veggies

ilovecats

mmmmm sliced cucumbers and sliced tomatoes (with a bit of salt)....heavenly!!!!! I crave these two veggies almost every day...delicious! :)

Oh man!! In the summer time I could just about live off those two vegetables if they're fresh grown from the garden. Of course I like the tomatos straight off the vine and hot from the sun.. and the cucumbers room temp :) mmm!! Toss in a few grapes and it's heaven. The only others that come close are Fresh ripe Persimons and pomagranates (but those are in the Autumn) Yummm!!!

-David

Oh man!! In the summer time I could just about live off those two vegetables if they're fresh grown from the garden. Of course I like the tomatos straight off the vine and hot from the sun.. and the cucumbers room temp :D mmm!! Toss in a few grapes and it's heaven. The only others that come close are Fresh ripe Persimons and pomagranates (but those are in the Autumn) Yummm!!!

-David

Yes! Vine ripe tomatos are incredible!!!! I planted one tomato plant last year, think i'll do it again this year! Grapes are heavenly, but it's not always easy to get perfect ones...seems like they are too tart alot of the time...i love green grapes especially! I haven't tried a persimon, but it's been years since i've had a pomegranete! Lots of work to get at those little devils! I hope to convince Andrew to become a tomato eater :)

Speaking of which, i am having a late dinner at the moment...sliced tomato and cucumber...and for dessert..strawberries! I was working on my heritage and forgot to eat earlier!

FRied green tomatoes is something I want very bad. This is a GREAT summer snack. :)

I still have NEVER tried them! This year i'll give it a try... B)

Of course I like the tomatos straight off the vine and hot from the sun..

<holding up the salt shaker> You name the garden and I'll be there! As a kid, I used to take a book and a salt shaker out into the garden, sit in the dirt and read while I ate sun warmed tomatoes. I like peas fresh off the vine too. And I love to sit on a porch at sunset and snap green beans.

Deb

ok just to spice up this topic.....

I do NOT eat many veggies

I like green beans, corn and zuchini

thats IT!

oh and carrots

all this talk of veggies is turning me green.

tomatos are just gross

and peas???? I have nothing good to say about those

I do not allow asparagus or spinach or broccoli to be cooked or eaten around me or in my house because the smell lingers for DAYS! :)

I would NOT make a good vegetarian.

now before you start throwing those tomatos at me....remember the more ya throw the less ya got to eat! :D B) :(

nutti :)

tomatos are just gross

now before you start throwing those tomatos at me....remember the more ya throw the less ya got to eat!

nutti :)

:D :o Bite your tongue! Tomatos gross???!!! I THINK NOT!!! For shame!

:) Eat your vegetables...or go to your room young lady!!!!! B) :p

mmmmm back to day dreaming about asparagus..... :(

ok since everyone is talking about tomatos maybe someone can help me out. I love love love tomatos but one certain kind. When I was growing up my mom used to get some that were really juciy not meaty. They were great for just eating or making juice. I tried to find some to grow last year but they were no good. Does anyone know the name of a really juicy tomato?

SuzyQ

Sorry, I don't grow a garden. I buy in the store or at the market. Up here in Canada, I always buy the vine-ripened tomatoes. I don't know any other name for them. But they taste just like my mum's out of the garden. I too love love love tomatoes.

There are three items I always need in my fridge/cupboards to feel that I've got food in the house:

tomatoes

cheese

eggs

I'm not a meat eater (will eat small amounts since my husband likes meat), but I usually cut up lots of tomatoes for me, or I love the tinned sunripe, skinned, seeded, diced in tomato juice. I could eat those every day!!

Susanne

ok since everyone is talking about tomatos maybe someone can help me out. I love love love tomatos but one certain kind. When I was growing up my mom used to get some that were really juciy not meaty. They were great for just eating or making juice. I tried to find some to grow last year but they were no good. Does anyone know the name of a really juicy tomato?

SuzyQ

I'm not much help with gardening questions...but i think there is a "beefsteak" tomato that is supposed to be really delicious. :D

I'm not much help with gardening questions...but i think there is a "beefsteak" tomato that is supposed to be really delicious. :D

I could be wrong but I think Beafsteak is a meaty variety - I like roma's myself not a lot of meat but tons of the nice seedy part that I Love and a good strong flavor too :D There's also one called Better Girl that my grandma used to grow I think it was put out by Burpee but I don't really remember much about the tomato except her saying what a great tomato it was.. she did cook a lot of home made spagetti sauce though if that helps <?>

And hey I don't allow spinich to be cooked in my house either! Ew!!! - nope - I eat it raw :p with Newmans Own Sesame ginger dressing on it yumm :p

:D David

I don't allow spinich to be cooked in my house either! Ew!!! - nope - I eat it raw :D with Newmans Own Sesame ginger dressing on it yumm

My favorite way to eat it, as well as cauliflower & broccoli. I also like to steam spinach just until it turns bright green, but doesn't wilt, or make spinach salad; figuring out how to make a low/ no fat "bacon" dressing without bacon or dripping was a bit of a challenge, but DH loved the results! Cauliflower also roasts well, and both cauliflower & broccoli bake nicely.

I could be wrong but I think Beafsteak is a meaty variety -

:D David

I'm sure you're right! I was throwing out that name because it was the only one i could think of :p:D I love Roma's myself, especially on pizza (pizza marguerita is delicious). :D

okay...spinach...one veggie that i don't care for! :p

Ilovecats and David - EAT YOUR SPINACH!! Didn't your mothers tell you that it was good for you. :D

I also love roasted vegetables. One of my favourites is a combination of chopped turnip, parsnips, and apples. I drizzle a little honey on them ...mmmmm.

Susanne

Ilovecats and David - EAT YOUR SPINACH!! Didn't your mothers tell you that it was good for you. :D

I also love roasted vegetables. One of my favourites is a combination of chopped turnip, parsnips, and apples. I drizzle a little honey on them ...mmmmm.

Susanne

I eat Spinach - I just don't cook it :p Except once I did have it in a quiche' that was pretty good otherwise cooked spinach smells and looks (to me anyway) like stuff I clean out of the fish pond. Nope - I like it raw - besides it has more vitamins raw :D No cooked spinach or... ughhh brussel sprouts :D for me.

-David

No cooked spinach or... ughhh brussel sprouts :D for me.

I wish grocery stores could get the nice little young sprouts fresh, instead of the tough old big ones; the frozen ones are the right size, but cook up mushy. I think that overcooked veggies are the reason so many people don't like to eat them. Two ways we like to eat brussels sprouts cooked just until tender (still have texture) is tossed with either a tablespoon of Dijon mustard or else a tablespoon of peanutbutter with Tabasco sauce to taste. Most veggies have enough water that they can cook on low heat covered just until tender and will still taste wonderful.

EAT YOUR SPINACH!! Didn't your mothers tell you that it was good for you.

Hey Susanne! I'll tell you the same thing I told my mother when she said that:

:D:p:p:p:p:p:p

Deb <ducking and running>

SuzyQ

What you are talking about is either Best Boy or BIg Boy tomatoes. They grown mid summer thru the fall. You will see these in July- Sept at the farmers markets.

I plant Big boys, Beefsteaks and Lemon Yellow tomatoes. Then I have two patio planters with Cherry and Grape tomatoes.

Ohh! I cant wait for warmth! i cant wait to plant! (shaking with anticipation)

I hated veggies as a kid! I would only eat corn! As I have gotten older and had kids of my own my tastes have changed.

My mom was Italian and I hated tomatoes. Can you believe it? She made big pots of sauce and I would be grossed out. Didnt even like them raw!

Love Tomatoes, English cukes and red onion with balsamic vinegrette. Or cukes with pepper and vinegar! Mmmm!

I love brussel sprouts. You prepare them, roll them in olive oil and sea salt and put in oven 350 deg. for 20 min and then stick them under the broiler for 2 min.

Soft inside, crispy outside.

Hate spinach! My mom tried that popeye stuff on me. Didnt work.

Still hate string beans. Long story. But wont eat them. Dh loves them so i cook just for him and girls.

Ilovecats - EAT YOUR SPINACH!!

Susanne

NOPE....DON't WANNNANNNNNAAAA eat spinach!!!! bluck...pluey! :D

YYYYYuuuummmy! brussel sprouts! Steamed in saucepan with just a smidge of water, a pat of butter (the real stuff), a dash of garlic powder and a couple of drops of worchestershire sauce (or Wuh-seh-suh sauce :p )! Then a little sprinkle of salt when they are placed on a plate. I like mine really cooked so they are very tender....mmmmm delicious! mmmm i wonder if we have any sprouts in the freezer at the moment!

As many recipes suggestions I have seen on this site, that should be a mini topic in here. Sounds like we have alot of great cooks who like to glue shingles to things!

I'm with you Heidi,

At least with cooked spinach. Gross Gross Gross.

But there is a local restraunt here that makes a wonderful baby spinach salad with walnuts bleu cheese and a strawberry vinegarette dressing. Now that is good. On days when I wasn't on this diet I would order it with lobster and crab bisque and their oh so good angel biscuts. Yum Yum. :D

SuzyQ

I hated veggies as a kid!

Me too! I would only eat meat and bread, and some fruits. Now I LOVE veggies! Except, I won't eat cooked carrots, but I love them raw, and I'm not fond of cauliflower either, but I'll eat it before I'll eat cooked carrots!