how to renovate a tennyson greenleaf dollhouse

blank2834

Hi,

I have just received a Tennyson Dollhouse that is "sort of" built. I would like to make it look like one of the pictures on the box, but the person who "put it together" made a real mess of it. Is there anyone out there who can give me any advice on how to get started in turning this lovely house into what it should look like? By the way, I have never built a dollhouse before. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum family, Heleen. Unfortunately the Tennyson was discontinued mini years ago. The company plans to rerelease many of the discontinued kits, and I hope that the Tennyson will be one of them. Use the "Search" feature to see if any members here have posted pictures of their Tennysons, I'm sure there are several floating around.

I have learned that for me the easiest way to rehabilitate a mess of a dollhouse is to take it all apart as much as possible and begin again.

Hi, :fish1:

I joined a little over a week ago and everybody is most helpful. I have been working on a Pierce Rehab for four weeks. now. Almost immediately I had all sorts of helpful advice and offers for the missing plans.

Some pieces of my Pierce are missing and I need to make new/buy replacements. Other pieces weren't put together with very strong glue and I pulled many off. I have some pictures in my Pierce Rehab gallery of it in the works. By the way, the Pierce strongly resembles the McKinley, except that it has been flipped so the kitchen is on the left instead of the right. The roofline is similar. Not having actually seen a physical McKinley in over 20 years I can't say just how far these similarities go.

I pulled one exterior wall off, worked on the fit a bit and am waiting for decorating before adding the wall and its bay back on - its much trickier to decorate completely assembled. I took out a problematic wall surrounding the staircase and like the effect much better. Don't be afraid to "bash" your house.

Post some pictures of it for us to see! Its also fun to take photos of it in progress to see just how far you've come!

If you'd like to compare notes, just message me. I'd be curious to see how our sibling rehabs progress.

Lynette

• 3 weeks later...

A belated welcome! :D

I'm sorry that I have no Tennyson to show you, but I hope that you have found some useful tips and pics elsewhere on the forum. ;)

If you are trying to remove any hot glue disasters (we don't use hot glue for building - at least, most of us don't), try using a hair dryer to heat and soften the glue. This makes it easier to pry pieces apart, and scrape off the old glue. Sometimes the hot glue just stops working - due to age, or heat, or humidity - it seems to happen for a number of reasons - and the dollhouse becomes "loose", or just starts to fall apart!

If you could post pics of the dollhouse you're trying to complete/repair, I'm sure other members would have more specific advice for you! After making 5 posts you can open your own album. ;)