model railroaders

My son has become more interested in a more "grown up" train set, so I'm looking at my husband's old HO set and some trains, tracks and buildings I got from a local thrift store. He can't really do much with it now, but I'd like to start getting things ready for when he's older.

There are several little plastic buildings. Some of them have been glued together and some not. Some have been painted a bit, but messily and I'd like to remove that paint and start over. I've looked online and found several sites with suggestions on how to put models together and decorate them, but many of them contradict each other as to glue type or the right paint to use etc. Also, I'd like to know how to remove the old yellowed glue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!!

Wendy

We did an HO train layout for my sons years ago. It was huge fun building mountains, lakes, buildings,etc! I used plain old testor's model glue on the buildings, and they were still holding together last time I packed them away for a move. We really had fun with that stuff. Maybe that was the mini-maker in me calling for dollhouses, 20 years ago!

I think Doogster/Andrew has given great advice earlier when it comes to those glue questions, you could always try and send him a PM?!?

Hugs

Thanks for the advice!

Hadn't thought about the possibility of melting the plastic- that would be such a disappointment. And I remember Testors stuff from my brother's model car building days. It was stinky, but worked so well.

I'll go pester Doogster with questions now :blink:

My Dad and I have a ongoing HO layout. I hate to ever call it done. Just like a doll house it will never be done :blink:

While most of the building are made of wood. The ones that are made of plastic are cemented with Testers (orange tube). Dont use the nontoxic stuff (blue tube) it is horrible. I also paint the inner walls black. This block light from shining through the plastic. very helpful if you plan to light the buildings.

Oh no! I just picked up some of the blue/nontoxic glue today! Why is the orange better?

And, can I paint them with a primer and then use acrylic paint on them, or do I have to go buy model enamel?

Forget the stuff in a tube for kits. Ambroid or Tenax, as directed on the bottle. Plastic solvent, it welds the pieces together. Testors liquid has it's uses too, but it's a pain to use, I only use it for laminating multiple pieces, you get full contact adhesion. I use the tube stuff VERY seldom. Only time I recall recently (as in about 5 years ago) was for the relieve detailing on the intake cone of the Betty I scratch built, it holds very well. I used the Testors liquid to laminate plastic rod for the thrust pod arms. Mostly Ambroid. The Time Machine has been built, to this point, with Tenax, cause it's what I could get and it's the same as Ambroid.

You can get tips to fit the Testor's cement tubes for more precise control. The red/ orange tube Testor's is a solvent glue that actually melts the plastic so that two edges will fuse together. I wouldn't use the stuff in the blue tube, either.

Hi Just asked my son he builds models and has a h-o scale train he says the orange tube, he never uses the blue tube.

Also said to use paint thinner to remove paint but this time less is better says to use very little on a rag....and to dab at it takes a while but you can remove it......Cayrol

My bottom line, you CANNOT get enough control over ANY tube glue. Methylene chloride and a micro brush. You will NEVER look back. You will be saying tube glue is for kids forever more.

I use regular white tacky glue to glue foamcore. You can also use dressmakers' steel straight pins to reinforce your corner joins. Solvent adhesives are for polystyrene plastics such as the Chrysnbon kits are made from.

I've glued foamcore to foamcore at right angles, mitered & butted joints, with good ol' white Elmer's all-purpose glue (no dressmakers' pins) and they haven't budged. I've used wood glue to glue stripwood to the foam edge of foamcore, and it's holding, too.

I checked a bunch of MSDS's and almost all those glues, including carpenter's glues are PVA. Weld Bond, Aleene's, Tite Bond etc. Some have treatments to make them stickier, some dry faster, that seems to be the main difference.

For stuff like landscaping I'd do rough shaping before gluing. I made a model of the USS Voyager from Star Trek Voyager out of styrofoam (the insulation) and laminated 2 or 3 pieces for the saucer end with no shaping other than the basic shape from the top. Once I started to try to shape the piece I found the glue had only dried to about an inch in from the edge. I was severely budget constrained back then and shaped the whole thing with sand paper. Now I'd use a hotwire, but I'd rough out the shape in all dimensions before gluing.

BTW, I used Weld Bond, now I'd use Tite Bond, stickier and shorter drying time.

Glad to know about Tite Bond! I used the glue to "plant" foliage & flowers and to adhere ground cover, hadn't tried laminating pieces of styrofoam together. Shaping styrofoam with sandpaper sounds like a marvelous way to produce a simulated snowstorm!