Shout out to Beacon Hill builders!

WyckedWood

Karin what about using Sharpie pens? would they work on real glass? you could trace any pattern you wanted :)

Hmmmmmm writing that down in my book.... good idea Linda :p

Or....i'm sure someone on here used real lead...i think the sort you weight golf clubs with? or something to do with golf :)

Ive heard someone mention golf tape,I dont know what that is though. I just liked the white stripe with this house rather than the black. I tried putting the plastic sheet with the pinstriping on it,behind the glass(sandwiched together)....but that wasnt so hot.

Several years ago I went to a little artists' workday where people demonstrated all sorts of projects and you could do a demo with them for the cost of the materials. Anyway, one of the ones I did was glass etching and it was so easy. You don't get the dark white color- more of a frosted glass look- but all it takes is a bottle of etching solution, a paint brush, and tape. That might be worth a try to get the look you want. I'm loving the glass idea- can it be used instead of the plastic in houseworks windows?

Karin- you are my new favorite person! I just looked up Earth and Tree's website, and their shop is 45 minutes from my house! And in sales tax free New Hampshire, too :rofl: I drive up that way all the time when my daughter is fighting her nap (the car puts her to sleep in seconds) because it's such a pretty drive. Hooray for a new shop to visit- this may be the first time I was looking forward to my little one getting cranky!

Well youre extremely lucky Nicole, that is a very special shop. Have a look at their Glencliff kit :rofl: Id love to etch my own glass,its finding small enough stencils (that I would want on this house)that is the problem. Wow I cant believe you get to go to Earth and Tree! Have fun!!

Thanks again for the tip about Earth and Tree. I went there the other day and they were having an unbelievable sale! I got couches, chairs, dressers, sinks- under $100 for the whole purchase. I even got a 1920's stove for $1! My house is pre-1920's so I don't even know what I'm going to do with it, but how could I pass that up? The only thing I didn't actually buy was glass for my windows. Oops.

I would love to see that Glencliff in person. Wonder if anyone on the forum has one.

Anyways,glad to hear you made such a great score Nicole!

I just picked up my glass from the glass cutters,I provided the glass and they didnt even charge me to cut it! Sweet! Now I just have to decide if Im going to etch it before putting the windows together. Im working on interior door trim today and still trying to get the paint shades right on the plaster. Ilove the trim I got from HBS,love it, love it,its the wider trim with grooves and I have the little square blocks in the upper corners,it looks really neat. Now to age it and crackle it :D

Tracy,I cant wait to see what you have in mind for the BH!

Oh, sorry- here's a picture. It's kind of hard to see, but the stove is in the back, and the couch and chaise lounge are the ones reproduced from Abraham Lincoln's house. Some of the pieces have missing knobs/faucets, but most are in great condition. There are 17 pieces all together, so I guess I averaged about $5 a piece. Now if only I had a house ready to put them in...

post-4328-1242919685_thumb.jpg

Edited by nicolechip

I have a technical question.....Im placing crown molding and wondering if anyone else did crown molding on that section of wall just in front of the stair well? It looks odd cause theres no molding around the stair well,so the trim just stops...Im not sure what is realistic there. What did everyone else do? Ill probably end up putting some small molding around the stair well cut out too.

This is the section Im speaking of.

Ya Ive thought of that too Holly,I continued plaster up that whole wall after struggling about whether or not to do 3 different wallpapers. If I had done the 3 wallpapers I would def. continue the crown straight across for definition.

OK,that roof almost killed me,my hands are numb with pain! I eventually ended up soaking the mansard panels in water and bending them myself before guing them down....what a nightmare that was.....

Just curious, those of you who had trouble with the roof, are you using an older kit or a newer kit? I just ordered mine last month and the roof panels apparently are redesigned. They are on a super thin wood, almost like a veneer with a cardboard-like backing. The pieces have been re-numbered and there was an addendum to the parts sheet. Is this what you used, or are your roof panels the old type, which I think are cut from the regular 1/8 inch wood?

Ya,mine are the old ones! Im glad you mentioned this Nicole cause I was wondering if they were making them thinner now. Im glad to know that they are and you shouldnt have as hard of a time.

Holly I was going crazy trying to find big rubberbands but couldnt find any,coffee cans would have worked great too...live and learn! I just scored the back a little bit with a craft knife and prayed that the panels wouldnt bust in half while I bent them.

Mine were the new ones, I am really glad cause after that staircase I might have set fire to the whole #$##$%* thing if the roof had given me trouble too :blink: . My BH is sulking in the spare room right now because I was working on the fling and the brookwood..... might be time to let her back out.

i had trouble too with the roof....there were a few harsh words and lots of 'walking away' :blink:

some places clamps just dont fit!!!

If the new kits have an easier version to work with Bravo!!!! I think the roof was the most frustrating part of the build

I love this house dont get me wrong...I went ahead and made the tower top when I finished the roof,so I would get all the pain over with in one day.....and I love it really,the whole shape and its very special,BUT....it just goes on and on and on....I need to see some light at the end of the tunnel! I cant believe people are finishing this house in a matter of a few weeks,I dont see finishing before the end of July and Ive been working on it since April. Not to mention everything Ive ordered from HBS has taken weeks to arrive,its a week after I place my order that they even confirm that they GOT the order,then several more days until they ship it. In hindsight,when and if I do another big house,it wont have paperclay interior walls:)That may be one reason its taking so long;)

Finishing in a matter of weeks???!!! Holey Moley! I just get weak knee-d looking at the box under the sideboard! I did finish the baby BH in two days!

I am thinking of just taking a day to number the pieces (I like to pencil them directly on each piece when I start a GL house). Until I can find a spot to shove the Lincoln over to, there is no place to work on the BH.

I ordered the HBS Leesline 'Charleston' chair with the plan for it to go into one of the upper rooms or tower (I'd like to leave that open).

do I have to seal each piece with shellac like the instructions say? I really don't want to do that. Please tell me quicker, less stinky ways. With my westville and glencroft, I just used primer as I put areas together...before the real paint or wallpaper went on.