Survey

cjack

Hi All! Since most of you are seasoned miniaturists I was wondering if I could get your input on some magazines. I currently subscrible to Dollhouse Miniatures and Miniature Collector. I understand there is another out there called American Miniatures or something like that. And if my memory serves me correctly (which isn't terribly often!) American Miniatures is extremely expensive. Do any of you have special fondness for any of the above magazines. If so, why? I am thinking about also subscribing to American Miniatures, but would like to know if it is worth the money and do they have tips and things like the other two I currently take. Would appreciate any and all comments. Thanks!

I know that alot of people like the magazine. It is smaller in size and i have read comments about people liking it because they can carry the issues around in their purse. Personally, I think for the price it should be full size :blink: .....or larger ;) I have one issue of this magazine from a couple of years ago...could be this particular issue wasn't great, but i wasn't impressed with it and would want to see another issue before deciding on spending so much a year on it. So, in my personal experience, at this point i don't think it's worth the money....however i can't seem to get enough of magazines and looking at other peoples work, so maybe in the future i'll get it. I don't know if that helps you or not. I haven't seen much negative written about this magazine other than the high cost for the subscription. :) Margarita

Hi Cjack,

I love American Miniaturist. I don't think it's expensive either, not really. Dollhouse Miniatures I think has really gotten better over the last few months. Miniature Collector I don't think I would ever subscribe to - they have wonderful pictures, great articles about collections and when they do have a how-to article it's usually Awesome!... the problem is they don't often have how-to articles and that's what I really buy magazines for - so since the local news stand carries Miniature Collector.. I buy it once every.. probably 4 or 5 months. American Miniaturist on the other hand I try to pick up every month. There have only been a few issues that didn't have enough to tempt me.

The cover price on Dollhouse Miniatures is $4.95 and American Miniaturist is 5.95 so there's a one dollar difference - that definitely adds up over 12 issues but to me it's worth it! If you want to buy a sample copy before subscribing they can be ordered individually from Earth and Tree which is a really nice shop and they sell online also and you could pick up a current issue and a couple of back issues to see if you think it's the right magazine for you before subscribing. This months issue of AM is very wedding oriented though.

Here's a preview of how-to's:

Maypole and May Baskets

Wedding Gown (instructions and pattern)

1:12 scale breadbox for a 1:144 scale kitchen room box

How to make a kettle type BBQ

scale 4 tier wedding cake

Wedding Cake table with table covers and draping

Making silk ribon roses (miniature of course)

and a small 2 page instructional article on making trim molding which I haven't read yet.

Hop this helps some,

-David

Oh - I should add about the size of the magazine - it is smaller than 8x10 but not smaller in content - it has a squared spine instead of the rounded staple in the middle like other magazines and better quality paper than the other magazines which means it stands up to being read and re-read better than the bigger size magazines and with slightly thicker covers they dont' get damaged as easily. I honetly wish all the magazines would go to that format so they could be stored easier on a book shelf. DHM almost gets wrinkled if you look at it wrong. But my American Miniaturists I can take with me to read if I go camping or have to wait like in a waiting room. They're very sturdy. I get the feeling they're really meant to be read and used so they're built to be able to take that.

-David

I'm not a magazine reader, but when I was at Auntie Em's yesterday, the other shopper there was having an absolute drool-and-rave over American Miniaturist, in concert with the gal who was in charge. The floor was all but damp from their enthusiasm.

I'm a charter subscriber to AM, because it started up at a time when Kalmbach was letting DHM "go by the boards", so to speak (this was in 03), and the quality of DHM improved after AM began coming out. I also sub to DHM, I just restarted after Medavor took over, and it was Terry, the editor, who "sold" me, he is VERY responsive to the readers ;) .

they don't often have how-to articles and that's what I really buy magazines for
I agree about MC.

This months issue of AM is very wedding oriented though

This month's DHM is Art Deco oriented, including an Art Deco wedding dress!

For years I subbed to DHMS/ Dolls' House & MiniatureScene because in addition to a diversity of projects in a variety of scales about every second to fourth issue would include dollhouse plans! When the Fanceys sold their magazines to the Warner Group the house plans stopped and imho the overall quality of the DIY projects has slipped.

Subscribing saves money over buying from the newsstand if you like the magazine well enough to buy it nearly every month, and in my case where there are no mini shops closer than 150 miles and no newsstands that regularly carry any mini magazine, it is definitely a savings. Since I use them all for reference, frequently, I go ahead & subscribe.

Sorry for the book, but I collect books & articles for mini "how-to" :blink:

I recommend all three. If you're nervous about the price on American Miniaturist, why not order one copy? I now sell American Miniaturist on my website, and the convenience of the size is why I love it, also they have wonderful shop reviews and how tos. Miniature Collector is one close to my heart simply because of the fantastic quality miniatures --I'm not so much interested in the how tos, which I get from my other magazines, as much as seeing the articles and pics, and the show and shop info. I hate to play the devils' advocate here, but no one hobby magazine is going to have everything--it's not possible. For instance, American Miniaturist as previously pointed out is a very convenient size, and holds up to traveling, etc. I usually carry one in my purse all the time. Dollhouse Miniature Magazine is great for how tos, and inside info on the new products coming out. It all depends on budget, and preference and what you want in a hobby magazine. I sometimes wish myself that DHM would go back to the old format, and several people or old timers I have spoken with did not like it when they changed the name and the size.

You can check out my website for the issues of American Miniaturist and Miniature Collector I spoke of.

http://www.kingwilliamminiatures.us

I'm sure you won't be disappointed, whichever one you decide upon subscribing to. They are all wonderful magazines.

I subscribe to both Dollhouse Miniatures and American miniaturist.

I live in a non mini zone so being able to puruse the magazines is a treat!

as for a favorite I tend to lean to American Miniaturist. their how to articles are easy to follow and the size of the mag is a perk for me...fits in my purse! but I go back and forth to which I like the most because of the articles. I think all magazines are tooo expensive and I didnt start taking them untill 2 years ago but it has been worth it! I enjoy reading and looking at the photos of everyones collections and projects!

think Deb should send in her Oriental house!

nutti :blink:

At the Tom Bishop show, there were several other magazines being offered there but they were in Spanish. They had WONDERFUL Pictures and "How To" articles. I gotta find one of them so I can tell you the name of it.

I used to also subscribe to Barbie Bazzarr but they have gone under ;) This month is there last issue I think. Yeah, I love Barbie dolls too but she is a Mini though in a bigger scale. :blink:

oooooo I loved that Mag we got also! it was chocked full of stuff to do and eye candy!

the American Magazines should take notice!

I have looked through that mag several times now and found dif stuff each time!

nutti :blink:

I subscribe to a few different types of magazines that I have bought off eBay. I just got a 1 yr sub to DH for $20 instead of the $40 or so offered my the publisher. Have gotten al my mags from teh sam source and never had a problem. Unfortunatley DH is the one mini craft mag they have.

I subscribe to all three but AM is my favorite. I like the fact that there is always a DIY for different scales and great pictures. And the size is so convientant to carry with me.

DHM has alot of articles about shows and collections that I;ll never be able to afford. I'd rather see articles about artisans and DIY's than 6 pages of a show held last year. I let my subscription expire but I started to have withdrawl symptoms and had to renew. Like David said they are getting better each month.

Each mag has its good points and its bad points. They can't please everyone every month.

terri