Roofing

JaimieMarvon

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on roofing other than shingles. I've see the sandpaper "trick". I was thinking on trying that Fleck Stone spray paint. Its about the same effect. Has anyone tried that or somehting else, and whet were the results?

Thanks!!

I dunno how to do it Jaimie, but I know some of the others have used that for roofing, so I'll wait for them to answer.

In the meantime, I'll try to make some links work out of the blogs.

CatColorado's Glencroft: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...d=attach&id=978

Nuttiwebgal's Glencroft, and I think she painted hers: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...d=attach&id=596

Tracy (My Mini Shop) used paperclay for the roof on her Glencroft: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...d=attach&id=630

In building the Haunted House, Calamari made a neat roof: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...=attach&id=1519

And I think CatColorado used sandpaper for the roof of her haunted house: http://www.greenleafdollhouses.com/forum/i...=attach&id=1065

The fleck stone does look nice!

I tried to use it but I didnt care for how it turned out for me.

what I did and do when I dont want to shingle is use a textured paint I mixed myself from pool filter sand and white interior paint after painting it on I than paint it the color I desire.

I do believe Holly has used sandpaper to make shingles from. when she gets back Im sure she will tell you how she did it.

although I do like a nice shingled roof I dont believe every house needs to have it done. good luck finding a method which works for you!

nutti :blink:

Jaimie,

I have used ....

paint,

shingles,

sandpaper,

emory cloth,

copper,

and for the haunted house we used a corrugated scrapbook paper and painted it to look like a tin roof.

I liked the paper clay "shingles" mentioned earlier but its one method I haven't had time to play with myself yet.

Hope this gives you a few more ideas.

Darrell

Most miniature shops sell these textured panels, such as these from the Ernie Man:

http://www.miniatures.com/hbs/global/index...CatalogPage.asp

I thought of using the plastic asphalt of the Garf (if done as a new house). I think they'd look good, but they definitely would need painting. Even if you want them black. Otherwise they'll exactly like what they are: plastic.

Wow! Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. Deeply appreciated. I think I will go ahead with the Fleck Stone. I bought it last week on sale at AC Moore. I tried it out on a scrap piece of wood, along with the other paint colors I was looking into. I like the combination.

Still waiting on my windows to come in. I ordered the working window set for the Garfield. I've still got a lot of work to do before painting the roof.

Thank you all for the compliments on my house. We used the fleck stone but practice on scraps first the get the hang of the thickness. It still amazed me that it works just like spray paint but has this lovely texture to it.

Peggi

I did it! After spackling the corners on my tower roof... and letting it dry for a day of course, I took it out side in the chilly wind and gave it a good coat of Fleck Stone. I LOVE IT. SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much easier than shingles, and a much more even look I think. Well worth the $5.00 I spent on the can, rather then the $5.00 per bag of shingles (that I would need 15 or so bags!).

Last night I took my "removable roof" of fthe Garfield and reinforced the bottom side with more glue. If I have time tonight I will try to spray the rest of the roof. I may have to get another can of Fleck Stone, but still much less $$ then the shingles.

I've slowed down my construction pace a bit now. I started putting the furniture in last week to see what room would be used for what, and got a bit discouraged, but I am "bouncing back". Got to get the outside finished before I will allow myself to do anymore on the inside. I still have to pick out the colors for the house!! Other than knowing that I wanted the roof to be black Im not sure what other colors I want to use. I'm thinking that I might have the base of the house white and only coler (blueish???) be on the trims and window sashes. Then the landscaping will be lots of blue/purple/lavendar flowers.

I just noticed this:

Holly has used sandpaper to make shingles from. when she gets back Im sure she will tell you how she did it.

I measure the sandpaper and draw parallel lines across the back the width of 1/12 the length measurement and cut them into strips. I cut one shingle to 1/12 dimension in card. I stack the strips and jog them so they're all in an even stack and laying the card pattern on top with one side even to the end of the strips I cut 2/3 to 3/4 up the other side, move the card along and continue to cut along the strip to the end. Then I stagger every other row as I glue them to the roof. To make them more to scale next time I'll glue the strips to construction paper first, before cutting them across.

This is how the sandpaper shingles look.

Well, I only got the tower roof done so far, but I reallly like it. I used the "Black" color. So a "back & white" house with some color on the trims... one I get the working window set in from my local DH store.

Still not sure exactly what color they will be. I'll have to test some colors on scrap wood and hold it up to the house. Maybe I'll even post pics of that and take a vote on the colors! :) I love purple hughes, I just don't want the house to look like "candy" or fake, if you know what I mean! Also I've seen the scallop gingerbread on the gables a few different colors to give the house the punch of color. As a matter of fact, there is a real-life modern house nearby that has the scallop gingerbread on the gable with a few colors. Looks pretty.

I don't think I'm going to get much done tonight. I've got a cold and I'm feeling kindo of awful. Might just hit the bed with my DH mags that I won on eBay, since they arrived today.

Hope you feel better soon, Jaimie :) DH & I have been plagued by some "bug" or other, not enough to make us really sick, but enough to sap some energy. We went out to run a few errands & get out of the house & I'm exhausted!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I painted most of my roof pieces with in the last two weeks. I really like the FleckStone paint! Even though I underestimated how far one can would go. I've gone through two cans so far and I'll have to purchase at least one more can. It seems that to get a good effect you have to get it rather thick. If you spray too much in one area its runny, so you have to do more than one coat. Even with 3 cans of FleckStone Paint, its still cheaper then 15 bags of shingles!

I'll get pics up shortly. I've been neglecting the house lately and its a mess!!!