting dies down with a clear winner. I'll announce it a week before I close the poll.

Oh - and I'm really not amazing - just really self consious.

Ok I take that back - I am amazing... amazingly brain dead! I can't believe I did it again but I did - I replied to Charlene instead of Susanne. I mean I meant to reply to Charlene also but yeesh now I'm combining people?? :D This is like the 4th time this week that I've gotten people's names mixed up and for no apparent reason . My only excuse is, it's been a long week. Sorry Susanne,hope you don't think I'm a total space cadet.. though I have to admit this week I'm sort of wondering about that myself :blink: . Dave needs a vacation. .. a nice mini vacation :) Or maybe I'm suffering from Mini-withdrawls. I haven't gotten to work on any of my minis since I finished the last swap items. See? it just goes to show - Stress is bad for the brain and minis are good for combatting stress.

again, sorry about that.

David

:D:blink::) David

I always do that! My kids arent chelsea and natalie.. It is ch-natalie. They keep calling me on it, and I keep doing it.

I am the youngest of 4 and my mom went down the line till she got me right!

Ok I take that back - I am amazing... amazingly brain dead! I can't believe I did it again but I did - I replied to Charlene instead of Susanne. I mean I meant to reply to Charlene also but yeesh now I'm combining people?? :D This is like the 4th time this week that I've gotten people's names mixed up and for no apparent reason . My only excuse is, it's been a long week. Sorry Susanne,hope you don't think I'm a total space cadet.. though I have to admit this week I'm sort of wondering about that myself :blink: . Dave needs a vacation. .. a nice mini vacation :) Or maybe I'm suffering from Mini-withdrawls. I haven't gotten to work on any of my minis since I finished the last swap items. See? it just goes to show - Stress is bad for the brain and minis are good for combatting stress.

again, sorry about that.

David

It's OK David -- the S & C names have sorta the same sound....Susanne, Charlene... :) (At least you know the names -- I generally call everyone "Hon" so I don't have to remember who they are :) )

rotflmbo! What''s sad is that I STILL do it to my kids (call names until I finally say, "or whichever one you are") who are in their 30s! David, my dear, you are far too young for "senior moments".