What is "matt emulsion" paint?

ItzKathyP

Dumb question, I'm sure, but I've really not heard the term "matt emulsion" paint used before. I'm about to try Bromley's stone stencils for the first time & they recommend this for the base coat that will show as the grout color.

Any input on the Bromley product, by the way? It looks SO nice in the pictures on their website - I'd love to get it to look even half as nice. I'm not very talented in this way, however, so am a little nervous about it. :yikes:

If I had waited until the mail came today I would have had my answer! Dawn at Dollsandminis.com enclosed a very helpful note with my Bromley materials, on which the first item was "Matt emulsion paint = Flat latex paint." Thanks, Dawn!!

I'm using this for my Fairfield, and what a fun build that is!! I think I might just like the half scale better than 1" scale. Trouble is, now that I've bought the stencil & compound, I have to wait 'til I get paid next week to get the rest of the materials. Oh well, there are lots of other things I can work on meanwhile, but it sure is hard to wait!

Oh, I built the 1:24 "pueblo" kit from HBS and I really like 1:24 scale!
Oh, that's La Casita! I didn't realize it was 1:24. It looks wonderful!! My favorite thing is the painted kitchen dresser and I love the outdoor stove too.

Thank you! I built the stove from plans in last year's first DHM Ashdown published (my last copy they sent) and used basswood instead of card. Except for the caned ladderback kitchen chairs, which I made from "scratch", all the kitchen furniture is kits, as was the filigree table in la sala and the bedroom furniture & setee on the balcony (that doesn't sho up). I'm getting ready to reupholter thsala furniture and take a picture with the rug I just stitched. I did not like the kits, particularly, as the drawers didn't work with all the pieces in place. I had better luck with 1:12 scale kits & scratch-built furniture, maybe I'll reduce some of my 1:12 schematics and see hoe they work out for 1:24.

maybe I'll reduce some of my 1:12 schematics and see how they work out for 1:24.
That should work. I just copied a plan for a trestle table on Jennifer's Printables' site and plan to scale it down for my Fairfield. It's asking to be an old house in a present-day beachside town, like Flagler Beach where I work. We can expect some BRIGHT colors for the outside, and inside will be very Pottery Barn style. I had not the slightest thought in my mind that this is what the house would become until it told me so a few days ago.

My mother's youngest brother his wife retired to Flagler Beach, where we frequently visited them when we lived in Jax, until they both died. I don't recall any old houses, but between the ocean and the Intracoastal Waterway structures do age very rapidly!

How neat that you have a connection to Flagler Beach! I work right in the main drag, (such as it is) less than a block from the beach. The City of Flagler Beach was incorporated in 1925 so, no - there aren't any REALLY old houses, and certainly none that look like the Fairfield. This is my Fairfield's dream town - maybe we'll call it Fairfield Beach!! <_< It would probably be a little farther north to be really true to the idea the house & I have in mind, which is an old house that happened to end up in the midst of a touristy beach town. Maybe the Virginia Beach area?

"Matt emulsion paint = Flat latex paint."

bit late in on this thread but it answers my question too :wub:.....had always wondered what 'Flat Latex paint' was <_< especially for the fling when everyone said to only paint the roof with the latex paint...i'm thinking ooops but all is well i used emulsion anyways ;)

i'm in a rambling mood today :p

Kathleen, have you even been to Bah Hahbah, ME? (Spelled Bar Harbor, but that's how it sounds to my ears when the local folks say it) I'm planning to bash two Fairfield kits together to make a summer cottage in Bar Harbor.

Your Fairfield would look quite at home a bit further South (I grew up in West Palm Beach and went to the beach frequently).

had always wondered what 'Flat Latex paint' was

Ah, the subtle differences between English English & American English.

Holly, I'm pleased to hear that my Fairfield could still find a home in Florida since it's so insistent upon being here. You know how these houses get! :idiot: