What is going too far?

doogster

I think I've gone over the edge. I just ordered a rotary table for my mill. OMG, I have a mill! I'm thinking I can cut perfect curved parts now. And then relief cuts.

Actually it's a good buy. These things usually go for 300 to 500 bucks, Grizzly was clearancing their 3" tables for 79 bones, plus shipping, less than a C-note in all.

But I think, while I try really hard not to, I am tool obsessed. Am I addicted to tools? In the past year I bought a milling machine, precision lathe, drill press, grinder with pedestal, starter kit for the lathe, starter kit for the mill, End mills, end mill holder, precision vise, lathe cutters, and now the rotary table.

Am I going too far? and if so, WHO WANTS TA JOIN ME????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :( :lol: :o :):unsure: :lol: ;)

Who else has taken the plunge off the edge? Any edge. Yeah you've got 20 kits, but you NEED at least 20 others! Yeah, this Dremmel'll work, but this one is way cooler! The windows in this kit will do, but the upgrade kit is essential!

Speak, or shout, out. We've lost it, and proud of it!

What edge? There was an edge?? Did we go over it when I wasn't looking??? And I left the parachute in my other jacket. :unsure:

Congrats on the rotary table! And that's an excellent deal on it too. Honestly, there is never such a thing as too many power tools. The more power..........the more tools...........the more you can do with your craft. Personal growth thru power tools! What a concept! Isnt' this just the greatest hobby ever!

<raising my jigsaw high and shouting> Expand your talents and embrace your power tools!!!! (Just turn them off first. Hugging a running saw can be painful.)

Deb

oohhh nooooo not us!

we have not lost our heads over any of this

it is perfectly reasonable to have 2 o5 kids of glue 2 bottles or more of each one.

and paint brushes need to be replinished...right?

it really is nessecary to have no less than 40 of all types

paint...hey now dont look at my 150 paint bottle storage thingie...yes I know its almost full.

I dont have your big tools doogster but I do know what it feels like to look around at all my lovely "tools"

I also have 2 dremels and 2 hot glue guns oh and a case with all these little doodads for my dremels

do I feel Ive gone over board.....nope its all needed to make the good stuff!

I do have mini lathe that I have not a clue about and admittidly dont wanna.

but I envy your tools but I envy the knowledge of the use of them!

have fun!

nutti :unsure:

Well I read your post and thought how silly it was to go overboard. Then thought about it. Then went and put the tools I've bought solely because of the dollhouse. (I've only got ONE.Dollhouse that is) in a pile.

Then went "Oh Dear!!!!!!!! :unsure:

Only tool I still realy intend to get when I find one suitable is a compound table to set the router over.

Check out the new cordless dremel Now thats CCOOOLLL!!!!

(name and address withheld.)

post-265-1148469436_thumb.jpg

ROFL nuttie.. I have the paint carousel too.(and it is full) I thought I had every color green but look they have another shade...must buy 4 of them!

My paint addiction started way b4 I started on dh.

Need a paint brush? Any style? Any size? Synthetic? Boar`s Hair? Come to Heidi`s crazy craft barn and you will find anything your lil heart desires..

Need ribbon? got it..

Need Fabric? Check out my stash?

Beads?

Clay?

Paper?

Got it got it and got it..

My dh must really love me!

I am planning on taking over Nat`s bedroom closet (she doesnt use it) and putting in shelves to put all of my lovely things in.

You know those little tubes of paint? Well I have over 100 in my work cabinet and you know, I never have the shade I am looking for so I still buy more every time I got to Micheals or Walmart :unsure: . So it's not just dollhouses (Shhhhhh I started again with the doll obsession again too). It's Paint!! :lol:

You need tools after all! On my wish list, I still need a better lathe and a mill for minis, but I have 2 small table saws, a mini and a small regular band saw, 3 different dremels with almost every attachment that fits any of them, router, full workshop of regular size woodworking tools, woodburning tools, I love to collect clamps of different types and sizes, and if I find a strange jig that will work with minis I get it. Cute little tools are my downfall. I don't know how many different sizes and shapes of little files that I have. You don't know when they may come in handy! Hardware tool departments are my favorite shopping area. I even bought a kiln for miniatures because it opens a whole new area (and it was a very good price!).

3 different dremels with almost every attachment that fits any of them

Actually one of my 3 is a B&D RDX, but I also have a Dremel sander. DH & I have a bandsaw, lathe (he hasn't made anything on it yet, but I turn table legs on it), scroll saw (he hasn't used it yet, I'm on my third blade :huh: ), belt & disc sander (lovely!), table saw (he cuts stock for me with it)... I personally don't think you can have too many hand tools, and DH reminds me I can't have too many clamps :blink: .

Michael's has a terrific variety pack of paintbrushes for less than US$5. Clay...

Dollhouse miniaturists are artists. We need whatever tools assist us in creating.

Do you think Michaelangelo ever wondered if he had too many paints? Or if he had too much scaffolding .... don't think so.

-Susanne

Do you think Michaelangelo ever wondered if he had too many paints? Or if he had too much scaffolding .... don't think so.

I bet he did not worry but I bet his friends and family thought he was crazy even though he was the opposite (He was a Genius) :blink:

I don't think we could ever go too far with our hobbies. Having it all enables us to be more creative.

-Susanne

I bet he did not worry but I bet his friends and family thought he was crazy even though he was the opposite (He was a Genius) :blink:

I read somewhere there's a fine line between insanity & genius, I wonder if it has anything to do with serotonin levels in the brain?

There is speculation that Michaelangelo had Apsergers syndrome.

I don't think we could ever go too far with our hobbies. Having it all enables us to be more creative.

There is speculation that Michaelangelo had Apsergers syndrome.

What's apsergers syndrome?

I think I'm kind of obsessive compulsive, but then I think most artistic people are. I think it's what drives us to create.

-Susanne

Aspergers is a form of autism. One of the traits is being highly talented and single minded in a specific area like art. People with aspergers usually test within a normal IQ range, but have a higher IQ than test indicated. Some links that can explain it better than I can.

http://www.webmd.com/hw/mental_health/zq10...sp?pagenumber=1

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/asperger/asperger.htm

I am not saying anyone in here is off kilter.. :blink:

I believe it could be true that people with mental disorders (add, adhd, bipolar, depression, etc, etc) do have a higher level of artistic ability. Take Eugene O`Neill? (Long days journey into night was based in my city, his house is a museum), Hemingway, Van Gogh. Hey, I am from a family with mental illness and my father was an artist and so am i and my brothers.

OMG! Did I just classify myself as an artist? Yup, i did.

I'm one of those people who thinks posthumous diagnosis, especially of mental health issues, is a guessing game at best. In fact most health care professionals will say the same thing.

I am not saying anyone in here is off kilter

Hey, I'll say I am because I know my thinking process is different from some people I hang around. I process things differently and it doesn't mean a thing because it's what makes me ME :huh: . I have a problem that I like to change colors around me (Like walls and comforters in the bedroom, curtains LOL) not big furniture like couches.

Anyway, today, I almost bought a comforter set I have been eyeing for 4 months at Target. I LOVE it. Last year I bought 5 comforter sets (For my bedroom not including the kids) so I had to talkmyself out of this. But I am stuck thinking about it! Uugghhh!! I know hubby will have a fit if he comes home and the bedroom is a different color again (We have nowhere to store these things either :blink:) .

My mother is the same way and is SO talented and artistic. She is not happy unless she is changing something. This time of year is great for her cause she plays in the garden and leaves the house alone (Kinda sorta LOL).

I did NOT buy the comforter. It was so hard to walk away from it though!! I went to the bank and put the money in my savings! That is the only way I won't spend it (I hate taking money out of the savings another peeve of mine :huh: ) does that mean I am crazy? :lol:

Am I going too far? and if so, WHO WANTS TA JOIN ME????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:blink::huh::huh:

Nooooo not at alllllll :lol:

What is going too far? I'll let you know when i reach that point! ;) :(

(We have nowhere to store these things either ) .
Ah, but you will (sorry, I'm being a bad influence...).

does that mean I am crazy?

DDIL & I had a discussion along these lines (she's a clinical psychologist) and we decided "functional" & "disfunctional" are far more accurate distinctions. We miniaturists are by no means "mainstream", but we are, for the most part, functional.

I process things differently and it doesn't mean a thing because it's what makes me ME

Precisely my point.

Ah, but you will (sorry, I'm being a bad influence...).

Holly, you are supposed to be Helping Me here :huh:

I have been buying 1 curatin panel of the same design each time I go to Traget (Thank goodness I don't go there often) So now I have enough (6) so I KNOW I am gonna get the comforter. It's just waiting till it goes on sale that's killing me. Over the winter they had a denim one that I wanted. Well, I waited 5 months and got the quilt for $20 (King size) and the comforter for $10 and some sheets for $6.

I am the same way with dollhouses! I buy dollhouse wallpaper and carpets but I do not have wallpaper or carpets in my dollhouses :blink: . I guess I like Textiles :huh:

I buy dollhouse wallpaper and carpets but I do not have wallpaper or carpets in my dollhouses

Curtains. I have to force myself to make dollhouse curtains, and I'm fairly indifferent to them (except for privacy) in the 1:1 house. Since our house is so tiny, having more than three sets of bed or bath linens is out of the question.

Holly, THAT"S the problem! We have no space either so I have been really trying to be good about this :lol: Maybe I'll be like Linda and have my own special house to house my dollhouses and things I like :p

As we don't have any children, I've got the closets in the other 2-bedrooms to use. One doubles as an extra linen closet. I, too, love fabrics. Bedspreads, sheets, towels, tablecloths .....

Ray and I once were looking at another pre-owned house that we had considered purchasing. The lady had done a wonderful job of outfitting her basement with separate storage rooms, each complete with shelving units. It was really well done. It was a bungalow (about 1600 square feet), so it was a nice-sized basement. I didn't like that it backed onto a fairly busy street though.

Our house is a 1200 sq. ft. bungalow so we've got a fair amount of space. Best part is that we're located in a nice quiet cul-de-sac.

-Susanne

We like this neighbourhood too, it's a quiet road, and people drive sensibly as there are a lot of kids around. Oce we square away the basement We'll be able to store the kits down there, I'm just a procrastinator, hey it's only been about 15 months. Plus I'd like to set up the shop with the afore mentioned bench tools. I've stayed away from Harbor Freight for awhile thanks to all the roadwork between here and there. So no spending on toys recently, except accessories, like the started sets and rotary table. But if you have the tools you need the accessories.