Greenleaf Shingles

Brezavaqt

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but this is my very first Greenleaf DH build...the tabs and slots are all so new to me, but I'm getting the hang of them! I now have another challenge...the shingles!!! I'm building The Arthur and can't seem to break away the shingles from the sheet in which they are attached, without breaking 5 or 6. Does anyone have any suggestions??? Before I end up purchasing another bag of shingles? LOL...

Bre

I used a utility knife to cut my shingles apart, but I stained them first, then cut apart. I wanted to separate each shingle so when I put them on the house, there was a good variation of color. Not sure if your shingles are exactly like I had, they were very thin.

Cindy-

Thanks so much for the advice-about using the utility knife and dying them first!!! Yes, they are VERY thin-almost like paper...but I am going to definitely try your method!! Mini huggs for the suggestions!!

Bre

I also use the dye first and then cut them with the utility knife if they won't just snap apart with bending at the die line, which mine usually do, nicely. I leave them in the long strips as much as possible to glue to the roof.

I always just bend mines one way and then the other and the a complete strip breaks off.

Sometimes, though, Ive had kits where the shingles sheets have been very brittle and difficult to take off without breaking all of them. Its like the die didnt go all the way through or something. Thats why I usually buy a bag of shingles if I get a kit with stubborn shingle sheets.

I am using the Orchid shingles on a puzzle house ( shhhhh don't tell anyone)...They keep breaking and I was wondering if you paint them after they are on the roof will they all warp?

I want to buy thicker ones for the Orchid.

• 1 month later...

Okay...I'm back on the shingle issue!! I dyed them and they look great. But what do you all use to adhere them to the roof? The wood glue was making them curl (they are REALLY thin) and they weren't sticking. The Ultimate worked, but I had to hold a single shingle in place for fabout 5 mins. It''ll take me a year to shingle one roof!! LOL...

I'm going to post pics tonight of my progress...My work computer crashed my thumb drive with my pics on it. :)

Just not a good day today...

I'm all ears (or eyes) if anyone has some suggestions!

Bre

I'm no help, I use wood glue and let 'em curl; they straighten out when they're dry. I use masking tape to hold them in place until they're dry and every so mini rows I take a piece of srapwood from the kit and clamp it down across the rows of shingles to help hold them in place. I'm one of those wierd miniaturists who enjoys shingling, it's sort of a Zen thing.

I'm no help, I use wood glue and let 'em curl; they straighten out when they're dry. I use masking tape to hold them in place until they're dry and every so mini rows I take a piece of srapwood from the kit and clamp it down across the rows of shingles to help hold them in place. I'm one of those wierd miniaturists who enjoys shingling, it's sort of a Zen thing.

LOL, Holly, that you could have been me you described there...

Hugs

Thanks Holly. I'm going to try that...tonight.

Since you are a Master Builder, can you please give me some advice on my windows? I'm ready to scrap them and attempt to buy new ones. I used hot glue to attach the wood trim to the plastic window pane and that seeemed to work-after I placed books on top to weigh them down. Now, I can't seem to get the windows to stick to the wallpaper. What am I doing wrong?? (Oh, I guess I should tell you that I failed to glue the window panes on the house before the outside trim, so now I'm attempting to glue them from the inside with the inside trim.)

My poor Arthur has gone through some things.

This is my first Greenleaf DH and it's been quite the challenge. But, I must admit that the little pieces have made the dollhouse so CUTE!!

Since you are a Master Builder, can you please give me some advice on my windows?
OK, Sabrina, if you read over the instructions (or maybe it's the Warm-Up sheet), nowhere does it tell you to use hot glue on the windows; besides melting the clear acetate inserts that make up the windowpanes, it is just overall nasty stuff and I say a little prayer for Dean's grandpa every time I see the instructions suggesting to use it to put the wooden parts of the kit together. Of course, as I have said mini times, I'm somewhat simple-minded (as well as terribly clumsy where hot things are concerned), so I use WOOD GLUE (the yellowish-tan stuff) to attach wood pieces to other wood pieces. For the clear acetate I use a sparing bead of tacky glue that dries clear; Elmer's all-purpose white glue is my tacky glue of choice, but any that will stick clear acetate to the wood frame will work. Something I do before attaching windows is after I wallpaper & it dries completely, after I cut out the window & door openings I go back about 1/8" from the opening and trim away the paper there. I use wood glue to attach trims to walls.

Some of my building blogs tell how mini times I ripped something out or apart before getting it the way it wanted to be, and I still do, so it's OK to feel like throwing things away (just try not to).

Hi Holly-

Yes...I read the warm-up sheet and it did say do not use hot glue...........BUT, somewhere in the forum someone told me to use it!! LOL...Oh well, it didn't hurt them and they actually stuck to the wood...for a minute. I'm going to try your tacky glue choice and see if that works.

Thanks a million!!!

Bre :)

Hi Bre~

thanks for the compliments on my Arthur. I haven't been dh-ing due to other things going on....but that orchid has been staring me in the face everyday believe you me!

Anyways, when I shingled the Arthur, I made templates out of grocery bags (brown wrapping paper) and then made lines where I wanted each top of the shingle to be. I used good 'ol Aileens in a small line and went down the line placing the shingles on. Then when it was dry I took my exacto and scissors and cut the shingles to conform to the template. After being sure all the shingles flowed together I glued the templates down. I had a lot of trouble with them breaking when I was trying to cut them individually. Roxxie-I painted them while the glue was drying...they warped and then went back into shape...

I won't lie shingling was my most UNFAVORITE thing to do!

As for the windows...tee hee...I did something HORRIBLE to get it right (well 'right' is obviously an oxymororn in that sentence)....I glued the panes on the inside, then I glued my trim to my wallpaper templates!!! Then tacked the templates to the wall !ha ha~ I figure if it ever gets changed (unlikely) the person can cut/peel the trim away from the templates...!

S

I must be crazy, I enjoy shingling. Since Tracy mentioned it, I use Titebond for all wood stuff & love it. For the shingles, I bend them and if they don't come apart easily, take a scissors to them Just put a little bit of glue at the top of each shingle. With this glue, you don't have to clamp. Sure do miss hot glue though, it went up faster than I can eat a piece of cake.

somewhere in the forum someone told me to use it!!
Not on the clear acetate for the windows! Maybe for shingles, or in spots to hold edges together whilst the wood glue dries (I use heavy-duty staples for that job!)