Getting bargains

calicocow

Happy, happy, joy, joy *does happy little dance*! If you have a Hobby Lobby near you, be sure and check them out right now. The stores around here and clearing out a lot of the minis and dollhouse items right now. I got some wonderful bargains. Most of what I've bought is 50-75% off. I talked to one store employee and she said that they store had cleared out all of the dollhouse display models and sold them very cheaply. I missed out on all of those :D . I did get a Bayberry kit for $42 that is missing one little piece of window molding. Also, 2 really nice bedroom sets that were marked $39.99 for $13, and a dollhouse transformer for $2.21.

Yesterday, my hubby wanted to check out a hobby shop and dragged me in with him (he is into model trains). They had all of their dollhouse stuff on 75% off. They are eliminating their dollhouses, the woman there said, because they don't sell well. I picked up a Pierce for $43 and change. I am sorely tempted to go back and get the rest of what they had, but hubby and I refinanced the house and paid off all our credit cards last winter and I hate to drag one out and start that vicious cycle all over again :D:unsure: .

I had to share my bargain hunting finds with y'all! I may never see a clean dining room table again! :blink:

Congrats on your deals!!!! I wish we had a Hobby Lobby in Utah.....sigh... When i lived in Texas, i went usually every weekend to at least browse thru stuff. The HL's that I went to had dollhouses and stuff but at that point I just glanced at the stuff and thought "someday i'll do a house"....little did i know how obsessed i'd become....just think of all the fun stuff i could have purchased.... :lol:

I have a Hobby Lobby not far from me (Actually 3 in a 15 mile radius) All three always look like hordes of miniaturists went through and bought everything. What I think is happening is they are not stocking enough dollhouse stuff now. I am hoping that they don't get rid of the dollhouse isle! I remember when Michaels & Franks Nursery used to carry dollhouse stuf and they they sold them all off (Models too). So far, models are still up at 2 of the Hobby Lobby's by me. I have not been to the one in Illinois latly though :lol: . Maybe I should check there too.

It will be sad if they stopped selling the dollhouse line. :lol:

There's a HL about 45 miles from me, but like Tracy, everytime I go it looks like everything has been picked over and there is not much left. I try to go everytime they have 50% off sale, but they never have any transformers or electrical stuff, and very little flooring. But I have been able to pick up accessories. I too hope they don't stop carrying the dollhouses.

Peggi, mine have nothing but wallpaper & electrical stuff (lights & all) accessories are out of the question though :lol: . There is never a good selection of them! I wonder what are there plans. I go there on Monday mornings and try stock up days and it still always look empty. Maybe we should all start sending them emails to let them know we are shoppers who love minis and let them know that we noticed they are slacking!

I know years ago Menards (like a lowes or home depot) used to sell dura craft dollhouses. Well when they discontinued the heritage, lindfield and newberg and came out with the MDF line, they did not like it so they discontinued carrying all miniatures :D I was SO sad about that!

I don't like "change" too much when my minis are at stake :lol:

I live in Fort Worth and they just opened another new Hobby Lobby close by. I noticed last week that they moved their minis to a corner of the store and the stock was really low. I asked the clerk if they were doing away with minis and she said she didn't think so that things were on sale so they could bring in new stock. Guess I should have asked her if the "new" stock included minis. I hope they don't stop carrying minis, but if they do, we all have the internet.

It's the same with my hobby lobby too here in NC. There doesn't seem to be any new stock anymore, and they sold a lot of the dura-craft houses out. There also seems to be other things moving into the aisle as the mini stock dwindles.

<nodding in agreement> Same thing is going on in the Hobby Lobby's here in Denver. And my best friend says the same thing is going on in the one she goes to in Dodge City. I agree with Tracy. We should write to them and let them know that the mini world is large and we believe in conspicuous consumption when it comes to our minis!!

Deb

We were attending a family reunion this weekend in a small town just east of Albany, GA, so of course I printed off the coupon & we went to Hobby Lobby after his 5K race Saturday AM.

dancer008.gifdancer008.gifdancer008.gif

Oh, JOY!!! They have restocked their minis! Still no Greenleaf, but the mini aisle is alive & well! The store did have a major clearance going on, and DH & I went beserk!

Closest one to me looks like Virginia! Ummm! I dont think I am going to travel that far for a deal! The gas alone would kill me... :lol:

AC Moore hasnt restocked the staircase I want for the dh.. I need to put a big in the manager`s ear!

I think it would be rough on us all if the big chains quit handling dollhouse stuff! We can always internet shop, but I am the type of person who loves to get their hands on things and actually see them before buying. Plus, those % off coupons have helped me buy most of the big items I've needed.

I am all for a letter writing campaign! :lol:

Thanks for the link Tracy. I just voted. Sure hope it helps! Since Micheals quit carrying much and the only store closest to me is in Dallas (a 60 mi. trip for me), I have really counted on Hobby Lobby. I do shop the internet, but also prefer to "handle" the merchandise first.

That is something I also mentioned to them. They are my only store in my area that carries miniatures and I also mentioned that the pickings has been slim latly and that I am hoping that they add more items because they used to be very well stocked.

Let's see what happens. If enough of us complete the survey and mention the mini section, we just might be heard.

:lol:

Thanks for the link Tracy. I filled one out for my area and like you ask that they continue carrying miniatures and assured them that there was a market for them.

That is the thing that I feel we need to help them see. We need to help them to understand we ARE here with dollars to spend. They used to have a online store too. The only thing is that you could not use a coupon online.

:lol:

Thanks for the link Tracy. I added my wishes that they would build up their mini departments again. I hope that they'll listen to us.

Deb

I got a response to my survey from Hobby Lobby. Here is a copy of their response.

Thank you for shopping at Hobby Lobby. We apologize for anyinconvenience you may have experienced while shopping at Hobby Lobby.Hobby Lobby is not discontinuing our line of Dollhouses and Miniatures;I believe you have been misinformed. One particular brand of Dollhouse,by Dura-Craft, is being deleted, due to their ceasing of operations overa year ago. We are currently waiting for shipments of items to arrive inour warehouse, so the stores can be replenished. Your feedback on the performance of our stores is appreciated; it helpsus to better serve you, the customer. Thank you for taking the time totell us about your experiences with our store and giving us theopportunity to better serve you. We hope that you will continue to shop at Hobby Lobby and that all ofyour future visits are pleasant and productive.

I was very surprised to hear from them but also very happy that they plan on restocking. Now how do we get them to stock Greenleaf houses?

Although I don't think I said anything about they were discontinuing--just that lately there was not much selection.

That is so cool that we are getting responses to our survey. It must have been a big response since they customized an email especially for us and NOT a generic one. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside that they are willing to answer & listen to there customers!! Kudos for Hobby Lobby!