oops

dyonis

Ok, I'm doing my first dollhouse,The Orchard and I don't recall anywhere in the instructions to wallpaper or paint the house inside. My problem is now, I have the house put together, and I still don't have it wallpapered or painted. My question is, do I need to tear half this house apart to do this, or can it be done while put together? windows are already taped over for the painting. Dyonis

Thanks, I was going to take the roof off and do the papering, but I think I'll leave it on, since I hot glued it (I know it's a nono). so, I'll wait til that falls apart then redo the roof, on the inside, I'll just paint carefully, and put a little wallpaper at the alcoves, maybe. It's not like I have to have it finished by yesterday, thank god.

I did my Orchid interior after it was assembled on purpose. It's very doable in this particular house. The only hitch will be, if you have already put the stairs in, it makes things just a little tricky on that wall. Good luck, and have fun!

This is not impossible to do after it is put together......just a little trickier! Make yourself some templates and then cut the paper to fit, and either glue to cardstock or on the wall directly. Please prime first with plain white paint all of the areas not to be stained....... There are wonderful tutorials and blogs on here on how to finish your dollhouse!

Welcome to the forum!

In my Orchid building blog I believe I mentioned that I decorated upstairs as I built, then got primer drips running all over the paper and had to remove it & start over after it was together. I didn't even finish the downstairs until after it was together because I realized I had left the materials I had planned to use at home.

One useful thing this hobby teaches you is to improvise...

No, I already primered the outside. I have been staring at it for 3 days now, and I'm thinking of a light cream color, with cranberry and hunter green trim. I was thinking about maybe a little ivy on the side of it. and maybe some planters in the windows. Oh, the possibilities. If I keep this up, I'll never get the first house done.

And when you electrify a house, you kinda have to do the wallpapering and painting after it's assembled.

Not so. I always paint and paper before I put the house together. I plan the routes for my electrical wires beforehand, and then make templates on those walls/ceilings or floors. On those particular walls, I paint or wallpaper the templates.

After wallpapering/painting the non-electrical walls, I put the house together. Then I run the electrical, and then use double sided tape to put the template walls/floors/ceilings on. It comes together so easily that way. I don't have to do any bending, reaching, stretching. Then I install mouldings and baseboards.

For me, this works the best.

-Susanne

No, I already primered the outside. I have been staring at it for 3 days now, and I'm thinking of a light cream color, with cranberry and hunter green trim. I was thinking about maybe a little ivy on the side of it. and maybe some planters in the windows. Oh, the possibilities. If I keep this up, I'll never get the first house done.

Your proposed color scheme sounds totally lovely.

You don't have to "finish" the first house before you begin to build another!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished my first dollhouse (The Coventry Cottage) and I decorated after I was done assembling. I had a really hard time envisioning what each room was until it was all put together. I didn't have any real problems, except in one room that had 3 walls, but I still managed to make it work. Good luck!

-andrea