I had to share this story

Missymew

I just got off the phone with my brother. On Tuesday their dog, Pippin (blue heeler cross), had surgery to remove a lump (benign) on her leg. He and his wife have taken the rest of the week off of work to be home with her. Anyway, his wife was just putting a leash on their other dog, Jasper (german shepherd cross), to take him for his daily walk. My brother was putting Pippin in the car to follow along while Jasper was having his walk. Since their older alpha dog, Seirra, died last September, Jasper and Pippin don't like to be separated.

As Pippin can't walk yet, my brother drives along beside Jackie and Jasper ... car window down ... so that the dogs can be together. Later, he and his wife switch places.

Stranger stories than this ???

Susanne

Do you think my brother and his wife love their dogs!! Spoilt ... just a little.

He's also making them home made beef stew for dinner. My brother's a great cook. The words "home made" and food aren't used together very often at my house.

A few years back, my brother and his wife looked after preparing meals for my hubby and I while I was recuperating from surgery. My husband and I were aware of all the good food that can be cooked in a kitchen.

I remember my brother looking in all the pretty ornaments (I think he called them cannisters) that I had on my kitchen counters and asking me where the food was. I just looked at him and asked "you mean you're supposed to put food in them?".

He just helped me to the couch and started banging those pots and pans ... oh yeah, after he'd gone grocery shopping.

Susanne

That's a funnny story Susanne.

And I thought I was crazy about my pets. My cat had a kitten that she abondoned and I had stimulated it with a wet cotton ball to make it use the bathroom or it would die. My husband thought I was nuts!!! A mother does what a mother has to do!!! :blink: And now she is a beautiful long haired Diva.

SuzyQ

I have a neighbor who has a large golden retriever, about 75 pounds, She is a tiny woman, and the dog just drags her around. So when its time to walk the dog, she gets in her car and drives around the block a few times and the dog runs beside the car and does his laps. It looks very strange when you see it the first time.

terri

I have a neighbor who has a large golden retriever, about 75 pounds, She is a tiny woman, and the dog just drags her around. So when its time to walk the dog, she gets in her car and drives around the block a few times and the dog runs beside the car and does his laps. It looks very strange when you see it the first time.

terri

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope that dog's not on a leash, cause if it is and it ever trips and falls it's going straight under the car's wheels.

My DM used to poach chicken livers in butter (NOT margarine) or grill porterhouse for her nasty little toy poodle. When she died no one wanted the dog, but we had three little boys who decided they wanted Grandma's dog, so after the funeral I drove back in her car with the kids & dog while DH drove a U-Haul with the antiques, and I had a bag of dogfood to feed him. He wouldn't eat it. When we got home (in OH at the time) I put the bowl of dogfood in the pantry for him. It took that rotten pooch five days to figure out if he wanted to eat it was going to be dogfood, but once he also figured out what happened when he tried to get up on the dining table to eat what we were eating (he only tried it once, he wasn't really stupid, just stubborn) he discovered he actually liked the dogfood.

I really love animals, but that one taught me the art of "tough love".

Holly that is exactly the way my grandmother's little UGLY yorkie is ;)

My DM used to poach chicken livers in butter (NOT margarine) or grill porterhouse for her nasty little toy poodle.  When she died no one wanted the dog, but we had three little boys who decided they wanted Grandma's dog, so after the funeral I drove back in her car with the kids & dog while DH drove a U-Haul with the antiques, and I had a bag of dogfood to feed him.  He wouldn't eat it.  When we got home (in OH at the time) I put the bowl of dogfood in the pantry for him.  It took that rotten pooch five days to figure out if he wanted to eat it was going to be dogfood, but once he also figured out what happened when he tried to get up on the dining table to eat what we were eating (he only tried it once, he wasn't really stupid, just stubborn) he discovered he actually liked the dogfood.

I really love animals, but that one taught me the art of "tough love".

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I cook chicken livers for my cats. I boil them in water though. Missy Mew is full-figured and we try to watch her diet as best as we can.

Today it's "give a bonus to the Gas Company" day at our house.

There are several ways that we handle this at our house:

1. Husband must be at work!! ... check

2. Weather must be very cold!! ... check

3. Sun must be shining. ... check

(Our house faces south and up North where we live the sun is low in the south)

4. Open front door ... check

5. Lock screen door ... check

6. Place upholstered chair in front of the door ... check

7. Cats jump onto chair ... check

8. Turn furnace up high ... check

This way, the cats get to feel enough of the cold air through the screen door that it gives them the feeling that they're outside.

Sun sets around 5:20 P.M. right now ... hubby comes home at 6:00 ... CHECK!!!

Susanne

My beagles get a combantion of things for there dinners they get any and grease that is left over from chicken,beef etc. once inawhile they will get chicken livers and beef livers. They also get brewers yeast,garlic (to keep fleas off) cod liver oil(for shiney coat) and they eat the lamb and rice science diet dog food. IF there are no left overs they get canned dog food which they will eat but really like the leftovers. I make them there own dog biscuits seeing there allergic to wheat products. But over all there very healthy.I also know there family history too ;) Bart is the right picture and Autumn the left.

post-363-1140966059_thumb.jpg

post-363-1140966094_thumb.jpg

Our old beagle started out a house dog and ate a veried and healthy diet, our half & half has always been an outdoor dog and gets a simpler diet, since she tends to "supplement" with things she catches.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Bart prefers to be outside more then in the HOUSE he also is great mouser ;) he was suppose to be a rabbit dog ;)

I love my cats and my dogs and we treat them just as well as our own children. They all have nicknames. And know their nicknames.

We have a 16 yr old beagle mix who is getting long in the tooth. We bought a baby gate so she would go upstairs anymore. She kept falling down and then would walk funny. She is better now since she is segregated ds. She has a dog bed that i wash every week and febreze (like i am making up our own beds). We are waiting until she shows signs of pain and distress b4 we put her down. Our first dog!

Our Minpin named tyson is spoilt! Spoilt! Spoilt! He was abused from former owner and was never housetrained. He is 9yr and I have loved him so much that he isnt food aggressive anymore, knows to go outside (but we still catch him lifting leg), He has a special spot in the upstairs bathroom with housebreaking pads for potty.( he chose that area and we kept it up because we just cant break him of the habit). Now I dont like dirty animals but he is so lovable that i have forgone my own convictions and am dealing with the smell of Ode`d TyTy.

Cats get fried chicken and turkey livers.

Pokie our senior citizen. She doesnt Arf! She AARPs!

Tyson. Our lil baby

I love my cats and my dogs and we treat them just as well as our own children. They all have nicknames. And know their nicknames.

We have a 16 yr old beagle mix who is getting long in the tooth. We bought a baby gate so she would go upstairs anymore. She kept falling down and then would walk funny. She is better now since she is segregated ds. She has a dog bed that i wash every week and febreze (like i am making up our own beds). We are waiting until she shows signs of pain and distress b4 we put her down. Our first dog!

Tyson. Our lil baby

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Susanne That is a loveing story of your animals. My prayers are with you and your beagle mix, I know all too well like all of us animal people have seen that it is very hard to see a family member age any species.

Our Minpin named tyson is spoilt! Spoilt! Spoilt! He was abused from former owner and was never housetrained. He is 9yr and I have loved him so much that he isnt food aggressive anymore, knows to go outside (but we still catch him lifting leg), He has a special spot in the upstairs bathroom with housebreaking pads for potty.( he chose that area and we kept it up because we just cant break him of the habit). Now I dont like dirty animals but he is so lovable that i have forgone my own convictions and am dealing with the smell of Ode`d TyTy.

Cats get fried chicken and turkey livers.

Tyson. Our lil baby

As for Tyson he is darling and I dont blame you for keeping him reagrdless if hes housebroke or not.I see how he stole your heart ;)

Iam currently looking into adopting a 4 year old St Beranrd ;)

waiting until she shows signs of pain and distress b4 we put her down.

We've never put down our fur babies. The nasty poodle got torn up by a neighbor dog and I took him to the vet who thought he could save him, but promised to euthenize him if he couldn't; but the dog simply went into a coma and died within hours, in his sleep. The old beagle also died in his sleep of (for dogs) extreme old age. Our present dog has anti-inflammatory Rx for her arthritis, but doesn't seem to need it since she's begun going out with us on our 2-mile walk/ run every few days.

We've never put down our fur babies. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I really dont like the thought of putting her down either. It is just in the back of my mind. If she were to lose the use of her back legs (she loses balance easily, and sometimes drags back foot lil when she walks), I wont have the heart to leave her that way. Vet says it is probably from one of her tumbles down the stairs. She doesnt have visible pain, but she is deaf and blind now.

Okay, dont like this icky talk! Pocahantas (one of pokie`s nicknames) is fine and dandy and her nose still works and can still beg like the best of them!

Susanne I liked your story about your cats.

As you know I have 3 cats. They are inside, outside cats. So they are back and forth all day long. (all but one stays in the garage at night so we can get some sleep.)

I cannot sleep in mornings because even outside they know when I am in bed . One constantly knocks on the glass door with his paws to get in and the other 2 simply HANG on the screens untiil I let them in. They look so funny!! I tried to take the screens out once, that was hilarious watching them jump up and slide down the glass. Unfortunatly they were smart enough the next season to know I had put the screens back in. ;) Needless to say if we ever sell this house we will have to replace all the screens first.

SuzyQ