what did you buy from the 50% off sale?

ilovecats

It said my 1/144 Beacon Hill was on backorder, but when I checked the status today it said it was preparing to ship so they must have gotten more in stock fairly quickly.

I have a 1/144 scale Garfield waiting to be put together too. It'll be fun to see how everyone's micro minis turn out. :D

It'll be fun to see how everyone's micro minis turn out. :D

Since I'm not brave enough to take on a project that tiny yet, I'm gonna live vicariously thru all of you who are building them. :D In other words, I'm dying to see how these micro minis turn out and can't wait till ya'll start building them!

Deb

WOW I had no idea how many orderd the 1/144 :lol: houses!! :lol: I orderd the Garfiled seeing the Beacon hills were out of stock :D I got my Garfield today and Iam looking forward to building this little house. We should get a Garfield 1/144 BLOG going(hint to admnistration) :lol:

I bought a 1/144 Garfield kit- my first 1/144 house!! Now I can actually build something at school that won't turn my dorm room into a pigsty. I was thinking about the 1/144 Beacon Hill, but it was backordered. I wish they had a 1/144 version of my Annabelle- that would be a riot sitting inside my 1/12 monster.

-Lauren

Is there a 1:144 kit of the Annabelle? I'm not sure. But that's why I ordered the BH 1:144, I thought how cool to have a replica of the dollhouse inside the dollhouse. :lol: Did I say that right? :D Oh well.

Susanne

One of the reasons I haven't even considered trying 1:144 (besides osteoarthritis in my fingers & hands) is the cataracts that are slowly making me more nearsighted (my opthomologist is waiting for me to complain before he does the surgery). I had a real shock FINALLY to get my email from Ernie (darned spam filter hasn't been letting them through despite my marking them for delivery) and he is convalescing from cataract surgery!

I had a real shock FINALLY to get my email from Ernie

I got that one today too. I hope he'll bounce back quickly from that.

What do ya'll think of the house boat idea? Pretty cool huh!

Deb

I'd have to make it into a pirate ship. I have wanted to do one of those too. You know some damsel locked in the bowls of the ship ( that is the bottom right?) and the hero walking the plank. :D

What about the guy in distress and the female hero walking the plank?

Susanne

Nope has to be the guy and I'll tell you why. While the pirates were celebrating his capture and little walk his best friend ( you know the one who never gets the girl) is waiting in the cove and will save him after they leave. They will then use her father's ship in disguise to sneak up on them after they have all gotten drunk and save her. You see if it were her walking the plank and was saved why would anybody go back to save him? lol :D

You see if it were her walking the plank and was saved why would anybody go back to save him? lol :D

Oh dear! That's not good! Does have a ring of truth to it though ...

It'll be fun to see how everyone's micro minis turn out. :lol:

Yep! That will be fun! I would love to see everyone 's 1/144th Garfields and Beacon Hills built!

I have two kits too, that I've had for a while. A little log cabin and a little farmhouse. How do y'all make those itty bitty trees?

Customs always pulls over all of my HBS parcels and ding me another $16-30 per order. If I'm going to place an order to HBS - might as well be a big one! :lol:

Susanne

Susanne, my post office lady told me to always mark my parcels "gift" and then the recipients (like swaps) don't have to pay any taxes on them. Is that right?

What do ya'll think of the house boat idea? Pretty cool huh!

Deb

Yep, really cool! I would like to build that!

Linda -

You're right about not having to pay customs on packages marked as a gift. That works fine for swaps and stuff like that. But, when I'm buying off of an ebay seller or through a company like HBS, it wouldn't be legal to mark as gifts. I've never asked any of the ebay sellers to do that.

Susanne

Linda -

You're right about not having to pay customs on packages marked as a gift. That works fine for swaps and stuff like that. But, when I'm buying off of an ebay seller or through a company like HBS, it wouldn't be legal to mark as gifts. I've never asked any of the ebay sellers to do that.

Susanne

Susanne, does it matter about being legal? Before the lady at the post office told me that if it weren't marked "gift" the recipient would be taxed on it, I mark it "gift", whether it is or not. They get enough of my money as it is, LOL! If you told the ebayer about it, they would probably do it. The problem is that most people just don't know it.

Susanne, my post office lady told me to always mark my parcels "gift" and then the recipients (like swaps) don't have to pay any taxes on them. Is that right?

Actually that's only partially true, if an item is marked as a gift then $60 CDN is free, anything over that is taxed at the regular rate. Also be cautious of UPS, I've had them use brockerage companies to ferry stuff across the border, as in they pay the taxes and duty to get the items over the border so you don't have to go to a customs office to do it yourself. They charge a fee that's more often than not MORE than the taxes and duty combined. F'rinstance my Silentaire Scorpion was summink like 170 CDN, taxes were around 25 buck, no duty (it's made in the US) and the brockerage fee was 60 bucks. So I had to pay 85 dollars CDN on receipt of the item. Most cities will have a customs office. I could have picked it up in downtown Kingston, paid the 25, and been done with it.

Thanks you guys. You're kind to take an interest. Sorry to whine about the costs of parcels here. I order a lot of miniatures through ebay and U.S. Miniature companies and sellers. The shipping costs plus customs really add up over time. But, it hasn't stopped me. When you have a habit (hobby) you have to feed it......often :D

Susanne

Someone just had a beautiful finished Corona Lily for Buy it Now on eBay.The photos were really large and clear and showed what a gorgeous house the Lily can be.I was really tempted to order a Lily kit,but I was a good girl(for a change)and restrained myself.Maybe for the next sale...if I finish some of my other projects.

I was really tempted to order a Lily kit,but I was a good girl(for a change)and restrained myself.

I hope you're not serious. At 50% off it would have been less than $50. Less than fifty bones. Please don't actually say you didn't go for it. 50 bucks is less than I spend on lunch in a month. Remember there's no 'Best Before' date on a house kit.

I'm kicking myself for not getting one.There'll be other sales,though,and maybe by then my time,space and money problems will be worked out enough to fit another house in my life.I'm thinking of a week's vacation next Fall when the kids are in school and having everything set to see if you CAN build a Lily in 40 hours.Have time to decide what it wants to be,too.The best things I've built are ideas that demanded a structure to exist in, so I'd find the kit that would work and kitbash it 'til it fit the purpose.Alice the Witch(Big Al by Connie Hansen awaiting a transgender transformation) wants a second story added onto the uncompleted one room Thomas Bungalow I've had sitting in the dungeon for years.She wants a high peaked roof,a new flat round porch roof,and a cone shaped dormer with one window in the center,preferably with gold trim.She wants this covered with the black emery cloth the Thomases recommend for the bungalow roof.Oh yeah,she said it needs a fireplace and chimney and stairs to 2nd floor,too.And neat stuff inside while you're at it.And landscape it a little,she doesn't like the dirt and concrete.And don't forget some porch furniture and decor.And she wants a bathroom if I can figure out how and where to add one on,maybe make that little alcove a little bigger...and she's not sure if she wants the all wood interior specified by the Thomases or something unique.Lily will need some occupants,too,maybe a good batch of ghosts...or a packrat oldmaid schoolteacher.

My Lily told me what it wants to be before it ever arrived!

Aren't these talking dollhouses amazing! It's like they communicate through osmosis or something.

Oh how I'd love to decorate and furnish that Lily thats on ebay.

Susanne

You know the Montclair aint saying nothing, excpet plantation mansion. For some reason those mansions don't do a thing for me. I like the house, but nothing's jumping out.