I bought this house from micheals

asherah

Hey thats a great idea! I just found a piece of my pink stripey wallpaper so I made sort of a long awning across the front and added a piece to the gable...at least its more colorful.

I like the garbage can idea! Thanks :)

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too big. This is half scale, remember. I have a big pot full of stew, but it hangs too low. I need something about the size of a Alene's glue cap. In fact, that would be great if I could glue a handle to it. Hmmm...Might be worth a try.

That is really tiny! I was going to suggest the cap off a travel set of shampoo/conditioner bottle. Some of them are very round, and would be a good cauldron shape, but it sounds like even that would be too big.

Love the idea of the overflowing garbage can - it would be perfect. :)

I was digging around in my sample bottles etc and can't quite get a garbage can sized object yet. Thats the fun of 1/2 scale ( or the frustration). How about an acorn cap painted for a pot? My yard is full of those things. I was trying to think of something to use some of them for. :)

If your cauldron bottle cap is plastic and you are steady of hand you can heat the end of a pin and melt holes on either side just below the edge to bend a wire handle into.

That's a great thought, Holly.

Roxxie, what about the bottom end off an old pen? I kept one to use as a tumbler in a 1:12 scale dh, but it might be good for a wastepaper basket in a 1:24 scale dh. Wait a second ... this is for the outside garbage pail? Would the plastic ribbed condiments containers work? People sometimes turn them upside down for a lampshade - would they be the right size for your garbage can?

Did you all see the post on the Ebay and Craigslist thread? Someone sold one of these houses and the furniture - for muuuuch more than they cost! It's definitely a puzzle house - it even shows the blue background label with the house pics on it.

I saw that. But I guess the bidders are from some area that doesn't have a Michael's!

I think I found something for my pot if I can make the holes in it-the cap off a kid's lip balm! Will try later.

I just got back from Michaels ( again...had to use a 50% coupon) and they had a ton of puzzle houses again!

They were $2.50! I had one in my hand but put it back...I rather spend it on my big house now.

I went to Hallmark and they had that old 1940's motorcycle but its really teeny tiny about an inch long!

Still looking for the trash can...wasn't sure what you were referring to Sherry....duh!

Somebody mentioned condiment containers. They're ribbed, kind of like the ones you get honey mustard for your popcorn chicken in, at Sonic. With the jump rings on them they ought to look good. Or just do like I did and go to the dollar store and browse the cosmetics aisle until you see a lid the right size and shape...it'll be worth the dollar! I found a kid's lip balm with the perfect lid for my pot! Melted holes in it for the handle with a sewing machine needle, and now it's hanging in the garage waiting for the next coat of spray paint. The lip balm (made in China) is in the trash bag in my car, so the kids won't get hold of it and get poisoned or something!

Sherry,

the lip balm cap is a great idea! I was going to suggest a plastic pony bead, but your idea is better! I'll have to hunt one down for my other puzzle house since it's going to be a witches cottage, definately will need a cauldron. Your Snow White Cottage is coming along beautifully.

Roxxie,

How about a cap from a body spray, its not ribbed, but add some handles and paint it, it could work. Lovin your little shop, hope you find that motorcycle. You know, if you want that trash can ribbed, you could glue strips of sewing thread down the sides before you paint it.

I've used the empty liquid coffee creamers that you get from restaurants for trash cans. They're ribbed, easy to paint, and would be the right size for outside. If you need something smaller you could use a sewing thimble.

Small cauldrons can be made from the rubber caps you get at hardware stores to put over exposed screw ends. They come in black and an assortment of colors. If you want to give your lip balm cap a rough cast iron look you could paint it and then roll it in fine craft sand while still wet--then paint over it again.

Manor House minis has a garbage can, it might be too big, but take a look.

I've been working on getting the tray ready to landscape, until Roxxie asked me about the wishing well...I had forgotten how important it is to the story! So I've spent today trying to get a well made. Right now, the roof is ready, but I'm waiting on the modpodge to dry so I can grout the rocks on the bottom. So here we sit!

I found my trash can right under my nose...the lid from my empty glue stick will work just fine.

I went to the Dollar Tree and bought a little motorcycle...its modern but I liked the color...lol I didn't want to spend a lot on it anyway! I need to finish up the second floor...it needs a little something but I am not sure what.

Oh...I got a little Frankenstein and a Mummy at the $ Tree...I guess I am going to making something Halloweeny!

I might use my house shaped shadow box thing...I want to use it for something and its not too big.

Do you know how to make fresh pine look old and stained? hmmmmmmmm

You mean like stain? What is Bug juice? I have woodstain...was thinking gray color. I just had to find those little monster figures! LOL I had almost talked myself out of a Halloween anything! :welcome:

The "Search" feature won't work on "bug". There are two general recipes, the one I use gives a lovely silvery aged look to the wood. I pour isopropyl alcohol into a CLEAN glass jar and add black India ink (drawing ink) a few droppersful at a time, mixing it well & brushing it onto a scrap of wood and letting it dry until it's the color I want. I also keep track of how many coats I apply. Do use the plain alcohol without scents, colors or other additives. It's probably the only time I use a sponge brush.

Thanks...I used up some gray paint I had mixed and was done with, watered it down and painted it on. I wiped with a paper towel and now its kind of a gray stain on the wood. I think it needs more of something maybe I should experiment since it doesn't matter if its not perfect...its Halloweeny!

I got all excited after reading about the cool stuff that members on here have been finding at their Dollar Tree stores, so I sashayed over to mine (with great expectations), and I have to say: I am deeply disappointed. Mine didn't have SQUAT. Shame on them! The little Frankenstein & Mummy sound great . . . I guess I'll be watching to see if we get them.