Another Victoria's Farmhouse Thread

Jon Foster

Santa was good enough to bring our youngest daughter a new Victoria's Farmhouse kit for Christmas. It's one of the milled MDF kits... We opened it up the day after Christmas and checked it out. Wow, what a nice kit! The material and quality of the machining is excellent. I've been out of the dollhouse scene for a while so this was a nice surprise.

On the first day we assembled the base. The next evening we sealed the bottom of the base with some urethane we had. Then we put together the first floor walls and middle floor. Tonight we assembled the second floor walls and the top floor.

So far all I can say is the kit is excellent to work with. Everything fits perfectly and everything has gone together with ease. The layout is really nice too. It offers lots of possibilities for customization which our daughter loves. It's a pretty fair size as well with 8 rooms. I have no idea where this thing will go! I guess the old dollhouse will have to go now...

Jon.

...I guess the old dollhouse will have to go now...

Jon.

Why? I can play with more than one dollhouse at a time! If you MUST get rid of the old one, why not offer it in the trading post and see if one of our members has the room and desire to rehab it?

Welcome to the forum Jon! And congrats to your daughter on her new dollhouse. Victoria's Farmhouse is a beauty, and does have plenty of room. I have one I bought already assembled, and like you said it is big, and HEAVY! I can't move it by myself, so it's just hanging out downstairs in the extra room waiting its turn to be decorated inside.

Please post pictures of your progress, we love to see pictures!

Have fun!

Once you've made five posts you can make an album to show all your building pictures (for the edification of anyone wanting to build this particular kit) as well as the finished product. Also, when you have a minute, you can pop in at the Newcomers' Forum and introduce yourself and the rest of your family to the Forum family.

You will really enjoy doing this house! I just finished one a couple of months ago and love it. It went together like a dream, with only 2 problems in the fit.

The first one was with the addition that sticks out on the left side and is hinged. We tried it with the hinges (the only time I had to ask DH for help with the build) and it just didn't fit flush enough to suit me. We finally just glued it on and it looks much better that way.

The second one was the windows on the bay. I still don't know what happened there. I may have put it together wrong, but I don't think so. Anyway the wall under the windows was about 1/4 inch too small. I just took a rasp and filed it down, and once the windows were in and the trim on, it looked perfect.

here is a link to an outstanding step by step tutorial on building it;

http://gr123.powweb.com/Dollhouse%20Workshop/1065.html

And mine is in my gallery if you'd like to look. To my knowledge, it's one of the only two completed VF's on the web. Have fun with it and don't hesitate to ask questions!

We worked on the house for a few minutes last night before some friends called us to go visit them for a New Year's eve get together.

I'll get some pictures posted to one of my online galleries shorty. We've taken several now so we should have enough to make it worth getting them posted etc.

As it sits right now, all the outer walls and floors are assembled except the hinged side access. We'll try to get the roof sections lined and installed today. After that our daughter will need to do some thinking and planning. She was talking about dividing a room to make a bathroom and possibly cutting a couple of new windows. There's a thought of adding small gable windows too but we'll see how that works out... She has also decided on new outside doors with oval glass. And, she's thinking about adding doors to the inside as well.

One of my thoughts is to take the base/foundation off and move it back so we can add a JigStones foundation. I have several buildings made from JigStones for our backyard train layout. They are heavy but very cool looking.

Jon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Sorry for the lack of activity. We have been working on a 1:1 store for the last 4 months and the doll house hasn't seen much progress. We should be cleaning everything up and getting back to working on it soon.

Jon.