original second empire style with gazebo?

shelbylominac

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen an original second empire style house with a wraparound porch including a gazebo or rotunda feature? I would like to add a dining room addition to the right side of my Beacon Hill while keepng the look of the house attractive :rolleyes: All my internet searches have proven futile :blink:

wow,

some realy great pics, im so inspired. Oh i wish i could start my beacon hill. I think you have just given me ideas to do more bashing on it, AHHHHH.

As for the orgional question sunnyray has pics in the gallery of her beacon with an exteniton, and there is also pics on webshots if you look up beacon hill dollhouse.

Jenn

post-503-1141272170_thumb.jpgpost-503-1141272326_thumb.jpgGreat pics for ideas! From what I've learned, the Beacon Hill is a second empire style house. They usually have a flat or curved mansard roof with dormer windows and brackets named for the fashion in French architecture by Mansart. There are 2 really good websites I found for real houses: www.mansard.org and www.ontarioarchitecture.com. Those canucks have some beautiful houses! Check out 2 of my favorites...

There are quite a few houses like that in my city (New London, CT) but I am afraid if i went out to snap a shot or two they might wonder who that crazy lady is in front of their houses :blink:

I am afraid if i went out to snap a shot or two they might wonder who that crazy lady is in front of their houses :blink:

I quit being concerned with that a LONG time ago! Sometimes I even ask people if I can photograph their house. Most people think it's neat.

I have a picture that may help you. The house I'm talking about is of a style called "steamboat gothic". I think people quit using that term sometime in the last 20 years or so.

The lines of this particular house fall in with the Second Empire and Italianate. It's got a central tower and a big wrap around porch with a central round porch feature, a corner section of porch that looks like it could be rounded too and a porte cochere on the other side.

But ya gotta be patient. I knew I had it in one of my books, and I have to scan it and get it online for you.

I'll be back in a bit with a link for the picture.

I quit being concerned with that a LONG time ago! Sometimes I even ask people if I can photograph their house. Most people think it's neat.

I looked at your photos earlier today....i am in LOVE with the 6th picture...that house is the one i would like to live in :blink: ;)

There are quite a few houses like that in my city (New London, CT) but I am afraid if i went out to snap a shot or two they might wonder who that crazy lady is in front of their houses :blink:

Go for it. One thing that I've learned as I've gotten older, is that people take less notice of you than you think. Meaning ... I'd love to see some photos of houses in your area.

Susanne

I looked at your photos earlier today....i am in LOVE with the 6th picture...that house is the one i would like to live in :blink: ;)

That house is located in Hickory, NC, the city my mom lives in. I wouldn't mind having that one either!

Go for it. One thing that I've learned as I've gotten older, is that people take less notice of you than you think. Meaning ... I'd love to see some photos of houses in your area.

Susanne

Yep. And when I told the owner of the yellow house that I used for inspiration on the Arthur that I used his house for inspiration, he wanted me to email him pictures of my Arthur.

Susanne

Okay.. :blink:

After the snow melts I will go around downtown and near the beach and take some snaps. Hopefully they wont think I am the insurance adjuster or worst yet, the tax adjuster! ;)