I'm missing the icons, emoticons, and "what-nots" -

This is really weird - there are all sorts of blank spots where I'm used to seeing visual information. For instance, the box on the left that usually displays a few "smiley faces" to choose for a "quickpick" (when creating a post) is a blank white rectangle. All the symbols at the bottom of a page of threads (and beside each thread) to indicate "new", "hot topic", etc. are all blank white spaces.

I haven't changed anything on the computer .... am I the lonely only one this has happened to? What did I do? What CAN I do? ... help ... please ...

Rosalind, one day I was creeped out to see the forum in a white screen "outline" format with NOTHING; no icons, etc; I hit F5 and everything went back to normal. Deleting cookies is also good, and when all else fails you can go to "Tools" and "Internet Options" and delete cookies and clear history, too.

• 1 year later...

Someone who can explain it better, weigh in here! As I understand it (:)) "cookies" are the changes a website allows to personalize it (passwords, etc) and on the Forum homepage under the strip of random images there are some clickable options, and the first one is a button to delete cookies. It's also available on your toolbar under "tools" when you click on "internet options" (that one will delete ALL your cookies, not just on this site).

Sigh........................so far no deal..no emoticons! And I miss them because I use them so much. Well, I'm sure it's something stupid I've done.At least I can still type! Ha!

Am so sorry to admit this.....what are cookies and how do you delete them??

I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't know about cookies. There are lots of things on the computer I am totally inept at. I'm afraid to delete anything. I just renewed my Norton and everything is different ever since. My email format just changed and I didn't do it. I want the old version back and don't know how to do that either. :(

LLyn-not sure if this will help, but sometimes my emoticons are in another popup box at the bottom of my computer screen. Make sure it isn't doing that. Also, I think I read some where that Syphon79 is good at IT stuff-she may be able to help you (Daphne).

I'm no computer guru, I would've only suggested the same things as everyone else. Aside from running a virus check to make sure nothing is "hijacking" your computer.

Good Luck.

Deb is also a computer pro, and yes, when I click on the emoticon icon it immediately goes to the bottom of the screen and I have an arrow in the internet icon indicating I have two (or more) items open in that screen.