Aaaargh! I broke a window!

miniwendy

Before I put it in.... :)

Its just a little sheet of plastic with an arched top and the window design stenciled/printed onto it. Goes on the front of the LaFayette.

What do I do? It's cracked across the arch in a big way. Its really bad enough that I don't think its usable, at least not the semi circle section. The bottom section of the window that's just a rectangle is ok.

Wendy

Are you talking about the plastic itself is cracked?

Put the framing together (do not glue) and see if you can really see it or does it hide it enough that you dont. If it is so bad that it really bothers you, you can go to the craft store and get some acetate. Then just cut it in the shape you want. If you want it to be designed..you can get some stained glass liquid, some stained glass leading (liquid also) and make it into a stained glass window.

Yes, its the plastic itself. And it is bad enough that I can't glue it in bc its in pieces (got mangled by a small child).

I'll try the acetate- that's such an excellent idea! I was going to cut up the plastic on a spaghetti box and use it, but its really really thin and flimsy.

And the eraser pen is a great idea, especially since I've already got one in my desk :)

Thanks!!!

Wendy

Wow- that's a gorgeous stained glass window, Holly! I love the shell motif in the bathroom. I'll check out the liquid lead when I go to Hobby Lobby (to get the billion supplies I now "need").

Thanks, and glad to know there's someone else out there in the universe who likes both kayaks and dollhouses! :whistle:

Wendy

Good luck making a new window for your house. I had to email Greenleaf in hopes of buying a whole new sheet of windows for my Willow(the house of many issues) as it is now referred to! My loving family, were so kind as to surprise me by cleaning up the house, and threw them in the garbage! Of course trash day has already come since, so...I kept my cool, thanked them for the surprise, and pray Greenleaf can fix me up.

:lol: Yikes! What a dilemma - you don't want to discourage the house cleaning, but to lose your windows....

I bought the window stain glass paint today, and of course completely forgot to get the acetate bc there I was in Hobby Lobby wandering around totally distracted by all the goodies.

Wendy

Edited by miniwendy

Wendy, you can use any kind of clear plastic, it doesn't need to be specially purchased craft acrylic. The spaghetti box plastic may have been on the thin side, but half the stuff on the shelf these days seems to be enclosed in plastic that takes a flame thrower or a hacksaw to open. The packaging often has flat areas that can be used. Just be careful that it doesn't get scratched as you wrestle it off the product. :lol:

The clear sheets used for overhead projector displays also work well.

My aforementioned "stained glass" window was made from packaging plastic. Liquid lead didn't work for me, I wound up using black acrylic paint. I use the colors that come in the tubes and mix my own custom colors; a heckuva lot cheaper than buying a bazillion bottles of the "craft paints".